New Pragmatic Dharma reddit Community

thumbnail
mv, modified 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 12:39 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 12:36 PM

New Pragmatic Dharma reddit Community

Hi all, long-time DhO lurker here! Just wanted to let you know that we've started a new reddit community /r/streamentry (https://www.reddit.com/r/streamentry) for pragmatic dharma and related things. The philosophy is pretty much the same as DhO (though there's no formal affiliation), just organized as a subreddit, which has a different set of pros and cons vs. a custom web forum. We hope it will allow us to reach some additional users.

Despite the name, it's not just for stream-enterers - shore-walkers, Buddhas, and all other beings are welcome. emoticon For those of you who are also reddit users, hope to see you there!
thumbnail
Dada Kind, modified 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 4:40 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 4:40 PM

RE: New Pragmatic Dharma reddit Community

I like this idea. If it takes off it'll be interesting to see how it works out differently.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 5:13 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 5:13 PM

Sweet.  I'll participate.
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 5:28 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 5:27 PM

Best of luck. I'll have to check it out. Having said that, my experience with Reddit (specifically the Zen community) is that it's impossible to have anything like constructive conversations their due to the general immaturity of the posters, who are all looking for "gotcha" moments and flame wars... one reason why I HIGHLY value this community.
thumbnail
mv, modified 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 6:20 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/28/16 6:00 PM

Stirling Campbell:
Best of luck. I'll have to check it out. Having said that, my experience with Reddit (specifically the Zen community) is that it's impossible to have anything like constructive conversations their due to the general immaturity of the posters, who are all looking for "gotcha" moments and flame wars... one reason why I HIGHLY value this community.

Couldn't agree more. Many subreddits are very low-quality. But there are also some that are very high-quality. The most important prerequisite to a high-quality online community, apart from getting the right people to participate, appears to be good, strong moderation backed by clear and consistent policies.

Reddit is great for reducing the friction of participating, but the flip side to that is that things can rapidly degenerate without good moderation. I was motivated to do this specifically to try to grow a high-quality community instead, in contrast to all the low-quality meditation/spirituality/religion subreddits. emoticon

That's why participation and help from DhO folks is so crucial. Perhaps you'd like to be a moderator, Stirling? Could be a fun experiment! emoticon
thumbnail
mv, modified 7 Years ago at 7/3/16 4:43 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/3/16 4:42 AM

Thanks to everyone who's joined us! It's been less than a week and we already have over 100 subscribers. There have already been many fascinating discussions, on topics like the spectrum of jhana, the phenomenology of cessation, and Fire Kasina retreat experiences. Several people who had run into difficulties or confusion on their paths have found support that they otherwise might not have, which is an important part of what we want to achieve, along with the #1 goal of being a place where experienced practitioners can expect to find substantial discussion with peers and friends.

Hope to see even more of you there! emoticon
thumbnail
Noah, modified 7 Years ago at 7/3/16 4:49 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/3/16 4:49 AM

Just to +1, this reddit is awesome sauce emoticon))
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 7 Years ago at 7/4/16 7:50 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/4/16 7:50 PM

mv:
Hi all, long-time DhO lurker here! Just wanted to let you know that we've started a new reddit community /r/streamentry (https://www.reddit.com/r/streamentry) for pragmatic dharma and related things. The philosophy is pretty much the same as DhO (though there's no formal affiliation), just organized as a subreddit, which has a different set of pros and cons vs. a custom web forum. We hope it will allow us to reach some additional users.

Despite the name, it's not just for stream-enterers - shore-walkers, Buddhas, and all other beings are welcome. emoticon For those of you who are also reddit users, hope to see you there!
Hi MV (mirrorvoid),
Perhaps you could introduce yourself and your fellow moderator/s. What experience do you have with moderation/meditation, where are you on the path etc.

Reddit MODERATORS
mv:
Perhaps you'd like to be a moderator, Stirling?

If you would like to find moderators, might I suggest looking to people's post count here to see how active they are here, see if they are active on your reddit, then message them for a skype session to get to know them.
Good luck,
~D
thumbnail
Timmy Davis, modified 7 Years ago at 7/15/16 5:20 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/15/16 5:20 AM

Just subscribed, thanks!
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 7 Years ago at 7/19/16 3:13 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/19/16 3:13 AM

Nice to see high-quality dharma expanding into other venues. I have linked the Reddit group on the links page.
thumbnail
mv, modified 7 Years ago at 8/1/16 6:46 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 8/1/16 6:45 AM

Hi DW, thanks for your interest! I've found a lot of value in your posts here over time. We have a subreddit wiki in the early stages that has an About Us page with some information on regular participants (mods or otherwise). I'm not worried about finding moderators; we're a small subreddit and no doubt will be for some time (the market for awakening is still surprisingly small emoticon ), and so far there's been virtually no moderation work needed. Should the workload ever grow, there are many compassionate and experienced people in the community who can help.
thumbnail
mv, modified 7 Years ago at 8/1/16 6:49 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 8/1/16 6:49 AM

Daniel M. Ingram:
Nice to see high-quality dharma expanding into other venues. I have linked the Reddit group on the links page.

Many thanks for the link, Daniel! (We are, of course, already linking to DhO emoticon )

Breadcrumb