Does anybody know the source of this story?

Shanmugam P, modified 6 Years ago at 6/9/17 5:40 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/9/17 5:40 PM

Does anybody know the source of this story?

I came across a story online which is very beautiful, and it illustrates why Nibbana is decribed using negative terminology. I would like to know if this story is actually in any scriptures of Pali canon, so that I can quote it directly if I tell this story to anyone..

Here is the story:

There was once a turtle who lived in a lake with a group of fish. One day the turtle went for a walk on dry land. He was away from the lake for a few weeks. When he returned he met some of the fish. The fish asked him, "Mister turtle, hello! How are you? We have not seen you for a few weeks. Where have you been? The turtle said, "I was up on the land, I have been spending some time on dry land." The fish were a little puzzled and they said, "Up on dry land? What are you talking about? What is this dry land? Is it wet?" The turtle said "No, it is not," "Is it cool and refreshing?" "No it is not", "Does it have waves and ripples?" "No, it does not have waves and ripples." "Can you swim in it?" "No you can't" So the fish said, "it is not wet, it is not cool there are no waves, you cant swim in it. So this dry land of yours must be completely non-existent, just an imaginary thing, nothing real at all." The turtle said that "Well may be so" and he left the fish and went for another walk on dry land.
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 6/10/17 3:28 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/10/17 3:28 PM

RE: Does anybody know the source of this story?

This web page

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/budtch/budteach33.htm#_edn4

recounts the same story and gives this source: Bhikkhu Silācāra's booklet, The Four Noble Truths. The story itself is cute, but it does not sound like something you would find in the Pali Canon. I'd wager it is modern.

Breadcrumb