Reputable UK meditation organisations? Mostly cult stuff in my area

thumbnail
D, modified 7 Years ago at 3/12/17 4:30 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/12/17 4:30 PM

Reputable UK meditation organisations? Mostly cult stuff in my area

I'm interested in working with a teacher at some point in the near future, however, from a cursory glance, it seems like the majority of the meditation-related centers in my area are either weird cult bullshit(NKT) or are 'casual' and aim for mundane,everyday aims like reducing stress rather than awakening.

Does anyone have any experiences with UK meditation organisations, or sites, that have good teachers? Preferably not retreat related.
thumbnail
Babs _, modified 7 Years ago at 3/12/17 4:39 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/12/17 4:39 PM

RE: Reputable UK meditation organisations? Mostly cult stuff in my area

I know someone from the Dharma Mind sangha who are quite ardent practitioners. They have monthly retreats etc.
thumbnail
Lewis James, modified 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 8:19 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 8:19 AM

What do people think of Triratna (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triratna_Buddhist_Community)? I'm in a similiar situation as OP, in UK, where there are a few smaller local groups that meet infrequently, a big NKT place which is obviously best avoided and little else. There is this fairly large Triratna centre nearby though, I feel like they might be the 'casual' type organisation you're talking of but don't know much about them organisationally.
thumbnail
Babs _, modified 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 8:27 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 8:27 AM

Aloka David Smith before he founded Dharma Mind was in Triratna. The split happened because Aloka was publicly explaining awakening and other things. The friend I mentioned practiced for 7 years in Triratna before DM was founded. He said that one problem they have in Triratna is that they don't have teachers there with enough know-how. I don't have personal experience but this is what I was told. Aloka David Smith dies two years ago so DM is going through some changes.
Derek2, modified 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 9:25 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 9:25 AM

There is Amaravati and related monasteries. They sometimes have some non-retreat programs.

I think pretty much any serious meditation teacher (as opposed to a casual, "mindfulness" instructor) is going to be retreat-oriented.
thumbnail
Babs _, modified 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 10:38 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 10:38 AM

Just remembered that there is James Low, a dzogchen teacher there. Three different sanghas in UK: http://www.simplybeing.co.uk/country-contacts/
Nick Green, modified 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 11:03 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 11:03 AM

I became involved with Triratna in 1994 and still am to a small extent now. They place a lot of emphasis on spiritual friendship and having a practice in the city, which was magic for me when I became involved in my early twenties (and still is to some extent today). Many of the friends I met are still my friends now and we meet up regularly for dharma chats/meditation, walks and hanging out etc. I also joined a residential community in my late twenties and stayed there for four years, which was largely good.

However, as my own practice deepened things started to get difficult. I crossed the A&P in 2000 and struggled to find anyone who could really explain its significance or what it meant. Stumbling across MCTB in 2010 was a life changer. Now that I have more experience of vipassana, I’m quite shocked by how little the orthodox Triratna wing recognise insight practice, let alone awakening, which has led to my gradual withdrawal over the last 5 years. So yes, a ‘casual’ group, with a rigid ecclesiastical hierarchy if you decide to get more involved (i.e. become a Mitra/seek ordination) including a strong evangelical element. However, the meditation retreat centre in North Wales (Vajraloka) is worth checking out. Certainly not as structured as Mahasi-style retreats but good nonetheless for practice and insight discussion. I met Aloka a few times after he first got involved and it is no surprise to me that he left.
neko, modified 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 11:39 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 11:39 AM

I have heard good things about Gaia House. If I understand correctly, the approach has more of a IMS flavour than a practical dharma one. Never been there myself though. 
thumbnail
Lewis James, modified 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 12:22 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 12:22 PM

Nick Green:
 I’m quite shocked by how little the orthodox Triratna wing recognise insight practice, let alone awakening, which has led to my gradual withdrawal over the last 5 years. So yes, a ‘casual’ group, with a rigid ecclesiastical hierarchy if you decide to get more involved (i.e. become a Mitra/seek ordination) including a strong evangelical element. 

That was sort of the impression I got and what I was worried about - though some local 'spiritual friendship' would be nice it seems a little Methodist Church to me, if you see what I mean.

neko:
I have heard good things about Gaia House. If I understand correctly, the approach has more of a IMS flavour than a practical dharma one. Never been there myself though. 

There is an insight group related to Gaia House in my city I just found out about recently. Will certainly attend one of their meetings in the near future, though I think they only meet every other week.
thumbnail
supaluqi, modified 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 1:02 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/13/17 12:55 PM

I didnt have much luck looking around for a theravada flavoured sangha and opted for a zen one, with mixed results...

I've been tending towards the idea of organising ones own retreats, and specifically cheap camping retreats. I got as far as finding a campsite which allowed campfires and is a stones throw from the white horse and Wayland Smithy near Uffington. (ley line node...might aswell why not?!)

Britchcombe Farm

I'm currently DIYing a large tent to serve as a meditation hall (could fit 6 to 8 people) and is expandable. My plan is to do a monthly 5day peer to peer retreat where people can drop in/out as they please, and just pay the campsite people for their pitch (£7 a night) and thats it. It would have to be weekdays however as the campsite gets party goers at the weekend. Im certainly open to other locations.

If anyone would be interested in this or know good cheap campsites which allow campfires let me know on this thread, and when comes the time I'll post announcements....

Breadcrumb