How to break through A&P, piti/kundalini/chakra experiences

Keep Calm, modified 6 Years ago at 6/20/17 3:53 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/20/17 3:53 PM

How to break through A&P, piti/kundalini/chakra experiences

Hi, after about two weeks of vipassana Mahasi noting, I think I'm approaching the A&P -- though I'm not 100% sure of this. Here is what is happening:

- During one sitting I suddenly found myself able to comfortably sit for 60 minutes which I never thought would happen (was previously sitting for only 30 minutes). Ever since this I've been sitting for 60 mins and a strong motivation has arisen...

- I follow the breath at the abdomen as closely and presently as possible without labeling 'rising/falling' but just noticing the sensation of movement. Between breaths, I focus on the sensation of 'sitting'. If I put in a boost of effort and notice 'sitting' in as many moments as possible, my body starts to vibrate/shake and there is upwards pressure focused in the head. However, as soon as I stop noting, the vibrations ease and I'm back to before. This hasnt yet happened while noting the breath, only when noting sitting - I haven't yet experiences the breathing sensations as vibrations.

- Some piti/kundalini (interchangeble?) sensations arising and have experienced pressure in the chakra regions (solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye moving upwards in this order). This has been quite distracting and it is dificult to note the breath as a primary object, should I ignore the piti and continue focusing on the abdomen or use piti as primary object (I'm weary of inducing jhana vs A&P)

- A&P vs jhana/shamatha: I'm trying to detemine whether this is truly A&P territory, or whether my concentration has increased and actually I have been experiencing shamatha/jhanic qualities? The main indication this is A&P is that I am experiencing piti/vibrations during the day and they seem to come in cycles and that during meditation, speedy noting is responsible for all over body vibrations

- Finally, if this is indeed A&P, it seems as though i keep cycling up to it, approaching it, but not crossing it! What do I need to do to cross the A&P? Is it just a matter of speeding up noting and is it common to approach A&P, drop down and how many times will this happen.

Many thanks emoticon
thumbnail
Ben V, modified 6 Years ago at 6/20/17 8:10 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/20/17 8:10 PM

RE: How to break through A&P, piti/kundalini/chakra experiences

I find some aspects of your experience similar to mine. I'll let more advanced folks answer. But I have a question. When you focus on the sensation of "sitting", what exactly are you focusing on? The sensation of the whole body? Or sensations of parts of the body like contact sensations with the floor and so on? I also tend to feel vibrations more in the interval between an out-breath and an in-breath, when I focus on other aspects of experience. 
Keep Calm, modified 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 3:49 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 3:49 AM

Hi, thats cool to hear your'e having similar experiences! 
When you focus on the sensation of "sitting", what exactly are you focusing on?
Ben V. - When I'm noticing sitting, its more a sense of posture and often I find its closer to noticing 'being' rather than 'sitting'. If I focus on sitting (being) as speedy as possible, thats when stuff starts to get more intense.
what you're describing sounds pretty much the same as what I'm experiencing

Junglist - I had a look as your practice log and yes, a lot of what you're going through is quite similar to my experience so far. Best of luck!

Thanks for your replies, will wait for some more advanced practicioners, see what they have to say...
junglist, modified 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 2:22 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 2:22 AM

Hey, I feel like I'm in a very similar position to you and what you're describing sounds pretty much the same as what I'm experiencing. Sorry to say that I don't have an answer, but would be very interested to hear how you get on and second/third the wish to hear from other more advanced practitioners.

Good luck!
Adam, modified 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 6:11 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 6:11 AM

What's the hurry? If you have good technique and practice well progress takes care of itself. Less thinking more noting!
Mettafore, modified 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 11:32 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 11:32 AM

RE: How to break through A&P, piti/kundalini/chakra experiences (Answer)

Here is a Theravada checklist which might help you. It is called the ten corruptions of insight https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-Ten-Corruptions-of-Insight-in-Buddhism or check out Daniel's book for more details. It is possible for the meditator to get attached to these and think they are progressing and they often forget to note an let go. Now, that you've seen this list, you'll know that you've got to note everything: bliss, confidence, calm, lights, vibrations, manic energy, faith, knowledge etc. Take no prisoners! When in doubt, note promptly.
junglist, modified 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 12:42 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 12:42 PM

Thanks for the advice! Sounds right.

That's the thing with noting isn't it, it's always got a blooming answer for everything hasn't it.
Keep Calm, modified 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 2:35 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 2:35 PM

Ahh thanks for the list Mettafore emoticon
Starting to realise the 'when in doubt - note' phrase is perhaps the most important thing in all of this
Mettafore, modified 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 11:37 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 6/21/17 11:37 PM

Keep Calm:
Ahh thanks for the list Mettafore emoticon
Starting to realise the 'when in doubt - note' phrase is perhaps the most important thing in all of this

Lol, it is. Also, don't forget to note doubt itself emoticon . It is one of the 5 hindrances after all.

Breadcrumb