Am I imagining this?

Cres Cendo, modified 13 Years ago at 7/14/10 11:49 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 7/14/10 11:49 PM

Am I imagining this?

Hello,

At some point in one of my very recent sits, when there were many tiny sensations all over, I decided to focus on mental formations as a primary object of meditation. I don't know how to describe what happened next.
Is it possible to experience thought-lets arising and passing away very quickly but being felt as vibrations or throbbing in the crown and some being felt like visual sensations as they arise and pass away? It almost felt like thoughts (not complete coherent thoughts but bits and pieces of them) were exploding on my forehead and behind my eyes and being felt as physical sensations. I then had the thought is this the awareness of formations? At that very moment I felt a sharp coldness rise from the base of the spine to the neck. It quickly pervaded the body and I started to sweat. I wasn't sure if I was imagining this experience of formations. Anyway, it abated.

However, at the last sitting, I had a similar experience but this time I had a sense for just a brief second of the beginning of the losing the noting/aware mind in the "formations". But then I was back...maybe I feel that I got in the way of something more by being self-conscious. That's the best I can describe it.

Can anyone tell me if this makes any sense/sounds familiar or was it just a fertile imagination at play?

Many thanks.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 13 Years ago at 7/15/10 1:49 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 7/15/10 1:49 AM

RE: Am I imagining this?

hey emoticon

I experience thoughts as vibrations all of the time. The vibrations originate in (what feels like) the middle/base of the brain, and as they move up they eventually transform into thought.

I don't think it's your imagination, but even if that's the case, I always found it good to remember that my imagination is part of reality, since it's happening in my brain, and that I should meditate on it like on anything else. It is impermanent, unsatisfactory, and arises by itself.

Bruno
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 7/22/10 4:27 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 7/22/10 4:27 PM

RE: Am I imagining this?

Sounds like A&P like territory to me.

Good stuff,

Daniel