Jhana ? when meeting my Somatic Therapist

Jorge, modified 6 Years ago at 8/9/17 5:41 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/9/17 5:39 PM

Jhana ? when meeting my Somatic Therapist

Hi all,

I had this experience and would like your take on it. I showed up to my somatic therapist and we were talking when a wave of light headedness and tingling body sensations arose. My entire system was flooded with tingling/bubbly sensations. It felt like one of those moments when you stand up quickly and your body tingles and get lighthead. Except I was sitting still. I used a broad open focus awareness to maintain perspective as I talked. However, there were moments that I couldn't understand what my therapist was saying at times because the sensations were so intense. It felt really damn good. 

I told him what was happening and eventually was able to describe it to him as "a full body orgasm". He had be focus on my abdomen and place my feet on the floor to help me stabalize the energy. I am about 1.5 hours into this and I can feel it subsiding. I figured I probably need to eat something heavy to help me come out of this. 

Also, I don't suffer from diabetes or blood pressure issues. 

Jhana or just some serious Piti?
Jinxed P, modified 6 Years ago at 8/9/17 7:30 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/9/17 7:30 PM

RE: Jhana ? when meeting my Somatic Therapist

Not jhana. Jhana is a very intense single focused attention. It is a retreat from the five senses. Outside sounds, sights and even thoughts are barely perceptible. 
Jorge, modified 6 Years ago at 8/10/17 4:32 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/10/17 4:32 PM

Jinxed, thanks for the reply. I ended up doing more searches online and all it was Piti. 

from wikipedia it falls under fullfilling rapture.
  • Weak rapture only causes piloerection.
  • Short rapture evocates some thunder "from time to time".
  • Going down rapture explodes inside the body, like waves.
  • Exalting rapture "makes the body jump to the sky".
  • Fulfilling rapture seems to be a huge flood of a mountain stream.
I did notice a the emotional piece (bliss) arise very intensly but didn't focus on it because I was trying to stay engaged with my somatic therapist. My guess is that if I want to get into Jhana I would place my attention on the emotional component (sukha) as Leigh Brasington explains.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 6 Years ago at 8/12/17 5:45 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/12/17 5:45 AM

A&P.

D
LoveQuest, modified 6 Years ago at 8/14/17 5:45 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/14/17 5:45 AM

Sounds like the therapist transferred energy to you.  Is he particularly talented?  Do other patients report strange occurrences such as seeing lights and unusual sounds, feeling ecstatic and unburdened? 
Jorge, modified 6 Years ago at 8/14/17 9:04 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/14/17 9:04 AM

Thanks Daniel!
Jorge, modified 6 Years ago at 8/14/17 9:22 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/14/17 9:22 AM

LoveQuest:
Sounds like the therapist transferred energy to you.  Is he particularly talented?  Do other patients report strange occurrences such as seeing lights and unusual sounds, feeling ecstatic and unburdened? 

Thanks you for your response! I doubt it was that. I detected a physical change around 2pm in the day and then went to my therapist around 3. He didn't know what was going on. I had to mention several times that I wasn't paying attention to him because I couldn't. The physical sensations were so strong that my attention was fluctuating between what I felt to seeing/hearing. At times I knew he was saying something but I could hear a word of what he was saying. Also, the same experience happened the very next day just not so intense. 

What I've done differently in the last couple weeks is more open focus concentration meditation during my sits and sitting 3 times a day. I'm very dilligent doing mindfulness practice throughout the day.

Now back to investigating everyday normal experience 

Breadcrumb