Individuality, Nonduality, Anatta, Nirvana

Cedar, modified 6 Years ago at 8/11/17 7:01 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/11/17 7:00 PM

Individuality, Nonduality, Anatta, Nirvana

Imagine I am sitting at Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America, or Wat Pah Nanachat (Ajahn Chah Monastery) in Thailand, or Panditãrãma (Sayadaw U Pandita-Mahasi Sayadaw Center) in Burma, or at some 3-year silent retreat in the tradition of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu or Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

A lot drops off (Anatta), Nonduality is experienced, with wisdom one awakens (Nirvana).

There is a dynamic with multiplicity (Individuals), Emptiness, Awareness, Etc.

How is awakening related to the individual?

This is to be open to all traditions and view points. There may be members with not as much formal knowledge as others that yet have diamond tidbits of wisdom.

Let us be encouraging and delve into what each other presents with a lot of respect so this discussion can draw out important understandings and content.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 6 Years ago at 8/12/17 5:51 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/12/17 5:51 AM

RE: Individuality, Nonduality, Anatta, Nirvana

Awakening is clearly something that happens to a living being, altering their perspective or revealing fundamental truths, however you wish to express it, and, while those fundamental truths might be expressed in ways that involve words like "empty of a self", still, it is the sensations that previously made up both self and other that are revealed in some very vivid, clear, immediate, transformative way.

Thus, when they awaken, from their vantage pointless vantage point, the whole field of their unique experience is awakened, but, as basically everyone who has awakened and asked other people if their awakening suddenly awakened everyone else, the answer is "no".

So, while it can't really quite be called an "individual thing", still, it clearly happens to an individual, or a unique sense field, or however you wish to put it. When the Buddha awakened, for example, he still clearly noticed that his awakening didn't awaken everyone, as everyone else also noticed.

I am curious to know the background to your question and what practical value you hope the discussion will have for yourself as well as others. Thoughts?
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 8/13/17 7:35 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/13/17 7:35 AM

Paweł K:
dukkha is caused by parts of brain getting tired from being overused

I like this. Not sure if 100% accurate, but definitely useful.
Cedar, modified 6 Years ago at 8/13/17 11:37 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 8/13/17 11:37 AM

Daniel M. Ingram:
Awakening is clearly something that happens to a living being, altering their perspective or revealing fundamental truths, however you wish to express it, and, while those fundamental truths might be expressed in ways that involve words like "empty of a self", still, it is the sensations that previously made up both self and other that are revealed in some very vivid, clear, immediate, transformative way.

Thus, when they awaken, from their vantage pointless vantage point, the whole field of their unique experience is awakened, but, as basically everyone who has awakened and asked other people if their awakening suddenly awakened everyone else, the answer is "no".

So, while it can't really quite be called an "individual thing", still, it clearly happens to an individual, or a unique sense field, or however you wish to put it. When the Buddha awakened, for example, he still clearly noticed that his awakening didn't awaken everyone, as everyone else also noticed.

I am curious to know the background to your question and what practical value you hope the discussion will have for yourself as well as others. Thoughts?
Daniel I think you hit an abstract question on the head.

Sometimes in the community we have a singular focus around Anatta and so we don't delve into and understand the dynamics around "Individuality" and or "Specificity".  I guess I am hoping to open those topics up for the wisdom of the community to really develop content and understanding around.

Breadcrumb