Solitary retreat

Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 10/26/16 11:34 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/26/16 11:34 AM

Solitary retreat

I'm considering performing a solitary retreat for at least a week or two sometime next year, focusing on anapana, devotion and theurgy. Could you please share any advice or experiences? Especially regarding managing the logistics without having to put too much time on cooking, cleaning and so on. 
Matt, modified 7 Years ago at 10/26/16 11:53 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/26/16 11:53 AM

RE: Solitary retreat

This is not exactly what you're asking for, but it was a cool retreat experience I had a month ago:

I found a weekend alone in my house that I wanted to use for retreat.  I did no special preparation beyond hitting on these simple plans:

Sit on the even hours (8am, 10am, noon, etc).  I used a semi-recliner, found a position that kept me awake but had zero stress on muscles or joints.  This meant it was easy to sit lots of hours.

On the odd hours I had a few rules:
  • zero random web crap (except posting to my online meditation sangha)
  • write down on a piece of paper the things I wanted to do, random small house chores that could be done in a contemplative frame of mind.  This took some concentration to accompish. It's not set in stone, but new ideas have to get put on the list before instant pursuit.
  • when I noticed doing something that was not on the list, write that down in the "dont do this" column or in the 'do this' column. 
  • the kinds of things I did during the odd hours (fix/eat food.  clean up from eating. laundry.  house cleaning. walk.  shopping, to a list, no unplanned stops!
That last one (no unplanned stops!) was interesting, it meant a real 'vipassana' frame of mind while driving about the city, noticing the zillion random urges that conspired to bumping me off the object of my meditation (going straight to the fricken store, shopping my list and getting home, all without buying a bag of cookies or detouring to the coffee shop).
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 7 Years ago at 10/26/16 3:48 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/26/16 3:48 PM

think about your goals for the retreat.  be intense and unwavering no matter what shows up.
prepare and freeze enough meals ahead of time or buy good frozen stirfry which are easy to add spices , egss whatever to.

read tarin's slackers guide (google this site).  use every minute mindfully if your goal is to maximize your advancement.

make a few signs to hep stay on track.  some examples are in tarins booklet.

for vipassana i founf alternating walking hour long with sitting hour long a good long term strategy.

don't allow any distractions.   use the site and have fun.
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/15/16 3:00 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/15/16 3:00 PM

Sorry for the late response guys but thanks! A plan for a quite magical experience is taking form.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 3:25 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 3:25 AM

i am planning a two week home retreat soon too.  not sure exaclty when or what form it will take yet.  last time my plans were turned on their head because i discovered culadasa's great book and based my retreat on that.

it was a really productive retreat and gave me much more insight into how my contemplative trajectory evolved and to some degree why.

the compression of dedicated contemplation into a relatively small time frame should not be underrated.

again, much success and have tons o fun
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 12:02 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 12:02 PM

Please report back afterwards, I'd love to hear how it went, practice-wise and also, what you ate and how chores went and such things.
May shit get deep for us and the gnosis be ruthlessly on spot emoticon
pamojja, modified 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 2:35 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 2:35 PM

Pål R:
I'm considering performing a solitary retreat for at least a week or two sometime next year, focusing on anapana, devotion and theurgy. Could you please share any advice or experiences? Especially regarding managing the logistics without having to put too much time on cooking, cleaning and so on. 

Although quite some time ago, I used to do some self-retreats in nature, love those caves. Always found them more pulling in 'deeper' than community retreat settings, despite the neccessary chores. Always backed my back-pack with food for 10 days and a stove, and simply went off. Good luck with yours.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 7 Years ago at 11/19/16 7:09 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/19/16 7:09 AM

howdy,
it sounds like your retreat is a little mixed, anapana, devotional etc.  the retreat is for you and about you so as far as ditrection goes, you are your own best teacher.  my personal apporach to retreats has always been to set a goal (even if the goal is something like complete surrender) and work on a single strategy (technique) to give me the best shot at that goal.

obviously this is a pretty digital and inflexibly way of looking at things so i would further qualify that by saying the terrier tactic (biting down and not letting go no matter what) served me best in the earlier stages of my practice.  my retreats were highly vipassana noting intensive.  this ultra mindfulmess is really good at getting one out of the usual conceptual mode of being and is most effective before the A&P IMO but also has benefits right through 1st path.

after the A&P you have proven your ability to focus and have done some serious rewiring and the goalpost changes a bit.  getting to equanimity has a lot to do with integrating your new mode of being with your concepts and being ok with the conundrums.  letting go or attenuating the standard reactions, concious and unconcious is where the focus shifts to in this phase.  this means that strict adherence to noting for example can actually be a hindrance which disallows development in other areas.

so your devotional practice is general mor of a concentration / jhana practice, your noting generally more of a vipassana practice.  so depending upon where you think you are, you may want to give more or less emphasis to one practice or the other or leave one out completely or go with the flow.  my last retreat broke the mold for me and turned out to be the most pleasant retreat ever if not the most groundbreaking.  i generally do two week retreats as for some reason day 6 is almost always the big breakthrough day and after that I am in new interesting territory.

do you have set goals fo the retreat?

as for the practical stuff.  i always make a big pot of really great tomato sauce and freeze small portions.  i also but certain high quality frozen paella or thai vegetables available here.  the key word is frozen for me.  each meal thaws while it cooks and either rice or pasta is boiled along side.

you can note the entire time, or praise your meditational diety or sing freddy mercury during preparation..as you wish.

i stay away from all communication while retreating but leave instructions with someone close in case of emergencies, this will settle your mind and allow you to let go of certain concerns.  i let people close to me know i will be incommunicado fro two weeks and not to worry and to wish me luck.

again tarin's slacker's guide is invaluable for first time retreaters and early stage retreaters especially.

have a great time

tom
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 7:24 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 7:24 AM

Breath concentration and cultivating devotion fits together, ask an orthodox christian monk. Both breath energy and devotion are then utilized in theurgic prayer and energy work. 

I kind of have set goals, which I will not mention here, but hiting A&P as a side effect would be cool.

can't find tarins guide :/

Hm, Daniel insists on noting through the DN. I'd prefer other methods though.

Thanks for your advice, I wish you a great time too! 
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 8:41 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 8:38 AM

concentration on the breath, brahma viharas and other good sensations like devotional practices are the one side and vipassana the other.  both working on that funny think we call mind.

vipassana, and noting in particular, is my go to method for getting out of living in concepts.  i fall back on it every day in some fashion or other and it never fails me.  never stop doing it unti your normal mode of being is complete presence and the concepts just appear and are noticed without any particular pull.

link to tarin's little thesis:
http://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/305448

since you apparently are pre A&P then vipassana is usually the fastest way to make progress but can be destabilizing which is IMO one of the reasons the DN can be so difficult for some people (like me).  that said, retreats are the times i set aside to put the pedal to the metal to really see progress in a compressed time and nothing has done this for me like vipassana with noting.  my first goenk retreats were also wild rides with spectacular special effects but vipassana and noting is my cup of tea.

if yu are not familiar with culadasa he is at least worth a read.  his methods and maps are not as hard core as the techniques esposued in MCTB (may favorite dharma book ever) but are results oriented and in fact match the way my mind presents itself to me.

in any case, use your time well and enjoy it.

cheers

tom
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 2:01 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 2:01 PM

But then in the western mystery traditions there is a practice category that seems to be a third side of the coin of training the mind, which is contemplation of symbols while in altered states.  This seems to give rise to a very weird and intense  ride kind of like the nanas with synchronisities.
The closest thing in buddhism might be the vajrayana traditions. It puzzles me how little these practices are discussed here. In MCTB I think Daniel just explains them as effective concentration practices, but I'm getting more and more convinced there are other ways in which they work on the mind through the symbols and how they give rise to some kind of insight which may or may not be the same as the results of insight meditation. Anyway that's what I'm trying out now for at least a few years. Or decades. 
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 2:02 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 2:02 PM

How did you manage the... cave bathroom? 
pamojja, modified 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 2:23 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 2:23 PM

Pål R:
How did you manage the... cave bathroom? 
Well, in an ideal scenario would take a bath in a hot spring. Usually most caves ideal for meditation aren't really extensive caves, but rather enough rock overhead to protect from rain and cold winds in mountains, and without much moisture. Less idealy one has to take a walk to the next stream or spring, for the cooking water too.
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 3:58 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/20/16 3:58 PM

I'll have to summon up a cave sometime. 
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 1:43 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 1:43 AM

howdy Pål R , sliding off of the topic of retreat a bit but...  i don't know enough about the tradition you mention to comment but it sounds interesting.  a couple of things spring to mind.  first is that you seem to be the expert here so perhaps you might want to post about it or link to some information.

daniel's book could not be everything to everyone and the practices you write about are pretty much outside of his aegis.  that said he spent quite a bit of ink describing the almost infinite axes of possible development outside of the vippasana / shamatha realm including magik etc.

you mentioned a possible similarity between meditation on certain symbols while in altered states.  describing the states and symbols would be interesting to read about.  Tenzin Wangyal wrote a book on Tibetan Sleep and Dream yoga which is excellent and decribed concentration practices on the Tibetan letter A.  Carl Jung's work on archetypes is also really interesting as are the descriptions of remarkably .similar experiences under different entheogens like DMA and Hyahuasca.

they all tend to point to a similar set of psychological building blocks in human beings.

my personal experience of sliding through the layers of mind didn't conform to the strict 16 nana model although i'm sure that all of them exist.  it was the vipassana jhana grouping which was / is most apparent to me while contemplating.  as mentioned before, culadasa's state and stage descriptions also lined up with my experiences more precisely than the 16 nana model and melded the individual sit with the long term progress in a way that the straight up 16 stage description didn't.

anyway good luck

tom
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 2:18 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 2:18 AM

Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 2:19 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 2:19 AM

Carl Jung is a good start, that was my gateway drug. The thing is that a lot of this stuff is secret, mostly for pedagogical purposes, but I will try to provide some clarification. The western mystery tradition could be described as a net of koans, but not just in the form of words, but also movements, images, clothing and other ritual components, picked with care from alchemy, astrology, masonry, the hermetic qabalah and the like.
As to their models of progress, there are two amazing articles which I've posted here before:

http://alkemiskaakademin.se/Initiation%20and%20death.pdf

http://alkemiskaakademin.se/Initiation%20alchemy%20and%20life.pdf
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 2:27 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 2:27 AM

Thank you!
Jigme Sengye, modified 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 12:29 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 12:04 PM

Pål R:
Breath concentration and cultivating devotion fits together, ask an orthodox christian monk. Both breath energy and devotion are then utilized in theurgic prayer and energy work. 

I kind of have set goals, which I will not mention here, but hiting A&P as a side effect would be cool.

can't find tarins guide :/

Hm, Daniel insists on noting through the DN. I'd prefer other methods though.

Thanks for your advice, I wish you a great time too! 

Pål, you feel vibratory energetic sensations in your meditations, be it any kind of sitting, prayer practices and in your magical practices like the LBRP and LIRP and have for quite some time, right? If so, you very likely hit the A&P long ago. If you're not feeling depressed or seriously aversive, I strongly recommend getting really good at samatha (anapana's great) to power up whatever your insight practice is. It's very hard not to further an insight practice if you're doing anapana or some other kind of samatha if you've passed the A&P and aren't in the dukkha ñanas. Prayer before samatha really helps, too and makes solitary retreats easier, more effective and more serious.
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 3:27 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 3:27 PM

Well, it's more like subtle pressure moving through  my body or outside of it in accordance with my intention and visualization. Sometimes strange joy arises, but nothing extatic. Relaxation is sometimes deep. Early on, there used to be periods of strange unitentional movements, but these have stopped, probably since channels have opened and I've gotten more used to handling "energy". I don't think I'm past A&P, since these "symptoms" are not nearly as dramatic as those of my friends who are going through kundalini awakenings. 
I too have found it effective to pray at the start of samatha, usually one syllable per breath. What kind of prayer are you into, and in which tradition? I'm moving closer and closer to christian esotericism. 
Jigme Sengye, modified 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 10:46 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/21/16 10:46 PM

Pål R:
Well, it's more like subtle pressure moving through  my body or outside of it in accordance with my intention and visualization. Sometimes strange joy arises, but nothing extatic. Relaxation is sometimes deep. Early on, there used to be periods of strange unitentional movements, but these have stopped, probably since channels have opened and I've gotten more used to handling "energy". I don't think I'm past A&P, since these "symptoms" are not nearly as dramatic as those of my friends who are going through kundalini awakenings. 
I too have found it effective to pray at the start of samatha, usually one syllable per breath. What kind of prayer are you into, and in which tradition? I'm moving closer and closer to christian esotericism. 

I also feel energetic sensations as subtle pressure, strong pressure and a whole bunch of other sensations. I think that it's highly, highly unlikely that you're not post-A&P based on the energetic sensations you described.

My first getting the A&P was very dramatic and sudden and was the result of a month of chanting prayers and vizualizing when learning Tibetan ngondro a retreat in 2003, but I've talked to people at the end of retreats who started feeling strong vibratory sensations during month-long Mahasi-style vipassana retreats and they didn't get any of the energetic fireworks that I had when I first started feeling energy. I've read descriptions of kundalini awakenings and while I do have flowing, pulsing vibratory sensations that go up my back (on the outside, close to the surface, it feels like just under the skin of the back, rather than in the spine) and down the front as part of the microcosmic orbit in a circular way, they don't quite match those kundalini descriptions. Among other things, they aren't really fully in the spine, though it's a bit hard to tell. I don't think I've ever felt kundalini, though I really don't know, since none of the traditions I've worked in used the word.

How do you mean kundalini? Also, what else makes you think that you haven't passed the A&P? Is it because you might not have had dukkha ñanas? While I've been experienced them (over and over and over at times in the cycles within cycles stages), I didn't realize that I had and was past them when I first started vipassana. Also, having a more samatha-oriented practice like you do (from what I'm gathering) can bypass them or mute them dramatically. Add to that the other practices you do and the progress of insight model might apply to you a lot less.

There are definitely times when the energetic sensations are very weak. It depends on the quality of my practice. There have also been times on retreat when the strength of the energetic sensations was weak at some times of the day and much stronger later, at specific times in the evening, for example.

About involuntary movements, I got those during equanimity on retreat and much more intensely after my mind calmed down a few days after the cessation I got in 2010. They eventually went away. I also think it was a channel opening thing.

I tend to start my practice with the Theravada refuge prayer (Namo tassa bhagavato...) and then do some highly abbreviated and slightly changed Theravada metta prayers before starting vipassana most days. It takes about 5 minutes and basically just amounts to wishing that all beings be well, happy and peaceful. The order I do it is wishing that for myself, my parents, relatives (and occasionally ancestors), teachers, friends, all beings, all beings in my house (I say it as "this house"), this neighborhood, city, province, country, world, universe and all beings past, present and future. I say it three times for each. Lastly I wish that all beings in the traditional Buddhist six realms be well, happy and peaceful. The way I do it is to wish all beings in the hell realm be well happy and peaceful, then say the same for the hungry ghost realm, animal realm, human realm, asura realm, deva realm and again all beings. I then dedicate all merit for the benefit of all sentient beings.

I occasionally also say some prayers from my Palyul Nyingma ngondro prayer book. I've mostly avoided doing breath control practices since I had energetic problems in 2007 that I had to get cleared up with Chinese medicine. It was classic pressure in the head stuff and other circulatory problems. I feel that I got it due to practicing incorrectly, which among other things included not doing the full ngondro prayers. Back when I was only a vajrayanist (I haven't yet gone back to it in the full sense, though I feel a strong pull back and would like to dive back into it once my samatha is much better) and not a very good one, I felt that the prayers among many other things, opened up the channels and corrected (and partly protected me from) mistakes and problems in the way I was practicing. It amounted to asking for help and getting it. The prayers also make the tantric vizualization practices possible. Tantrism is arguably all about living a life of prayer. The evocation/invocation stuff is all an extension of that, though I don't currently do those. One thing to keep in mind is that I had gotten transmission for these practices and that the transmissions are easily available. The Tibetans are very generous about teaching their whole system and taking care of their students, or at least the ones I studied with were. I'm certain my lama could have cleared up the problems I was having had I gone back to see him at the time.

I'm curious, what kind of Christian esotericism are you looking into?

I'll second Tom's recommendation of Culadasa's book. It's immensely helpful for samatha practice, especially anapana (though you can use it to model the progress in the practice of any samatha concentration focus). It's worth reading over a few times over and reviewing section by section as you move through each samatha stage. The progression is much more pleasant than the progress of insight cycles progression I get from noting (though I still do a bit of noting at times when doing samatha). It's the only book that I know of that explains in detail how to get a cessation followed by emptiness (I didn't get emptiness from my cessation, my mind wasn't unified enough) from samatha practice and why that happens. The samatha practice described is a samatha-vipassana combination, but it's much more weighted towards the samatha side of things.
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 11/22/16 2:06 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/22/16 2:06 AM

I find what you write about prayer and transmission very interesting! I can't really relate to vipassna much actually, but I can see the beauty and utility in prayer more and more. With kundalini I mean dramatic involontary rushes of strong energy mainly moving up and down, often together with extacy or panic. My "getting the A&P" was sudden explosions of my arms flapping automatically during meditation, which was fun. There wasn't any "energetic sensation", those where rare back then and even now they are very weak and mostly according to my intention. One thing that speaks for me being or having been a dark night yogi though is that my mind never shuts up. I can be aware of each breath for quite some time but I never stop thinking. My posture is mostly messed up too. 

Whenever I am describing theurgic practice in detail I'm talking about basic Golden Dawn ritual. That will be a part of the retreat. The christian stuff for which I have transmissions are secret, though some might be able to guess a little based on my posting history. PM me if you want to know a little more. 

Thanks for the reading advice guys, we'll see how much of it I'll look into since I currently have a lot to read. I've explored Culadasa's youtube channel,  good stuff!

Breadcrumb