Reichian Therapy - The Technique For Home Use

Kathleen m mcmillan, modified 7 Years ago at 10/15/16 5:38 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/15/16 5:38 PM

Reichian Therapy - The Technique For Home Use

I am wondering if anyone tried the gagging exercises for more than a few gags in the morning as is advised in the book?  I feel like my

diaphragm is completely frozen and am wondering if it would be safe to try gagging like 20 times a day?   Or would this be dangerous? 

Thanks. 
David, modified 7 Years ago at 11/7/16 10:49 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/7/16 10:49 AM

RE: Reichian Therapy - The Technique For Home Use

I would probably recommend consistent work over time over a huge amount of work all at once. Willis constantly recommends giving the system time to reorient, after intense practice. It could bring up overwhelming shadow experience if you force one blockadge too much. But it seems that is one specific place to work with as well.

On another note, I'm going back to this Reichian practice after ceasing it for a long time. I've been delving deep into Reggie Ray's somatic meditation audiobooks and Bruce Frantzis' methods and now I'm realizing where I've been going wrong with the Reichian work: I've been approaching it too much in a yang fashion, which makes it very uncomfortable and I stop it. 

Willis keeps emphasizing that the breathing isn't forced and isn't fast but I keep making it forced and fast as well as deep, possibly chasing that high you get when you breathe this way. Which is very counterproductive. I like the 3 fold breathing that Reggie Ray teaches, where you breathe deeply into the belly, then the mid chest at the solar plexus, and then the upper chest at the clavicles. I can feel this more yin but still deep breathing to bring up much armour. I think this is more the way Willis wants the practitioner to breathe.

When I was seeing a breathworker he commented that I force the air in too much. 

I don't know but maybe in practice it should look more like a water method than a fire method. Or maybe it can be practiced either way. Any ideas?
David, modified 7 Years ago at 11/7/16 11:24 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/7/16 11:24 AM

RE: Reichian Therapy - The Technique For Home Use

Also, a question for those who've been going through this book for some time: do you find it more helpful to focus on one segment or body center and do several exercises or to do several different techniques and segments at once? Do you still focus on one section of your body or place of armour for weeks to months? Or do you skip around more often and find that helpful? 
Thank you for any direction!

Breadcrumb