Differences between the fire and light kasinas

John, modified 7 Years ago at 4/8/17 10:34 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 4/8/17 10:34 PM

Differences between the fire and light kasinas

In the fire kasina thread, Daniel gave an equivalent for the different Jhanas with fire Kasina, 1st = red light, 2nd = spinning yellow, 3rd = some color I can't remember with 3D outline and then 4th was full blown 3D imagery. (Going off memory so I might be wrong a bit).

I was wondering if I will get the same kind of visual representations for the Jhanas if I use the lightbulb on my ceiling to do a kasina.

Also, are these only useful for concentration or could they be used to do insight meditation as well, if so what technique would be best?

As of now, usually I get a large golden imprint with a sort of wavy red outline. After a while the spot turns completely dark but clearly visible and then turns to red, sometimes purple. I can't figure out if red or dark is the deeper state of concentration because sometimes red turns into dark afterwards and I don't know if I am regressing or going further because I also feel deeply concentrated when it happens. I also don't know if the red spot would be equivalent to the first jhana because if I switch to the bodily sensation of it, it's not very strong, at most it would correspond to descriptions I have read of piti, or at least from descriptions the 1st jhana is supposed to be quite strong and pleasant and a novel experience for someone who has never reached it so I don't think that is it, unless people exaggerate the 1st jhana or that the feeling depends on the person.

Any advice is welcome, please and thank you emoticon

Breadcrumb