Map of eye phenominon

thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 7 Years ago at 6/24/16 2:29 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/24/16 2:25 PM

Map of eye phenominon

This is a cool flowchart of eye related phenomena. (I love flowcharts and maps)
Check out wikipedia for even more cool visual varieties.
~D

http://www.eye-floaters.info
http://www.eye-floaters.info/floaters/diagram_subjective-visual-phenomena/floco-tausin_diagram__eye-floaters_and_other_subjective-visual-phenomena.png

Right click picture - View Image
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 7 Years ago at 6/24/16 4:30 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/24/16 4:30 PM

RE: Map of eye phenominon

So what's your take on this DW? I definitely get the "visual snow" in dark areas, now that my vision is pretty much locked in panoramic mode (thanks for you help with that, BTW). I never noticed that snow, that I can recall, before my awakening, and it became more obvious as I have unlocked the panoramic aspect, when there are high contrast daylight situations.
C P M, modified 7 Years ago at 6/24/16 5:10 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/24/16 5:09 PM

Hi DW

I encountered that link when doing some research into visual phenomena, I was getting a lot of visual effects during a home retreat.  Some links to some related material:

http://www.philipnicholson.com/home/meditation--light-visions--search-options/meditation-and-light-visions--table-of-contents/Excerpts-from-the-book-Meditation-and-Light-Visions-and-from-Other-Publications

A full version of one of his books is here:

https://www.amazon.com/Meditation-Light-Visions-Neurological-Analysis/dp/1439240337?ie=UTF8&ref_=asap_bc
thumbnail
svmonk, modified 7 Years ago at 6/27/16 9:56 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/27/16 9:54 PM

Hi DW,

Thanx for the post, I downloaded the eye chart to have a closer look, really interesting. I think most of what is described there could be explained by physiological phenomena, like cells sloughing off the inside of the eye and such. I have really bad myopia, strabismus, and astigmatism so my eyes tend to collect this kind of gunk. Since I had one lens replace due to a fluid cataract (kind of catract that develops really quickly and is very difficult to detect) I'm told that I need to watch out for flashing and parts of my visual field going dark as these are signs that a retinal detachment may be in progress. It's fairly easy to fix with laser surgery, but you need to get to a doctor within 48 hours. People who have had any operations on their eyes have a higher lifetime risk of retinal detachment.

But I think the other bit does have some connection with meditation. In particular, when I've done heavy concentration retreats, I tend to see little sparkles everywhere, like stuff is giving them off or they're getting generated by space. Since its unlikely to come from the eye, I think most likely this has something to do with the effect of heavy concentration meditation on the optic areas of the brain. Not sure what to make of it, but it does seem to fit in one of his categories, Blue Sky Sprites or Spots. Also, the hallucinations, they're old and mostly unwelcome friends. emoticon
thumbnail
Jeff Grove, modified 7 Years ago at 6/29/16 7:29 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/29/16 7:29 AM

For those interested I highly recommend reading Floco's book "Mouches Volantes - Eye Floaters as Shining Structure of Consciousness" it is about the authors experience in learning an esoteric Western practice that is very similar to Dzogchens and Bons teaching in Atiyoga and Anuyoga - Thodgal.

Its interesting that he had never heard of the similarities with the Dzogchen practices until pointed out after he wrote the book.

In my practice although I was taught by a Tibetan Monk in the Nyingma school I often refer to Floco's book because I discover more jewels of information that I didn't notice or understand with the first/second reading of the book. Its interesting that you find drawings of thigles in Australian Aboriginal Paintings, Eygptian and across many other shamanistic practices from all over the world. It is universal and probably a very ancient way of seeing and understanding.

Well worth the read as there is a wealth of information and his story shows his very human side that we all struggle with when trying to improve ourselves and it goes against our nature that our enviroment has created and reinforced.

Also check out the Yeshe Lama by Keith Dowman.

cheers
Jeff
Chris, modified 7 Years ago at 7/5/16 3:52 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/5/16 3:52 PM

thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 7 Years ago at 7/6/16 12:32 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/6/16 12:32 AM

I used floaters in the eyes awhile back to great effect.

http://thehamiltonproject.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/yogi-toolbox-floaters.html
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 7 Years ago at 7/19/16 12:34 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/19/16 12:34 PM

Breadcrumb