Chunks of experience without a sense of time

: ladyfrog :, modified 7 Years ago at 5/3/16 8:04 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/3/16 7:28 PM

Chunks of experience without a sense of time

I have been getting what seem to be portions, chunks, flecks of experience without a sense of time.  They just pop out as frozen... first noticed like a sense of freezing in closed-eye meditation.... here the objects are quite subtle.  The main thing that stands out here, then, is the stasis... almost like you are running and your foot gets caught in a hole.  Appearing now in daily life (maybe just when i kind of lower a bit into a meditative stance) the stasis is still present, but even more noticieable is the contrast (maybe because i'm getting more clarity, maybe because the relative vividness/concreteness of the objects makes the difference between stasis and "regular" time sense seem more pronnounced).

Anyone have this experience?  What does it mean to you?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 7 Years ago at 5/4/16 7:19 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/4/16 7:19 AM

RE: Chunks of experience without a sense of time

Anyone have this experience?  What does it mean to you?

Yes, and it means that time, like space, is a construction - mind creates it as a way to manage experience, to present it in a palatable manner. It's a process very much worth exploring, as Pawel has already said.
: ladyfrog :, modified 7 Years ago at 5/4/16 3:57 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/4/16 3:56 PM

Yes, and it means that time, like space, is a construction - mind creates it as a way to manage experience, to present it in a palatable manner.

Thanks Chris for letting me know.  That is as well the meaning implied to me, and helpful to hear.
: ladyfrog :, modified 7 Years ago at 5/4/16 3:54 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/4/16 3:54 PM

Paweł K:
Time perception manipulation is the most hardcore thing I did. It is something which can really change the way you perceive everything about everything if you find a way to change it. It is not for the faint of heart but for people who are seriously loco. You have been warmed.

Hi Pawel,

Thanks for the response...  and the warning.  It feels like more is opening up for this year than my lifestyle can sustain for now... and so i'll probably just keep watching... but I would guess, either way that at least some aspect of me is seriously loco though, and not faint of heart... so in time it the curiosity or spirit of adventure will probably win at least in looking more carefully there. 
As to having no sense of time: it is definitely possible to accomplish. Perfect perception have however slightly different configuration than just perceiving no time. But it is the same with everything related to cessation of any part of mind. Perhaps dwelling in perception of time is the fastest way to figure this out.
My first reaction when i journaled was that i had no idea how you would pick it apart, but from what you say it seems that it's just an area i don't have subtle sensing developed  - i can play with other aspects related to cessation and see how to kind of pull them out (for whatever reason the visual sense has been a leading edge, and working with subject/self/awareness/object etc. has been the way i've broken things so far).  But this time sense seems to come from some part of the process that is still a mystery to me.  Anyway just knowing it can be done is useful, as well as your experiences described.  For whatever reason i wasn't finding descriptions of this.
: ladyfrog :, modified 7 Years ago at 5/4/16 9:14 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/4/16 8:17 PM

I always like what you write, find something to think about in it.  I am barely holding my shit together, so i will have to give myself over to the squid in due time.  I know, holding my shit together isn't the point either... i have a little child though, and he has to be my priority, to be as solid as i can, in these very early years.  Just the energy stuff that's unfolded this year has been quite hard to ride.

but i keep it all inside me, what i read and know and sense and explore.  in due time.

thanks!
shargrol, modified 7 Years ago at 5/8/16 6:42 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/8/16 6:42 AM

ladyfrog, moderation is a good thing. If possible, try to hang out (online or in person) with other advanced meditators. It really normalizes the freak-out factor and makes all the wild stuff seem like much less of a big deal. Best wishes!
thumbnail
Jake , modified 7 Years ago at 5/6/16 8:39 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/6/16 8:39 AM

Paweł K:

In fact descriptions of mind are so pathetic that you need to be very ardent in ignoring mind when practicing to fit yourself into them. It is some way to keep illusion of being in control going on but that is not the point. This is against the point imho. The point is to dive into deep waters of mind and drown there hopefully being eaten by giant squid or some other tentacled monstrosity.

This made me laugh. Wonderful!

Breadcrumb