Can We Get Daniel On Sam Harris Podcast?!

Jinxed P, modified 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 6:37 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 6:37 AM

Can We Get Daniel On Sam Harris Podcast?!

All it takes would be for Sam and Dan to agree emoticon

If any of you have read Sam's book Waking Up, he's highly critical of vipassana practice, saying that he spent a year or two on retreat in that tradition with U Pandita and while he got to equanimity, he never had cessation. He much prefers the "pointing out instructions" of Dzogchen that he recieved from Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. 

Sam has gone back and forth with Joseph Goldstein about these issues, but Goldstein's reluctance to talk about attainments doesn't allow him to argue with the full force that Daniel could. 

Sam also is agnostic  as to whether someone can have the no-self experience at all times. Again, something I think Daniel would disagree with. It would be a fantastic conversation.

What say you Daniel? If you are interested, can we get you in touch with Sam somehow?
abe lincoln, modified 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 7:19 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 7:19 AM

RE: Can We Get Daniel On Sam Harris Podcast?!

Great idea!!  I'd love to hear such a discussion.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 10:21 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 10:21 AM

I would be happy to talk with Sam if he is interested. Anyone know him personally?

Daniel
thumbnail
Chris O, modified 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 10:32 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 10:32 AM

Oh man, would I love this! From what I can tell, there're two avenues for having Sam hear from his audience:

1. Twitter (he does use twitter)
2. https://www.samharris.org/contact

I don't know his email--doesn't seem to be publically available anywhere. Also, know he posts to Facebook to plug his podcast episodes and blog articles but I've never seen him reply to any comments on his own posts, so don't think that would be effective, but who knows.
Jinxed P, modified 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 12:15 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 12:15 PM

I tweeted him. Maybe a few others can as well.
thumbnail
Ward Law, modified 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 12:21 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 12:21 PM

Harris occasionally tweets asking for suggestions on podcast guests. I submitted Daniel's name some time ago, and others have surely done the same.

In my opinion, there is some intellectual snobbishness going on with Harris. Daniel doesn't have the required celebrity status (popular scientist, best-selling author, controversial speaker, etc.) for Sam's brand.

I think Dan Harris (ABC, 10% Happier podcast) would be more open to interviewing Daniel, and he does read his follower's comments.
Jinxed P, modified 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 12:52 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 12:52 PM

Wardlaw:
Harris occasionally tweets asking for suggestions on podcast guests. I submitted Daniel's name some time ago, and others have surely done the same.

In my opinion, there is some intellectual snobbishness going on with Harris. Daniel doesn't have the required celebrity status (popular scientist, best-selling author, controversial speaker, etc.) for Sam's brand.

I think Dan Harris (ABC, 10% Happier podcast) would be more open to interviewing Daniel, and he does read his follower's comments.

Dan Harris mentioned on his last podcast with Vincent Horn that him and Daniel are friends and he's just waiting for Daniel to come on. Obviously Daniel could answer that better than me!
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 6:48 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 6:48 PM

Dan Harris is a friend, good guy, spreading good dharma to the masses.

He actually wanted to interview me a while ago on Nightline, but it seemed the wrong venue for what I do.

He talked with me some months ago about doing a different project, not sure what is going on with that, will let you know if it happens.

Daniel
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 7:08 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/5/17 7:08 PM

Daniel - Dan just interviewed Vince and stated you have an open invite.  Just fyi in case you haven't had time to listen.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 7 Years ago at 1/6/17 11:19 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/6/17 11:19 PM

Emailed Dan, tweeted Sam.

I do not like green eggs and ham.
Warrior Monk, modified 7 Years ago at 1/7/17 4:14 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/7/17 4:14 AM

It would be fantastic to hear that conversation. I'm a huge fan of both Daniel's and Sam's work, albeit for quite different reasons. Will add a tweet into the mix and see if I can get the ball rolling with some other people. 

I've also been waiting to hear you on Dan's podcast, Daniel; I think he also mentioned it as a possibility when he interviewed Steven Armstrong!
sir ty yoda, modified 7 Years ago at 1/7/17 6:44 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/7/17 6:44 PM

Sarr Hammis & Gramiel Ing-dan
thumbnail
Chris O, modified 7 Years ago at 1/7/17 8:14 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/7/17 8:14 PM

Daniel M. Ingram:
Emailed Dan, tweeted Sam.

I do not like green eggs and ham.

Thanks much, Daniel! Very much looking forward to hearing you on 10% Happier podcast!

Breadcrumb