I am isolated from community and this could lead me to useless habits

Iulian Doroftei, modified 6 Years ago at 7/30/17 5:09 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/30/17 5:08 AM

I am isolated from community and this could lead me to useless habits

I've read Daniel's book 3 times and sifted through this forum a lot, but I feel that I need an interactive feedback to my practice - i.e. a teacher. (I guess in Buddhist terms, I lack one of the three gems - the Sangha)

Given the facts I can't travel for this and in my city there is no community, what can I do to have contact with people doing the same thing? Are there Skype sessions or other ways of closerly connecting with the online community, at least? Will a lack of human contact impede on my evolution? (I feel it does, as I have been practicing for close to 4 years and my evolution seems pretty slow paced)

Is there a way to mend this drawback, given the conditions?
C P M, modified 6 Years ago at 7/30/17 10:08 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/30/17 10:07 AM

RE: I am isolated from community and this could lead me to useless habits

Shinzen has a home practice program.

http://homepracticeprogram.com/
Iulian Doroftei, modified 6 Years ago at 7/30/17 11:25 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/30/17 11:25 AM

Thank you!
Iulian Doroftei, modified 6 Years ago at 7/30/17 6:03 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/30/17 6:02 PM

Paweł K:
yeah... because habits are useful only if originate and are accepted by community...

Moses went deep into mountains risking life seeking true God
and what community of his followers did? made some crappy golden caf and prayed to it like there was any value in it, danced around it like idiots because other idiots did it too

I really appreciate your words which, despite their bitterness, may hold a lot of wisdom. Nevertheless, following your example, Moses endured everything for those idiots. I love people. They are all walking miracles. I would prefer a tousand times to help others get enlightened than to enlighen myself.
Iulian Doroftei, modified 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 6:32 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 6:32 AM

Paweł K:
I know it is not quite 'dharma' as you know, so perhaps not what you expected to find... or were you?

I get what you say, it makes sense and I am not at all offended by any trespassing of traditional teachings. The discussion level is very general and the metaphors can be translated according to one's beliefs.
Still, what is Sīla (which is a mandatory element for enlightenment)? Doesn't it apply to your relationship with the people around, more than (or as well as) to your own well-being?
On the other hand, I can accept that a direct, exclusive and intense relationship with an absolute principle (may it be God) is the very highest endeavor a human can take.

Breadcrumb