Sudden momentary visual shaking or wobbling after getting into EQ

thumbnail
Chris O, modified 7 Years ago at 2/20/17 12:18 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/20/17 12:01 AM

Sudden momentary visual shaking or wobbling after getting into EQ

Can somebody clue me in to what this phenomena is?  Do others get this? This happens right at the beginning of mature Equanimity, like when Equanimity is "stabilizing."

For a very brief moment, a few frames of the visual field slow down, become extraordinarily clear/high resolution, and "shake" or rappidly "wobble," like some sort of wave is passing through the luminous static noise behind the eyelids. 

It's as if I'm watching the radiant luminosity and suddenly the camera gets jostled really hard for a second, but awareness is able to stay with the distortion to clearly see the visual field as it happens.

Kind of like awareness is "synchronizing" with the sensate world, or awareness is trying to sample a few "frames" of visual data at the highest rate/granularity possible.

There are also variations to this, such as awareness instantaneously "zooming" into (or out of) an arbitrary portion or corner of the visual field, or a portion of the visual field suddenly "spins" momentarily.

This happens shortly after the mind gets into EQ, virtually every time, once or twice a cycle. So if I'm reviewing and I complete 10 cycles through the nanas in a given sit, it'll happen once or twice each of those 10 cycles, for less than a second each time.

When I see this phenomena happen, I know cessations are just around the corner, with just a little more time spent in EQ. I use it as my cue to be on my toes, to make sure mindfulness is sharp for when the next cessation comes.

Has happened since before Stream Entry. Since getting Second Path, the wavelength and amplitude of this "wave" that passes through is shorter, causing finer-scale "shaking."

Does this make sense to anyone? Has someone figured out what's happening here? Is there anything useful I can or should do with this besides use it as a marker for where I'm at in EQ?
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 2/20/17 1:58 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/20/17 1:58 PM

RE: Sudden momentary visual shaking or wobbling after getting into EQ

Maybe formations as discussed in MCTB?
neko, modified 7 Years ago at 2/20/17 2:16 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/20/17 2:16 PM

Definitely formations.
thumbnail
Chris O, modified 7 Years ago at 2/20/17 4:10 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/20/17 4:10 PM

Thanks! When I read about formations in MCTB, I remember thinking: "...aaaaaand no idea what the hell I'm reading here." In other words, it was so foreign and incomprehensible that my mind retained zero of it. Will have to go back and check it out now.
neko, modified 7 Years ago at 2/21/17 4:05 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/21/17 4:05 AM

That's the best thing about MCTB IMHO. I don't know how intentional it is on the part of Daniel, but how some things sound utterly incomprehensible before and completely natural after is a great tool for self-diagnosis. Let us know what you think after rereading that section emoticon

Breadcrumb