The Buddha and 'Agencylessness'

Robin Woods, modified 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 6:35 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 6:35 AM

The Buddha and 'Agencylessness'

Right, so this is probably really thick considering the amount of time I've spent on here over the years....

Could anyone recommend any specific passages where the Buddha talks about 'Agencylessness'/ the perception of Things Happening By Themselves? or actually even why this would be a Good Thing?

Also, does anyone know why the breakdown of subject-object perception goes hand in hand with the perception of 'Agencylessness'? Is this just a 'truer' way of perceiving things from the Buddhist perspective? Is this the way things always already were happening without the (evolutionary?) centrepoint/ego-process getting in the way?

Not sure I'm even phrasing this right?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 11:32 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 7/31/17 9:53 AM

RE: The Buddha and 'Agencylessness'

The Bahiya Sutta come as close to this as anything I know of:

"In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."
Robin Woods, modified 6 Years ago at 8/1/17 10:12 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/1/17 10:12 AM

RE: The Buddha and 'Agencylessness'

Thanks Chris - I guess that might be a great place to start addressing my procrastination/Pali Canon problem!!

I hope all is well with you!

Breadcrumb