Learning from Rudi - The Power of a Wish

thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 2/9/17 6:56 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/9/17 6:49 AM

Learning from Rudi - The Power of a Wish

One thing that I have noticed in not-so-long of a time talking to a variety of meditators both in and out of the pragmatic dharma community, is that not many people have a complete and full understanding of the power that a wish or intention has for progressing through the stages of insight and the paths.  This is something I learned through reading old-school law of attraction books by dudes like Ernest Holmes and Thomas Troward.  But it stuck out most starkly to me in the writings of Rudi (Swami Rudrananda), who is not popular in either mainstream dharma or pragmatic circles.  Rudi was a student of Bhagawan Nityananda and Muktananda and invented an open-eyed energey transfer technique that I later had the blessing of trying with one of one Rudi's students (Stuart Perrin) in NYC.  

Rudi would talk about "spiritual growth" arising out of the power of a wish that was planted like a seed deep in the unconscious.  The water for this seed would be surrender, etc (and so the plant metaphor develops).  I suspect one of the difficulties most high-functioning, modern people have with the "wish" idea is that they confusing with an obligation.  If you have too many obligations already, than adding on another one (another "goal") becomes toxic and counter-productive.  In my opinion, there are two antidotes for obligation: forgiveness and gratitude.  The way to train these is simply to overload the mind with them through readings, affirmations, observations, meditations, relational and lifestyle adjustments, etc.  Completely brainwash yourself with self-acceptance, self-forgiveness, gratitude of the special things, appreciation of the basic things, etc.  If one floods themselves like this every day for three to six months, ideally they could gain some degree of space outside of the modern conditioning and bullshit.

A wish in the sense that Rudi was talking about was needing spiritual growth to survive.  Placing that above all else.  Being willing to destroy any subtle structure of mind that creates an artifical boundary.  Needing only a brief glance or short intention to enact this destruction.  A wish is having the view of the end goal (no_fucking_suffering_at_all) whilst being engaged in the process so as not to get caught up.  A wish may involve temporarily stoking the flames of ego or self-image in service of the strength to surrender more deeply.

Prayer, devotion, imagination, law-of-attraction, resolutions are all practices which harness the power of a wish.  When done properly, these things are simply not the same as the defilements, hindrances, fetters or poisions (not clinging).  They are more than just impassively observing experience or becoming clear-headed or clearly knowing experience.  These practices supercharge this process of knowing.

Note: I'll likely edit this OP
Note 2: I'll add quotes from Swami Rudrananda below

(Spritual Cannibalism, p.18)

The special agony that became a nine-month test period completely destroyed my previous patterns of life and produced a strength and freedom beyond any I could ever have wished for.

(p. 29)

The first step involves using an object or a teacher, sitting before either in a relaxed manner. You must find within yourself the deep, sincere need to grow. You must bring the wish deep within your chest area and ask deeply, as if the voiced wish were emanating from your heart, for help to surrender. This wish must be silently repeated several times until there is a sensation of an opening, like the opening of a flower

(p. 47)

That which is destroyed in a person during conscious work brings new life. Creativity comes through death, as the death wish simultaneously becomes the wish to be reborn. You must be destroyed in the process of being reborn.
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 2/9/17 12:47 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/9/17 12:47 PM

RE: Learning from Rudi - The Power of a Wish

I needed to read this now. As you probably know I'm kind of torn between west and east and this helps with bridging the emotional and intellectual gap.

"Desire is the root of eternity" 
"Prayer is the breathing of the soul"
- Louis-Claude de Saint-Martin
Derek2, modified 7 Years ago at 2/9/17 2:02 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/9/17 2:02 PM

Those are some top-notch authors you've been reading, Noah. Thanks for your inspiring post.
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 2/10/17 10:21 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/10/17 10:21 AM

@Pal: Love the quotes!  I have noticed you're drawing from different traditions, as have I and the DhO crowd in general, I think.  Rudi may fit in quite well with Western magickal paradigms bc of his mystical worldview and raw simplicity.
thumbnail
Ward Law, modified 7 Years ago at 2/10/17 10:53 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/10/17 10:53 AM

Rudi was Adi Da's teacher for a while. Just pointing out the connection.
Pål R, modified 7 Years ago at 2/10/17 1:18 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/10/17 1:18 PM

Saint-Martin is wonderful, the Rudi quotes reminds me of his ideas about the regeneration of the will and how the life of Jesus is mirrored in the regenerated soul. I will contact Stuart Perrin insha allah emoticon
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 2/11/17 8:07 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/11/17 4:21 AM

Awesome!  Stuart lives in Croton-On-Hudson now.  I would say it's worth a drive if an hour or under.  It's not just a meditation talk - he gives shaktipat.
Marty G, modified 7 Years ago at 2/12/17 1:36 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/12/17 1:36 PM

Rudi was unique ( really), working in the west prior to the 60's awakening to the esoteric.  He was all about bringing spirit power down into life. He saw spiritual practice as a means to tranform the physical rather than an escape ( of any sort). Part shaman, part yogi, part businessman, and also part just a 'big-personailty' ( he saw no problem with money, success or accumulations of goods ) running an Eastern art importing store. My own own root teacher Adi Da was his student for 4 years and always pointed to him and often told stories of his time with Rudi. Rudi had a lot of Gurdjieff's 'work to transform' component in his teaching manner as well as the shaktipat/grace influence  of Pak Subuh an odd-ball Muslim mystic ( as well as Nityanada/ Muktananda as mentioned by others).

Quote  : 'The mind is useful for counting small change'
Marty G, modified 7 Years ago at 2/12/17 1:49 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/12/17 1:49 PM

Forgot to mention : Rudi would have no time for merely intention directed, 'merely' prayerful method. Intention yes, for sure, but always followed with massive effort. The effort ( success, failure, stress etc) was the point that would teach and transform, not mere intention alone.
Marty G, modified 7 Years ago at 2/13/17 1:24 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/13/17 1:23 AM

For anyone interested this is the unrefined text of  Franklin Jones/ Adi Da's time with Rudi, from 1964 to 1968 written in 1971, from the original version of 'The Knee of Listening' available on beezone.com. http://www.beezone.com/AdiDa/KneeofListening/book/chapter7.html

Breadcrumb