Which are the good Mahasi centers in the eastern US?

Cres Cendo, modified 13 Years ago at 7/3/10 8:44 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 6/10/10 8:50 PM

Which are the good Mahasi centers in the eastern US?

Where are the good Mahasi centers on the east coast where someone who has never formally done Mahasi meditation can learn how to? Around Washington DC would be helpful but anywhere else would be fine too. I notice the IMS and Forest Refuge in MA for longer retreats.
Has anyone heard anything about the Burmese centers in Maryland, specifically, Mingalarama Vihara in Silver Spring and Kaylasa Vihara in Gwynn Oaks, Maryland?
Thanks all.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 6/23/10 2:12 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 6/23/10 2:12 PM

RE: Which are the good Mahasi centers in the eastern US?

I know little of them, but they should be able to tell you themselves, so just ask.

I do remember a friend did a retreat for 10-14 days or so in one of their attics sometime about 9 years ago, but much could have changed since then.
Cres Cendo, modified 13 Years ago at 7/3/10 6:49 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 7/3/10 6:49 PM

Daniel M. Ingram:
I know little of them, but they should be able to tell you themselves, so just ask.

I do remember a friend did a retreat for 10-14 days or so in one of their attics sometime about 9 years ago, but much could have changed since then.

So I have been to each of the centers in MD. The one in Silver Spring is headed by Ashin Asabhacara (Assisted Venerable Sayadaw U Panditabhivamsa at his meditation retreat for American Yogis held at the Green Valley Meditation Center near Eugene, Oregon from May to July 1996) who speaks good English. The other has an English speaking younger monk in his 40s, Ashin Kusula. So here is the question; how important is it to know of their meditation attainments (they have studied years of theory but don't always do intensive meditation). They both referred to the Noble Ones as "them" rather than "us" but that could just be humility (or not?).
What level are most Ashins in terms of their insight knowledge? Are they at least stream enterers?
Thanks.
Vish
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 7/4/10 1:08 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 7/4/10 1:08 AM

Yeah, tough questions:

A few thoughts, not sure how useful:

1) The Mahasi Sayadaw tradition generally consider second path minimum for teaching, but I can't promise that is a firm rule.

2) The monkuses won't generally talk about attainments by standard taboo.

3) Usually you can get a sense if they know what they are talking about by just making progress and seeing if they nod with that sort of look that implies understanding or something like that.

4) Your own practice is key, and if you know Practical Insight Meditation and MCTB, you should be able to do fine if you can just practice as instructed, as that is what makes it all happen, not what someone else has attained.
Cres Cendo, modified 13 Years ago at 7/5/10 2:21 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 7/5/10 2:20 PM

RE: Which are the good Mahasi centers in the eastern US? (Answer)

Daniel M. Ingram:
Yeah, tough questions:

A few thoughts, not sure how useful:

1) The Mahasi Sayadaw tradition generally consider second path minimum for teaching, but I can't promise that is a firm rule.

2) The monkuses won't generally talk about attainments by standard taboo.

3) Usually you can get a sense if they know what they are talking about by just making progress and seeing if they nod with that sort of look that implies understanding or something like that.

4) Your own practice is key, and if you know Practical Insight Meditation and MCTB, you should be able to do fine if you can just practice as instructed, as that is what makes it all happen, not what someone else has attained.

At this point I am just using the quiet and support of the meditation centers and keeping the practice going using the books you outlined. The monks have been most kind and one of them actually remarked that I was a serious meditator and he would like to invite me to Burma at some point. Good sign, I think?!
Thanks a lot.
thumbnail
Michael Zaurov, modified 13 Years ago at 9/25/10 2:58 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/25/10 2:58 AM

Apparently there is a Mahasi retreat center 15 minutes from my house in New Jersey http://www.mahasiusa.org/njtemple.html

I was pretty surprised when I found this! Though their site is all in Burmese... I'm going to call them and see if anyone speaks English there and if they have retreats, which I'm guessing they do. Has anyone perhaps been to this center?

Breadcrumb