How does concentration go with Insight in an average sit

Marzo Peir MazPeir, modified 7 Years ago at 7/7/16 1:29 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 7/7/16 1:29 PM

How does concentration go with Insight in an average sit

Hi

I have seen it read that many teachers suggest a beginner should maybe develop their concentration level to Access Concentration first.

My questions are as follows: 

Once Access Concentration is achieved and a person wishes to begin Insight practise, on their daily sittings do they start each sit by first placing the mind into Access Concentration and then beginning their noting/insight method? 

As one does this process repeatedly, does it take less effort/time to place the mind into access concentration?

The reason I ask is that I believe I achieved access concentration, or possibly even 1st Jhana whilst on retreat sometime ago. However I have never recreated this in my lay practise. Once my retreat ended my concentration slowly reduced back down to its normal level - I have recently begun to make a dedicated effort to sit more regulary each day and am hoping that I can make some progress, as currently it takes 20-30minutes just to calm my mind - which wouldn't leave much time for insight practise if this is how long it will take each time

Thank you

Breadcrumb