Giving preference for the Sangha?

thumbnail
Mark Orange, modified 7 Years ago at 10/27/16 9:59 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/27/16 9:59 AM

Giving preference for the Sangha?

Hey, all.

Sitting here with some friends who are not taking kindly to my inability to elevate every Buddhist monk or nun that we encounter. Not to say that I am rude to them in any way but there's a sense amongst them that I treat them with an elevated their status and give them preference over other meditators.

I have always had this idea of "horizontal heirarchy" (that is ... I see all as equals instead of being above or below this current self). Monks and nuns, given that some have all sorts of different practices and levels of dedication, seem no different than "just a householder" who is also on the Path.

To me, someone who practices sila, samadhi, and panna is the important factor not so much someone who is wearing a robe and carries a begging bowl and practicing who knows what.

Ideas?
Robert Lydon, modified 9 Months ago at 6/28/23 8:56 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 6/28/23 8:56 PM

RE: Giving preference for the Sangha?

Wisdom is wisdom even if it comes from a flower. The movie "ground hog day" can be pretty profound. Is Bill Murray my teacher?
Brian, modified 9 Months ago at 6/30/23 8:02 AM
Created 9 Months ago at 6/30/23 8:02 AM

I realize this thread is one million years old, but I think it's an important topic.

I too don't feel there's much reason to treat monks with some special level of respect. I respect and appreciate them, but it's simply not my custom to grovel on the ground, and I genuinely do not see how it helps anyone. The greater the monk's attainments, the less they care about me showing or not showing some proper level of respect, right? Whose feelings are getting hurt by me not bowing?

I could teach people stuff that would really help them. They might be so grateful to me that they might feel like bowing to me. But I'm indifferent about whether they bow to me. I'm not some special person. I'm just extremely fortunate. Why should anyone bow to me because I'm fortunate? Maybe my student would say "thank you". I'd reply "I'm happy to help," and it's the truth -- I really am happy to help. What more is needed?
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Months ago at 6/30/23 5:24 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 6/30/23 5:24 PM

Robert Lydon
Wisdom is wisdom even if it comes from a flower. The movie "ground hog day" can be pretty profound. Is Bill Murray my teacher?
Robert, 
Seriously? You have nothing to say so you grab a shovel and dig for old posts to respond to? That is your response? Flower and groundhog day?
Maybe you should try meditation and a journal for a bit and see if that takes the edge off of post-itus urges.
<wink>
​​​​​​​~D
Robert Lydon, modified 9 Months ago at 7/1/23 12:18 AM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/1/23 12:18 AM

Thanks Brian, I agree. It is good to keep posts alive or even answer them dream walker. You should try to respond to old posts that have not been responded to. Even if 8 years old or more. You might like it too. I guess I am gonna keep on digging. Fresh shovel and everything. See you on the next old post. Next time consider the topic at hand. Even if it is 2500 years old.

Has a flower ever taught something to someone? Has it ever been emphasized by someone special? Should you bow to every flower?

Did GroundHog Day teach you anything about life? Do you know the moral of the story? Does that help you to understand my cryptic-ish response? <wink>
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 9 Months ago at 7/1/23 7:39 AM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/1/23 7:39 AM

Mahakasyapa smiled at the Lotus flower the Buddha held between his thumb and forefinger atop Vulture's Peak. This famous Buddhist story points to the nature of mind, of awakening.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Months ago at 7/1/23 6:43 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/1/23 6:43 PM

Next time consider the topic at hand.

Please summarize the original post that you felt a need to respond to.
Does that help you to understand my cryptic-ish response?

I don't understand your response to the OP, cryptic or not. Can you uncrypt it for me? It seems off topic as far as I can fathom,
Thanks,
~D
Robert Lydon, modified 8 Months ago at 7/4/23 5:54 PM
Created 8 Months ago at 7/4/23 5:54 PM

Mark, where ever you are, was causally saying that being a monk and nun shouldn't lead to different status than a householder (progressive no-self conceptualization huh?). I referenced Groundhog Day (have you watched it?) because I said it taught me something like the flower story that Chris so thoughtfully referenced. Thanks Chris.

Ultimately, I am agreeing with Mark in that there should be a horizontal hierarchy. One in which all can share wisdom, knowledge and ideas without some sort of status (vetted 2nd path) getting in the way. Wisdom can be there, like it or not. Otherwise, I recommend the class system that are the primary branches of Buddhism and not dharma overground.

Mark, are you there? We got to stick together on this because there are more of them then us. =)

Breadcrumb