Message Boards Message Boards

Miscellaneous

List your DhO site problems here

List your DhO site problems here
Answer
7/28/16 3:31 PM
Hi,

From time to time I try to help Daniel out and fix problems with the DhO site. Life being what it is I'm sure there are a number of issue I am not aware of or have forgotten about.

If you are currently having a problem with the DhO (site) I would appreciate if you would post about it here in this thread and I'll see what I can do about fixing it.

One issue that I am currently aware of is that links to uploaded files are currently broken. I'm working on it as time permits but it's been a tough problem to fix.

Thanks,
Simon

RE: List your DhO site problems here
Answer
7/28/16 11:39 PM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
Hey Simon,

I actually thought the site was down because it wouldn't load. This went on for a few weeks, until I cleared my history. Thanks for fighting the good fight.

Jeff

Answer
7/29/16 2:08 AM as a reply to Causes & Conditions.
Hi,

Ah, that's bad. That could very well be related to and fixed by the issue discussed here yesterday:

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/5869888

Depending on certain circumstances the DhO root page could get stuck in a redirect loop which showed itself as the site just trying to load forever.

Simon

Answer
8/3/16 4:31 PM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
Incoming links from Google searches are broken and give 404, probably the urls were changed. Try this search, for example:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Adharmaoverground.org+anything

Also, the "Reply to main thread" button on this page seems to be broken.

Answer
8/3/16 6:00 PM as a reply to neko.
Looks like some posts from the last few days were lost in the update too.

Answer
8/4/16 12:28 AM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
We.03.Aug.2016 4:48 PM PDT

Much better then yesterday, but

1) "Reply to Thread" at the bottom left of whole thread -- does nothing?

2) visually indenting the text posts (rather than just the TOC/index at the top) get unwieldy -- page full of vertical lines with thin column of text at the right,

3) No date-time stamp on each post? This BIG, must be just temporary?

4) Composing post: "Publish" "Save as Draft" "Cancel" -- no "Preview" ? That must also be just temporary; otherwise there might be a lot of editing after posting.

(And remembering to save this text to some local file before clicking any buttons -- yesterday composed a (longer) critique, and it all disappeared after "publish", and certainly wasn't published.)

Edit:
5) Something positive: using "print" to PDF now works much better (not perfect) -- almost WYSIWYG. Used to be only "Save Page As" would get a thread to file for use off-line. (Those fcns as on iMac OS X 10.8.5 Firefox 47.0)

Answer
8/4/16 2:59 PM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
Simon Ekstrand

One issue that I am currently aware of is that links to uploaded files are currently broken. I'm working on it as time permits but it's been a tough problem to fix.

This is now fixed and all previously uploaded files are now available again.

​​​​​​​Simon

Answer
8/4/16 3:15 PM as a reply to neko.
nekoIncoming links from Google searches are broken and give 404, probably the urls were changed. Try this search, for example:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Adharmaoverground.org+anything

Also, the "Reply to main thread" button on this page seems to be broken.
I know what's causing the google search issue (sort of), it should be fixed in the next couple of days or so.

The reply to main thread button is also a known issue.

SImon

Answer
8/4/16 3:18 PM as a reply to CJMacie.
CJMacieWe.03.Aug.2016 4:48 PM PDT

Much better then yesterday, but

1) "Reply to Thread" at the bottom left of whole thread -- does nothing?

2) visually indenting the text posts (rather than just the TOC/index at the top) get unwieldy -- page full of vertical lines with thin column of text at the right,

4) Composing post: "Publish" "Save as Draft" "Cancel" -- no "Preview" ? That must also be just temporary; otherwise there might be a lot of editing after posting.

(And remembering to save this text to some local file before clicking any buttons -- yesterday composed a (longer) critique, and it all disappeared after "publish", and certainly wasn't published.)

1) Yepp, known issue.

2) I also miss the TOC, I'm hoping we can get that running again.

3) Well there is one, it's just.. different, ie. - CJMacie, modified 20 Hours ago.

4) Hadn't noticed that, will see what I can do.

5) Haven't had that happen yet, let me know if you see any pattern to it.

​​​​​​​Simon

Answer
8/5/16 5:05 AM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
Multiple pages I have scrolled through failed to load until I hit the little gear upper right, then they would suddenly load. Until then, the blue line goes across the top again and again and again. Also, some wiki pages, such the Best of the DhO, were very slow to load and sometimes wouldn't load.

BTW: thanks very much for all your work on this. What a pain in the lower regions Liferay upgrades are.

​​​​​​​Daniel

Answer
8/6/16 12:42 AM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.
Daniel M. IngramMultiple pages I have scrolled through failed to load until I hit the little gear upper right, then they would suddenly load. Until then, the blue line goes across the top again and again and again. Also, some wiki pages, such the Best of the DhO, were very slow to load and sometimes wouldn't load.

BTW: thanks very much for all your work on this. What a pain in the lower regions Liferay upgrades are.

​​​​​​​Daniel
Hm, I'm not really experiencing navigation problems to any real degree. Are everyone having the problems with page loads that Daniel are describing?

​​​​​​​Simon

Answer
8/6/16 12:49 AM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
Paweł Kafter somewhat obscure but otherwise very comfortable layout DhO finally entered into full fledged DN ...

Hehe, could you describe the problems you're having in more detail?

From a pure layout perspective it should be possible to get the previous theme running with liferay 7. I don't think that will do much for how posts are ordered in the forum though. 

​​​​​​​Simon 

Answer
8/6/16 2:30 PM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
I agree that there needs to be a date for every post.

Also, the RSS links all seem to point to the same feed, which is not post-specific. They should apply to the specific post, or not be included if that's not possible. On the bright side, you can at least see the post dates in the RSS feed.

Answer
8/6/16 8:34 PM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
1) cjmacie:
see below

2)
cjmacie:
Something positive: using "print" to PDF now works much better (not perfect) -- almost WYSIWYG. Used to be only "Save Page As" would get a thread to file for use off-line. (Those fcns as on iMac OS X10.8.5 Firefox 47.0)
To add, reinforce, positive feedback: the ability to save thread image as PDF is now practically perfect, with WYSIWIG resolution. A lament from one who was there through the earlier evolution (1960s-1990s) of computer science, the discovery of solutions to most of the basic problems, I agree with Alan Kay that, for instance, the widespread ignoring of the WYSIWYG principle in print rendering these days casts doubt on the idea of "progress". As he put it so well: reinventing the wheel can is excusable; reinventing the flat tire/tyre less so.

3) Daniel M. Ingram:
What a pain in the lower regions Liferay upgrades are.
(More lament) Over the last two decades or so, there's a tendency (pioneered by Microsoft among others) to constantly "upgrade" to more fashionable "gumdrops", perhaps justifiable new capabilities, but in other ares reducing function, reducing user choice, and adding cost in terms of both $$/€ and human effort.

4) Wardlaw:
I agree that there needs to be a date for every post.
Seconding the same point I made (above (1)). Lacking date-time for each post makes it difficult to reconstruct, study the exact progression of posts (e.g. across nestings), for the purpose of more knowledgeable further discussion.Likewise the format of "Recent Posts" – lacking information as to who originated a thread, and when (and showing only the last author and only approximately when) amounts to denying, suppressing access to valuable information.

5) (concluding lament) It's as if "…liberty and the pursuit of happiness.." (for the global audience, that's a key phrase in the USA Declaration of Independence) is veering off, in the evolution of information technology, towards slavery and the compounding of unhappiness (dukkha) -- or perhaps DN, as Paweł K put it.

But not to lay this on the shoulders of those here struggling with configuring liferay updates. (Some new "features" we will probably just have to get used to.) From my 40 or so years of experience with info-tech, way back in the last century, even though it may seem now like the "golden age", truth of the matter is that all that was also, every step of the way, neck-deep in dukkha.

P.S. Just noticed -- this post-editor is MUCH IMPROVED! Pasting-in this post, all the color-emphases, italics, etc. came throught perfectly. (Used to have to re-do it all here.) AND the random loss of inter-word spaces doesn't appear to happen now. A bit of sukha. Kudos!

Edit: P.S.S. It all looked great in the composition window -- BUT came out with lack of colors, lost LFs between paragraphs when after being "published",  and some messed-up font sizes. Oh well -- sukha is just temporary, ... Now trying, with "edit" to put all that back in...

Re-Edit: that seems to work, except for font-sizes -- the work has been shifted from composition to editing.

Re-Re-Edit: and the colors don't come through on save-to-PDF...

Answer
8/8/16 12:51 AM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
Just noticed that the new/current thread formatting favors the reply hierarchy, not time-line.

Used to be one could simply look at the bottom to see the most current entry, and so-on going back up through the thread (but more involved to sort-out the hierarchical nesting of replies).

So, how does one get to see just the latest additions now? Without the TOC at the top to rapidly scan, one must sift throught the whole thing?

Without that possibility, IMO, seriously compromised functionality/usability. Potentially fatal flaw.

Answer
8/9/16 10:35 AM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
Has anyone tried reading posts while not logged in? I did and could not read any posts because it just ran the blue line endlessly. It may be that noone else can either, which means no new people can come to the site and see what it is about.

Even while logged in I had to try numerous times to get past the strobing blue line.

Or is this just a test of my equinimity?

Answer
8/9/16 11:18 AM as a reply to David S.
David SHas anyone tried reading posts while not logged in? I did and could not read any posts because it just ran the blue line endlessly. It may be that noone else can either, which means no new people can come to the site and see what it is about.

Even while logged in I had to try numerous times to get past the strobing blue line.

Or is this just a test of my equinimity?

​​​​Hi David,

What operating system/ browser are you using?

​​​​​​​Simon

Answer
8/9/16 11:27 AM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
Thanks for all the feedback. 

Just to provide an update, things are getting fixed, though not exactly quickly. 

​​​​​All the blue buttons should work now, more of them were broken than I realized. For example the reply to main thread button works now. Also redirects when posting to a thread were sort of screwed up and should now work. A number of other items, though not all user visible have also been fixed. 

If things go as planned the search on the site should start working tonight and hopefully be useful now. 

Anyway, sorry it's taking so long but work and life don't leave a great deal of time. 

​​​​​​​Simon

Answer
8/9/16 11:47 AM as a reply to Simon Ekstrand.
That sounds like a lot of work! Thank you for your time and effort. emoticon​​​​​​​