Consciousness: The Mind Messing With the Mind (NYT article)

Dani Mon, modified 7 Years ago at 7/6/16 7:52 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/6/16 7:52 AM

Consciousness: The Mind Messing With the Mind (NYT article)

I understand that enlightement must be something in which the analitical mind plays a very secondary role, if at all. However, I would appreciate if some of the people in this forum with more experience than me gave their opinion on this very interesting and enticing article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/05/science/what-is-consciousness.html

"Michael Graziano, a neuroscientist at Princeton University, suggested to the audience that consciousness is a kind of con game the brain plays with itself. The brain is a computer that evolved to simulate the outside world. Among its internal models is a simulation of itself — a crude approximation of its own neurological processes. Theresult is an illusion. Instead of neurons and synapses, we sense a ghostly presence — a self — inside the head. But it’s all just data processing.“The machine mistakenly thinks it has magic inside it,” Dr. Graziano said. And it calls the magic consciousness.It’s not the existence of this inner voice he finds mysterious. “The phenomenon to explain,” he said, “is why the brain, as a machine, insists it has this property that is nonphysical.”"

Breadcrumb