thumbnail
Ward Law, modified 6 Years ago at 7/26/17 6:11 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/26/17 6:11 PM

Robert Wright interviews Daniel

Just posted on youtube: https://youtu.be/cDuLCDEjV_g
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 7/28/17 9:16 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/28/17 9:15 AM

RE: Robert Wright interviews Daniel

I loved the other instalments but there was definitely too much Trump in this one for my taste. Interesting first 15 minutes though. Feel free to close at that point if, like me, are not particularly interested in discussions about (U.S. American) politics.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 6 Years ago at 7/28/17 11:26 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/28/17 11:26 AM

I have to agree - too much Trump. Fun to hear Daniel dharma diagnose Robert Wright, though.
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 7/28/17 3:14 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/28/17 3:14 PM

Chris Marti:
I have to agree - too much Trump. Fun to hear Daniel dharma diagnose Robert Wright, though.

True that. I don't know if Robert is just acting humble, but it sure looks like he has difficulty accepting the idea that he might have had any kind of interesting insights of his own, let alone attainments. I wonder what his book is like.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 8:14 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 8:14 AM

... it sure looks like he has difficulty accepting the idea that he might have had any kind of interesting insights of his own, let alone attainments.

Having watched many Robert Wright videos I think maybe he's reluctant to get on the Daniel Ingram "I have meditative attainments" train. That's probably not perceived as a proper stance for someone who wants to attract the kind of interviewees Wright wants for his podcasts.
Barry D, modified 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 8:37 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 8:37 AM

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed this. 

I particularly enjoyed the dharma diagnostic element and enjoyed Dan's prescision around stream entry. I think many serious practioners have strong experiences at some point and perhaps dont make sense of them or discredit them in some way. 

Like others, didnt enjoy the Trump stuff so much. But I understand why folks are concerned and want to talk to about him. 

B
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 4:04 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 4:04 PM

Paweł K:
Robert obviously does not like Daniel's models much and literately wasted whole interview on Trump, then basically admitted it @58:00...
If we do not assume he is like very very stupid it was like slap in Daniel's the face.... not nice!
It was pretty mean and even worse: it was lame!. If he had valid point to make he could do it properly, with discussion and giving smart arguments.
Proper way to destroy Daniel would be to play his own game and go into phenomenology, poke holes in his insight by showing own superior insight.
The issue (for Robert at least) is that Daniel is more intelligent and would always win direct argument, and that besides Daniel being better meditator.

I missed the part @58:00 but I did not have the impression that he was being mean towards Daniel. Maybe I am naive? Anybody thought the same?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 5:13 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 5:13 PM

I didn't detect that Wright was being mean to Daniel, either. Wright doesn't ever seem to come to his interviews with an attitude other than one of curiosity.
C P M, modified 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 6:08 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/29/17 6:07 PM

My wife and I both listened to the interview. Our impression was that Robert was coming across as a bit of a dick at the beginning. He seemed to lighten up towards the end.

I enjoyed listening to Daniel, including his political observations.
thumbnail
streamsurfer, modified 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 3:46 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 3:46 AM

There have been already (two?) interviews with Daniel and Robert before, and Robert was often harshly interupting and in my eyes somewhat exhausting.
I guess he wanted to try a new direction in content with Trump, since the last times they talked about phenomonology for hours.
But leaving aside his character, Robert seems to me like an open-minded and interested guy.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 7:07 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 7:07 PM

I personally find Bob enjoyable to talk with and hold his New York speech patterns and tendencies as simply as part of the culture he is a part of, being familiar to me and comfortable due to my New England roots from long ago. We had conversations before the conversation you saw about what we would talk about, and I think were both happy with how it all went.

As to Trump, the conversation regarding him actually served me well as a vehicle to talk about the general subject of narcissism and the Cluster B personality disorders in general, particularly in the at least somewhat awakened, as a substantial portion of the trouble in the DhO itself, its sister communities, and most Buddhist communities in general has resulted largely from the presence of those traits among practitioners, many of which are poorly addressed or even entirely unaddressed by fundamental insights, or though to have been overcome and eliminated by practice entirely when they hadn't seemed to have been so in practice, and thus it had relevance for me related to recent life events of some consequence, so I found talking about the topic, even in general terms, somewhat cathartic, as well as rarely discussed and thus relevant, as well as a good set up for some of what appears in MCTB2.

Daniel

Breadcrumb