Slow noting with verbalization

Paul Smith, modified 8 Years ago at 3/23/16 7:29 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/23/16 7:29 AM

Slow noting with verbalization

I'm doing Mahasi noting with breath sensations in the nostrils as the anchor object. At this moment I'm verbalizing notes, but it takes a long time compared to all the sensations that I'm noting. When should I drop the verbalization and what should I use as a substitute? Should I mentally 'tap' the sensation or leave it at just knowing it happened? I think I'm stuck at dissolution and searching for a way to progress.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 3/23/16 8:35 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/23/16 8:35 AM

RE: Slow noting with verbalization

Yes, I used tapping or 'snapshots'/'freeze-frames' when I was at stuck points such as dissolution or mid eq.  Empower yourself to do whatever works and to follow your intuition. 
neko, modified 8 Years ago at 3/23/16 6:00 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/23/16 6:00 PM

Paul Smith:
I'm doing Mahasi noting with breath sensations in the nostrils as the anchor object. At this moment I'm verbalizing notes, but it takes a long time compared to all the sensations that I'm noting. When should I drop the verbalization and what should I use as a substitute? Should I mentally 'tap' the sensation or leave it at just knowing it happened? I think I'm stuck at dissolution and searching for a way to progress.

Labelling is a tool to know that you are doing your work and not getting lost in thoughts. So is "tapping", a lighter version of labelling. If you know you can do your work without needing these tricks, feel free to drop them; return to them only as needed.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 3/23/16 9:40 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 3/23/16 9:40 PM

Neko:

Labelling is a tool to know that you are doing your work and not getting lost in thoughts. So is "tapping", a lighter version of labelling. If you know you can do your work without needing these tricks, feel free to drop them; return to them only as needed.

My personal experience was that mental labelling even when I had the instinct not to progressed me faster than going with my gut.