Message Boards Message Boards

Books and Websites

Imperfect Buddha Podcast on non-Buddhism

Toggle
Hi all,
We recently got done on our latest episode which covers non-Buddhism. The practical folks amongst you may have pooh-poohed it in the past for its intellectual demands and seeming impracticality but I would suggest instead that it offers an additional level of liberation from ignorance, the collective formation of self and the attachment to spirituality and escape. I would add that it is a practice as much as a theory and can help folks caught up in identites, in particular those of the devout, faithful Buddhist and the perenially spiritual.
Non-Buddhism posits the question: what if Buddhism and spirituality were actually forms of imprisonment? What if Buddhism (and spirituality) created new forms of identity? How would we get free of those? It then provides a number of answers for those who are no timid.
If you check out the episode, please critique as you see fit. We raise doubts too.
Matthew

https://soundcloud.com/post-traditional-buddhism/91-imperfect-buddha-podcast-meets-non-buddhism

RE: Imperfect Buddha Podcast on non-Buddhism
Answer
8/31/16 9:50 AM as a reply to Matthew O'Connell.
fantastic.  just looked at wallis's site and was refreshed to see the a large "WARNING" page.  i have often thought of myself as a "post-buddhist" and can't wait to dig into his theories.

Great conversation between you two as well.

cheers

Answer
9/23/16 3:33 AM as a reply to Matthew O'Connell.
Wanted to bump this as Imperfect Buddha podcast episode 9.2 was released which is an interview with Glenn Wallis a founder of non-buddhism. Episode 9.1 is an intro to non-buddhism but I found the interview with Glenn did not use much jargon and is insightful and understandable.

Great work Matthew, it was enjoyable to learn more about non-buddhism in a calm conversation!

Answer
9/23/16 6:18 AM as a reply to Matthew O'Connell.
Thanks, this sounds really interesting. I just installed the SoundCloud app to give it a listen. Have you enabled downloads on your tracks? I usually listen in the car and living in a rural area frequently have no service. I'm pretty ignorant of how SoundCloud works so I'm hoping I'm missing something but I don't see a download button...? 

Answer
9/23/16 2:38 PM as a reply to . Jake ..
Hi Jake,

I think the SoundCloud app has a paid verison that supports download. From the SoundCloud website I know you can download for free in MP3 format then you'd need to transfer the MP3 to your phone.

SoundCloud is a little painful but the podcast is worth the effort.

Answer
9/23/16 3:37 PM as a reply to Mark.
Thanks! From what I could gather it seems that content providers can choose whether or not to make downloads available on a case by case basis. I'll check into that though! Worst case scenario I just have  to listen at home ;) 
ETA oh cool I found a site you can cut and paste the URL into and it will convert the SoundCloud into wma. Success! 

Answer
9/23/16 5:02 PM as a reply to Matthew O'Connell.
Thanks Matthew.  I appreciated the way you guys carefully negated the common complaints against nonbuddhism.  There are definitely multiple, intriguing lines of investigation to be had in this area.  I'm not sure what to do about any of it, other than just to "look."

Answer
9/24/16 3:48 AM as a reply to Matthew O'Connell.
Communists aren't they ? What happened to contemplatives in communist countries, BTW ? Was there a communist friendly adaptation - ie once the collectivised farms were established and capitalism expunged from the system etc etc., people engaged in contemplative activities without advertising it ?

Answer
9/25/16 4:01 AM as a reply to Matthew O'Connell.
.... basically, aren't dedicated meditators or dogmatic traditional buddhists going to be annoying to anyone with a determined political outlook, whether it's Frankfurt School leftism, communism, monarchism, capitalism, environmentalism, rival religions etc & whatever ?

Answer
9/26/16 10:29 AM as a reply to . Jake ..
Pasting this URL into your podcast app should enable you to subscribe to it through that app:

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:153152381/sounds.rss

This works for me with the Pod Caster app.

Answer
9/29/16 2:35 AM as a reply to Eric B.
Eric B:
Pasting this URL into your podcast app should enable you to subscribe to it through that app:

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:153152381/sounds.rss

This works for me with the Pod Caster app.

Thanks Eric - with this I could finally get the Podcast into iTunes and onto my phone! 

Soundcloud was painful sometimes, if I stopped the app I lost the position in the playback of the podcast. That is no problem when listening to the entire podcast in one session but that is often not possible.

Answer
9/29/16 2:41 AM as a reply to Matthew O'Connell.
The 9.2 & 9.3 podcasts are both good interviews with Glenn Wallis (total of 3hours!). I was thinking about the "great feast of knowledge" and I'll admit to a low calorie diet. I'm going to try following https://www.coursera.org/learn/classical-sociological-theory "an introduction into the most important classical sociological readings between the 18th and 20th century".