SoundSelf

Be Your Self, modified 7 Years ago at 2/26/17 12:24 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/25/17 11:55 PM

SoundSelf

Hi,

I'm back with a new screen name.  Had my email hacked twice (Yahoo - poor security) and decided to reset a few passwords.  Then forgot my new Dho pw.  Anyway...

Has anyone tried SoundSelf?  It looks like it might be the first true technological enhancement/facilitation for meditators.  I know there's lots of tech out there - biofeedback, binaural beats etc etc, but they don't really work.  People are saying this does work.  My PC isn't fast enough, but I'd upgrade if someone told it was awesome.

Anyone tried it?

Some nice sounds with headphones, and fractals, but of course you need the software to create the feedback loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKmagXFddA
thumbnail
Lewis James, modified 7 Years ago at 2/26/17 4:00 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/26/17 3:58 PM

RE: SoundSelf

I have tried it briefly on an older version - it was a very captivating experience. Unsure whether useful in terms of meditation, would need further experimentation. I will try it again on my newer hardware!

The creator Robin Arnott actually has an account here (under his full name) - I have seen him post about the software before but can't find the thread. Can't figure out how to link to a user profile but you could probably message him through the Messages tab at the top if you type his screenname 'videodreaming' into the recipient tab it should find his account. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions about it.
Be Your Self, modified 7 Years ago at 2/26/17 7:30 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/26/17 7:30 PM

Lewis:
I have tried it briefly on an older version - it was a very captivating experience. Unsure whether useful in terms of meditation, would need further experimentation. I will try it again on my newer hardware!

The creator Robin Arnott actually has an account here (under his full name) - I have seen him post about the software before but can't find the thread. Can't figure out how to link to a user profile but you could probably message him through the Messages tab at the top if you type his screenname 'videodreaming' into the recipient tab it should find his account. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions about it.

Thanks Lewis.  Please tell me how it went with your new PC.

I emailed him a few weeks back and got no reply. 
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 7 Years ago at 2/28/17 9:38 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 2/28/17 9:38 AM

I have purchased it and tried it, including the latest beta version.

I have to sadly say it left me quite underwhelmed. The idea is great, and the technical execution is good also... it's just a bit too mellow for my taste. I wanted it to blow my mind, but it didn't come close.

I have been meaning to email Robin asking him to provide a way to up the intensity, but I haven't gotten around to doing so.
Robin Lindsay Arnott, modified 4 Years ago at 1/29/20 2:56 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/29/20 2:56 PM

Hey folks,  

Grateful to find this thread. I'm the developer of SoundSelf and it'll be coming out in just a couple of months.

We've just done some research on the project, and seen that for experienced meditators, 10 minutes in the game can give an equivalent state of unity to a large dose of psilocybin.

Here are some resources:

Teaser Trailer: https://bit.ly/3aUxObC
  Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/590510/SoundSelf/
thumbnail
Lewis James, modified 4 Years ago at 1/30/20 4:23 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 1/30/20 4:23 AM

Good to hear from you again Robin! I haven't tried the app in quite a while but I will certainly be picking it up on release. Had some fun experiments with it - it's very trance-inducing.

By the way, the link to your site is broken (points to: https://www.dharmaoverground.org/www.soundself.com )