Contemplative Fitness Book: offline copy?

Eudoxos , modified 7 Years ago at 11/5/16 6:39 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/5/16 6:38 AM

Contemplative Fitness Book: offline copy?

Hi everybody,

Ken Folk's http://contemplativefitnessbook.com website has been down for several months. I had read that book-in-progress a few times before and found it great. Is someone in posession of an offline copy of that text and willing to send it over to me for personal use? Internet archives don't seem to have it.

Thanks!
Oochdd, modified 7 Years ago at 11/5/16 8:27 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/5/16 8:27 AM

RE: Contemplative Fitness Book: offline copy?

I have a pdf copy of the progress of insight portion of the book (35 pages). PM me if you'd like me to send it to you.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 7 Years ago at 11/9/16 11:23 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/9/16 11:23 AM

RE: Contemplative Fitness Book: offline copy? (Answer)

Eudoxos .:
Hi everybody,

Ken Folk's http://contemplativefitnessbook.com website has been down for several months. I had read that book-in-progress a few times before and found it great. Is someone in posession of an offline copy of that text and willing to send it over to me for personal use? Internet archives don't seem to have it.

Thanks!
http://awakenetwork.org/forum/kfd-public/13486-what-happened-to-contemplativefitnessbook-com

What happened to contemplativefitnessbook.com ??? 17 Jun 2015 00:23 #99237
Thanks for making a copy, Dreamwalker. Yes, welcome to post relevant portions here or on DhO. I just ask that you label it as a work in progress.

Tom, I'm also interested in your suggestion to post chapters here in the Read section as work in progress, given that Dreamwalker seems to have the most up-to-date copy.

Kenneth Folk
As far as I know this is still welcomed to be shared.  If this is no longer the case please contact me by PM or on this thread and I will remove it immediately.

Per request-
This document is a work in progress by Kenneth Folk-

Relevent portions posted below

Marty G, modified 7 Years ago at 11/9/16 6:26 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/9/16 6:21 PM

Thanks D.W just read the intro, very good reading. I often think a teacher's life, once recorded (if it is an interesting, well told tale, as this appears to be) is as alluring as the practice itself and in some cases much more so. Why a man of great objectivity can't solve his login in to wordpress problem, is a worry though! emoticon
Marty G, modified 7 Years ago at 11/10/16 4:19 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/10/16 4:17 PM

Just read the whole PDF, great personal journey. I enjoyed his honesty and commttment.

Some irony regards: " Who Am I?"  as one of his gears. Kenneth makes it clear that the outcome of this enquiry created by the Advaitic Sage Ramana Maharshi, is the there is no constant 'self' or Self  (in line with Buddhist thought) whereas Ramana taught Absolute Self  as his very point that's amusing, I'm sure Kenneth is well aware of this.

His despair at gaining three attainments and still being a depressed and confused character, that is a priceless lesson and very honest and accurate. 

His description of his relationship with one of the Burmese teachers as the 'mean old man' was great and very instructive, the book definately should be in print.
Eudoxos , modified 7 Years ago at 11/15/16 3:13 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/15/16 3:13 AM

Thanks a lot, Dreamwalker! (I secretly hope that Kenneth is finalizing the text and it will be printed at some point.)
Eudoxos , modified 7 Years ago at 11/16/16 7:57 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/15/16 6:09 AM

FWIW and for easier reading, I did a semi-automated conversion to restructured text, so I attach here the result (rst and 2 images) plus the rendering done via rst2html5 --bootstrap-css --embed-content --embed-images kfb.rst > kfb.html (the image was changed to PNG as rst2html5 does not properly embed svgs). The HTML is much easier to read on small-form devices such as phones. There might be some missed formatting, and footnotes were put in-place in braces. I am glad Kenneth agreed that the text is made public here. Cheers, e.
Eudoxos , modified 5 Years ago at 3/18/19 12:35 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 3/18/19 12:35 PM

Update: I put the book to https://github.com/eudoxos/cfitness/ , links to HTML and epub version at the bottom of the page; hope still okay to share publicly.
Bill T, modified 4 Years ago at 1/30/20 4:11 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/30/20 4:11 PM

Just stumbled across this searching for writing by Kenneth Folk. Great stuff! I hope that bumping this to the top of the forum means more people will find it. 
ahtrahddis, modified 4 Years ago at 1/31/20 4:50 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/31/20 4:48 AM

This is indeed great stuff and a very inspiring book.

I hope that someday this will be a finished and published book.

BTW you might also like this compilation of texts by one of his students.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 1/31/20 6:30 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/31/20 6:30 AM

I recently visited Kenneth and urged him to complete and publish his book, which virtually guarantees that it will not happen.

emoticon
thumbnail
Griffin, modified 2 Years ago at 12/14/21 12:19 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/14/21 12:19 PM

Too bad this book hasn't been published... It is an enjoyable read and I am sure people would benefit from it.

Breadcrumb