Spinal breathing

Zen Den Den, modified 7 Years ago at 1/10/17 7:53 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/10/17 7:53 AM

Spinal breathing

Recently a friend of mine gave me a book by Yogani about spinal breathing Pranayma - I tried the practice yesterday and felt immediate response at the chakra points (root and third eye).

Is it possible to attain the 9 stages of concentration doing this practice?  I dont see much difference between spinal breathing and regular breathing meditation.

Has anybody tried this practice for longer?
neko, modified 7 Years ago at 1/10/17 12:05 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/10/17 12:05 PM

RE: Spinal breathing

I have. It works to get into (soft) jhana, but in my personal experience it is a bit of a shortcut. Moving your attention up and down the spine and breathing intentionally and purposefully is much easier than focusing your attention on one spot and calming / ignoring the breath. So I have found that, to switch to e.g. Culadasa's techniques from TMI, I partially had to start over. Easy shortcut to get to stage 6/7 and jump into the pleasure jhanas, harder to proceed past stage 7. on the Culadasa map.
Zen Den Den, modified 7 Years ago at 1/10/17 1:58 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/10/17 1:58 PM

That sounds really interesting! Can you tell me how long and how regular you have practiced spinal breathing? What made you change to The Mind Illuminated breathing technique?
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 7 Years ago at 1/12/17 8:28 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/12/17 8:28 AM

howdy ZDD
i am a big fan of Yogani and his site AYPSite.org.

To your question about the nine stages etc.  I have no direct answer but his system has its onw methods, maps and milestones and to overlay that with other traditions would be tricky.

I'm of the opinion that all traditions are basically trying to uncover the mysteries of what we are all about but due to their differing foci, methodologies, dogmas, language and the huge scope of variations in individual conciousness agreement is not easy.

some people get very deep, very fast with AYPSite's methods and others less so.  I like that he is not dogmatic.  I found his prectices very grounding and thus very useful when I was at particularly agitated phases of my varied practices.

If you want to work with his methods , his cookbook style make it easy to just follow the chapters.  I have to admit that I was reticent to do some of the later , deeper practices but went pretty far with the system and it the real deal.

Keep posting

tom
Zen Den Den, modified 7 Years ago at 1/12/17 9:23 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/12/17 9:23 AM

Hey Tom,

thanks so much for sharing your expirience! Could you provide one or two links for me to maps or technique pages that you found very helpful? That'd be awesome emoticon
Banned For waht?, modified 7 Years ago at 1/12/17 9:56 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 1/12/17 9:48 AM

if you have questions or inventing ideas then just see them as just questions and inventing ideas. Do you get the gist of the most basic of mediation i wonder. Now i see my wondering as just wondering.

(So you have a very complicated way to bring out sensations, but if you don't see them just sensations, you fail the basics.

LMAO mediation is so easy, hmm now i just LMAO.)

I saw Yogani name and immediately thought some rigorius stuff. Sry i was offtopic. Hmm still i now get a mental agony, rembeber just mental agony.

Breadcrumb