breath stoppping, going wrong way, etc

thumbnail
Malcolm, modified 7 Years ago at 6/2/16 11:28 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/2/16 11:28 PM

breath stoppping, going wrong way, etc

a frequent experience during meditation is the breath stops , not like choking more like it just stops because there seems to be no need to breathe and then often when it starts it goes the wrong way like another even more relaxed deeper out breath happens when it should have been an in breath after the initial stoppage after the first out breath.

sometimes it seems like there either is no out or in breath or maybe they are both at once going around in a kind of circle somehow in a very subtle way - very much as if there was no need to breathe at all. 

I'm reading some Kashmir Shaivism at the moment and they make a point of centering awareness between breaths for their own reasons (ie. God consciousness) but this kind of breathing seems to be happening naturally during deep mediation.

any thoughts about breath stoppages?  I think Ramana Maharshi also mentions a connection between breath and thought but I can't accurately recall the significance. 
Michael, modified 7 Years ago at 6/3/16 1:40 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/3/16 1:40 AM

RE: breath stoppping, going wrong way, etc

Thank you for posting this question.  I have this exact experience and am curious people's interpretation and solution.
thumbnail
Nicky, modified 7 Years ago at 6/3/16 4:47 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/3/16 4:47 AM

My answer to this thread is the mind can lose clear awareness of the breathing but due to continued vague awareness of various sensations the mind can sense the breath is doing something that it is not doing. 

For example, during an ordinary in-breath, the abdomen should extent outwards. However, during an extra special very long & refined in-breath, the abandom will first extend outwards & then inwards. If such a movement & associated sensations are not discerned clearly, the mind can become confused. 

To resolve this sense of confusion either: (1) place the hands on the abdomen, chest or below the nostrils to re-orientate the mind; or (2) otherwise, don't worry about it & just surrender (to the will of God) & let go (placing your trust in Him). 

emoticon
thumbnail
Malcolm, modified 7 Years ago at 6/3/16 8:09 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/3/16 8:08 AM

Nicky:
: ... or (2) otherwise, don't worry about it & just surrender (to the will of God) & let go (placing your trust in Him). 

I'm not really worried - just a little curious about it. I like option 2) however for it's own sake!

Breadcrumb