RE: My YouTube Channel Richard Zen 9/20/19 3:00 PM
RE: My YouTube Channel Richard Zen 9/25/19 2:40 AM
RE: My YouTube Channel Richard Zen 10/19/19 12:37 PM
My YouTube Channel
Answer
5/23/18 12:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKjqfUCABDEd6i8uQZ0BqTA
Psych Reviews

Hello I'm just starting a rough YouTube channel for Psychology, Philosophy, and Meditation book reviews. I hope you enjoy.

Richard 

RE: My new YouTube Channel
Answer
8/13/17 11:33 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
I saw the other post. I hope the 2nd video is not too quiet. Oh well people can crank it.

Richard

Answer
8/14/17 1:14 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Cool idea for a channel. 

Answer
8/19/17 6:30 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
I just uploaded a Guided Insight Meditation with Pink Noise. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHTJN2AoVUg

...and a meditation bell with pink noise and no voice-over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCe7kmX-L0

Answer
8/22/17 12:27 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
I have some good ideas of what I want to review for Psychology books, but for Buddhist books I would appreciate it if anybody here has some requests on what they would like reviewed. Any books that are considered more practical, seminal, or books that have different interpretations of the Dhamma?

Answer
8/22/17 6:20 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Saints & Psychopaths 
Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree
In This Very Life

id enjoy seeing texts tied to tradition talked about 

Answer
8/22/17 7:06 PM as a reply to Noah D.
Thanks for reminding me of Saints and Psychopaths. That would be perfect for my Narcissist book review series. I remember that. Lots of covert types out there and scandals. I could probably extend that to other religions as well. 

Answer
8/31/17 1:39 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
I just uploaded my take on Mahasi noting. I hope you enjoy. Now I'm off to look at Saints and Psychopaths. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OsuiCaTmWE

Answer
9/17/17 10:39 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
I'm still working on Saints and Psychopaths. That almost needs to be in my Narcissism book review playlist but I'll keep it in the comtemplative section.

I just published my experience with trying to heal co-dependency which I briefly posted in my log before. It focuses on the Grey Rock method of dealing with toxic people. I have a sneaky suspicion though that some of you have some interesting techniques with meditation and Buddhism on how to deal with toxic people that psychologists wouldn't know about. I would appreciate any comments on my channel on what worked for you.

https://youtu.be/j42qqS2aEE4
Testimonial - Recovering from Co-dependency and Toxic People - Ross Rosenberg

Answer
9/18/17 4:07 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Nice, I subbed will check out the videos later.

Answer
9/18/17 7:29 PM as a reply to (D Z) Dhru Val.
Thanks. Later in the year I think I will have more time to create more videos but I only have a dozen right now.

Answer
9/29/17 6:47 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Just added Freud's On Narcissism. Lots of insights here into how self-love can go awry, yet Echo is an example of when self-love is too low. Being in the atheist camp Freud and other Neo-Freudians look at religion as an attempt to bring back the fetal experience when all our needs are met. I'm probably going to have to go back to Nietzsche to see how psychoanalysis and analytical psychology was influenced by him.

https://youtu.be/p5bkxLpQ0Qo
Freud - On Narcissism

My subtitles are in English but I can tell I'll have to start translating into other languages since YouTube is so international. That's a whole pile of work. emoticon

Answer
10/3/17 2:03 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
If you are still taking recommendations for books to review. How about mine? emoticonThe Awakened Ape.  It's been on the best seller's list in Buddhism and Theravada for quite some time now. 

Answer
10/3/17 6:22 PM as a reply to Jinxed P.
Sure, I actually bought that one. 

Answer
10/5/17 1:04 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Bringing in meditation into your daily life

https://youtu.be/9ESPuWUkjpc

Feel free to comment on methods you use in daily life, since there are so many.

Just finished Saints and Psychopaths. That will be out on the 19th.

Answer
10/5/17 8:32 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Really enjoyed this review. Thanks, Richard.

Answer
10/6/17 9:49 PM as a reply to Incandescent Flower.
Incandescent Flower:
Really enjoyed this review. Thanks, Richard.

Thank you. The welcoming meditation in particular really helped me in daily life. There were so many little stresses that were unconscious until I started welcoming more irritants to see how far it was possible to improve my moods.

Answer
10/11/17 8:41 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
https://youtu.be/Lnsfxfy-wS0

Saints and Psychopaths is finished early. It was a fun one to do because of similarities the book has to other books on the cycle of abuse. It's nice to know that evil has a playbook people can read to protect themselves.

Next up is Haiku.

Answer
10/11/17 9:27 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
https://youtu.be/7J5RPCquQ_I

Haiku - Various Poets

To get the most out of this experience just absorb yourself in the images that your mind naturally creates from the words…

Answer
10/19/17 8:50 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
https://youtu.be/jhMNMSP_99Q
The False Self

Researching these last books have been helpful to my practice in that I'm checking to see if I'm trying to avoid the impulses in my body in the practice. It questions what a true self is versus a false self. It's like the self is injuring itself based on the internal criticizer but we have to tap into the body so that meditation actually talks to the self-impulses in the body, instead of a ruminating self based on an unrealstic ideal, and then we have to parent ourselves to get that independent feeling of self-love that isn't narcissistic or co-dependent. Tricky balance.

Answer
10/22/17 1:02 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Meditation and Chronic Pain

https://youtu.be/Zz94iw8ElKY

This was fun to research as I had a headache from sleeping the wrong way and I put attention on it to relieve the solidity of the pain down to vibrations, and there was some good relief. It shows the value of locking your attention on detail so you can increase pleasant perceptions to replace contractions on the difficulties. It also is a reminder that we need to be controlling and creating our happiness instead of waiting for the environment to do that for us.

Answer
11/1/17 8:09 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Narcissistic Control

https://youtu.be/FU2QdxwVCuQ

This was hard to do because Narcissism is a part of our culture and Sam Vaknin says that it's an adaptation that works well for the world we are in, yet the heart chakra is dead in them. A recent bump into a Narcissist confirmed that hollow emptiness feeling. They are like dead bodies looking to drain you. When you try to talk to that inner child of theirs it's like talking to a dead body.

The last in the series will be even harder if it's considered mostly incurable. It now seems apparent that narcissism and the pathologcial envy it puts out, can take over institutions and regimes like dictatorships. It's more understandable and any left-wing or right-wing opinions are just the narcissist's way of telling you what to hear so they can take power, because it's all the same in the end for them. Addictive power and control and predatory extrinsic motivation, that's what they want. Without checks and balances they would look at moral rules as jokes.

Anyways, food for thought.

Lots of links to books in this one including some fiction books that look at power and control.

Answer
11/2/17 9:17 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
It now seems apparent that narcissism and the pathologcial envy it puts out, can take over institutions and regimes like dictatorships.
Here's a suggested addition to your reading list: 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1897244258/

Answer
11/2/17 1:01 PM as a reply to Ward Law.
emoticon It's already on the list.

Answer
11/15/17 7:43 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
https://youtu.be/UtMADd7ImZ0
Identity and 5 methods for authentic change

This was a Thank You to my 1st 50 subscribers that turned into a longer video about Identity and change. Enjoy!

Answer
11/27/17 11:12 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Just as promised the last part on the series on Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

Treatment of Narcissistic Personality Disorder - Various Authors (Part 4 of 4)

https://youtu.be/a5rk8PrA1sY

In the beginning we looked at Freud’s contributions from On Narcissism, where we see a self-love aimed at an ego-ideal which makes all important people in the narcissist’s life a means to an end. Achieving the ego ideal. As the child grows up the true self is never developed and a mask used for the public is identified with, which is the False Self. As the False self is challenged in a competitive ruthless environment, the narcissist learns from trial and error how to use politics and leverage to get his or her way. So far we have looked at how inhuman the narcissist is. The robotic quality and lack of empathy, but the narcissist is a person. When someone is far away from the narcissist they can feel sorry for their bad childhood, but when you are a victim it is impossible.

Answer
12/17/17 11:35 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
https://youtu.be/GCxtgwoJmbc
Dependent Co-arising

Hello, Merry Christmas, or Merry Buddha-mas!

Here's my video review of Dependent Co-arising with books authored by Bhkkhu Bodhi, Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Darryl Bailey, and Ajahn Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

This one took a long time, but it helped me to understand Becoming, Birth, and Aging and Death better. Fabrications also makes more sense now. I can understand how people need some basic psychotherapy and practices in manners and improved behaviour, just so they can quiet their mind down enough to have strong concentration.

Enjoy!

Answer
12/26/17 11:37 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
https://youtu.be/KnsNKpTzaIk
5 tips for Healing Faster from Narcissistic Abuse

I just finished a Narcissist Personality Disorder series, but I felt that there was something missing, which is help for the victim. Once victims have had their sense of self conditioned out of them, they have to rebuild it again in order to recover fully. There are lots of trap doors that slow down the healing process. Here are 5 tips for healing faster from Narcissistic Abuse.

1. Change your environment
2. Deal with Shame
3. Manage your anger
4. See your projections
5. Look at your cultural influences

Right now I'm working on Analayo's books and trying to find a story thread to carry the amount of detail that would make it worth it. At that point I want to continue with Freud, Adler, Jung etc and come back to more Buddhist research on the differences between Theravada and Mahayana.

Have a Happy New Year!

Answer
1/7/18 3:14 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This is my 1st part in a four part series of Freud. It's nice to now leave behind the 1800's and move into the 20th century as the psychological methods become more and more interesting.

https://youtu.be/vATDWOYuyWw
Studies in Hysteria - Freud and Breuer

Answer
1/7/18 9:51 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Thanks for the video.  I like the production values in it!

I have often thought that what happens in my mind as I sit is freudian free association.  My practice has been to just let the nervous system wind down and it seems to follow along my primitive understanding of both free association and catharthis.  Narratives arise, if I let them they run their course and dissapear and then I get a big release of nervous tension.  As this tension level decreases, happiness is more readily available and I act on emotional triggers less often.  Does that match your own experience/expectations at all?  

I also have the profound experiences of oneness and pleasure that seem to lie beyond the neurotic narrative mind.  Is this the realm of Jung and William James, or did Freud write about it as well? 

Answer
1/7/18 10:29 PM as a reply to seth tapper.
seth tapper:
Thanks for the video.  I like the production values in it!

I have often thought that what happens in my mind as I sit is freudian free association.  My practice has been to just let the nervous system wind down and it seems to follow along my primitive understanding of both free association and catharthis.  Narratives arise, if I let them they run their course and dissapear and then I get a big release of nervous tension.  As this tension level decreases, happiness is more readily available and I act on emotional triggers less often.  Does that match your own experience/expectations at all?  

I also have the profound experiences of oneness and pleasure that seem to lie beyond the neurotic narrative mind.  Is this the realm of Jung and William James, or did Freud write about it as well? 
I'm just learning myself right now. I would say that Freud looks at the ideas popping up as related to survival (the pleasure principle) and aggression that comes up in response to frustrated desires (death instinct). Jung would look at dreams as pushing you towards individuation (my particular path) and that is about developing skills you've neglected thus far. This is of course related to survival. There are so many choices. You can develop concentration so the mind doesn't go all monkey mind on you in the meditative path. You can have the different voices in the dream have their say and see if there's something you can act on to make your life feel more whole. 

For me, it is interesting that our thoughts can make us react emotionally, as much if not more, than real experiences. What you think about affects how you feel and then how you act. Learning to control our consciousness is where our standard of living is, if I'm paraphrasing Mihalyi Csikszentmihalyi correctly. 

For me right now it would be Jung's individuation mixed with the self-discipline of Buddhism. You want to achieve goals but you don't want to go after every dream strand in your mind. Certain goals are at the right level for us.

Answer
1/11/18 3:53 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
howdy Richard,
i've been away from the forum for a while but am re-engaging with my developmental intentions and came across your channel.

excellent excellent work, thank you!

Answer
1/12/18 12:11 AM as a reply to tom moylan.
Thank you. This site and Personality Cafe have been very encouraging. I appreciate it.

I've started a new website and I hope I can start blogging soon. I need to take some Gotham NY writing courses so I can get the lay of the land for the different types of internet non-fiction writing. I know my transitions right now are based on chapter stops. LOL!

https://richard-bukowski.mykajabi.com/

Of course I'll be writing some books. This is an expensive website, so I may have to move it to a cheaper Blogger option at some point. I found a local artist that is interested in doing a cover and just came out with her book:

https://www.daffodilartcollective.com/projects.html
Fable Me

I also clarified my channel's 3 strands and have 3 intros for each video. The Psychology, Contemplative Practice, and Philosophy videos from now on will have separate intros and slightly different aims, but they dovetail on topics like what the self is.

https://youtu.be/EbksQiBTXDo
Psych Reviews - Intros

Hopefully I can get at least a book out in 2018 or lots of videos going further beyond ancient times. At some point I'm going to have to look at my meditation log and see what could be included in a book, if it's interesting enough.

Richard

Answer
1/20/18 4:19 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Okay I switched to Wordpress. It took some getting used to, but I like the result better with this Kalium template.

I'll be finally getting back to my Freud series.

http://psychreviews.org/

Let me know if there are any technical difficulties.

Answer
2/4/18 10:47 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's a more in depth look at Flow psychology. 

http://psychreviews.org/flow-in-7-steps-mihaly-csikszentmihalyi/

YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpeIf8Zcriw

Part 2 of Freud is taking some time, but I hope to find a story to thread all these ideas that he puts into his topography of The Mental Apparatus. 

Enjoy!

Answer
2/10/18 12:13 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
I thought it would make sense to describe my initial attitudes towards meditation and how I got into it in the first place. It shows how far I've come and also much further there is to go. There was a time I didn't believe Jhana was a thing at all. Right now going from 4th jhana to 5th is like a big wall, but having those 4 is still a good refuge.

Video:

https://youtu.be/pBAtA2waS0M

Blog:

http://psychreviews.org/jhana/

Answer
2/15/18 1:30 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's Part 2 of the Freud series.

The Psychical Apparatus

https://youtu.be/B3AwOT9zWgY

Blog:

http://psychreviews.org/the-psychical-apparatus-sigmund-freud/

Answer
2/23/18 8:59 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's my 1st philosophy section video: Bigotry (Envy Part 1)

Blog:
http://psychreviews.org/bigotry-envy-part-1/

Video:
https://youtu.be/MKYBXQLLmqM

Answer
3/7/18 1:01 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Hi guys,

This is my review of the Freud classic Totem and Taboo. Despite so much legitimate criticism of Freud there's a lot of good stuff in his books and I can tell that I'll be able to use it as a foundation to understand later clinicians and thinkers.

Totem & Taboo - Sigmund Freud (Envy Part 2)

Psych Reviews blog:

http://psychreviews.org/totem-taboo-sigmund-freud-envy-part-2/

YouTube:

https://youtu.be/aYsiu4v9N6Y

Answer
3/10/18 5:58 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
I just want to thank you guys for the support for my blog and channel. I just touched on the 1st 100 subscribers. This video is just a call out for book recommendations on any of the three strands of Psychology, Contemplative Practice, and Philosophy.

https://youtu.be/zewG5JNkKOA
Your book recommendations

Answer
3/14/18 4:00 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Do review on The Mind Illuminated.

Answer
3/17/18 6:00 PM as a reply to Mathew Poskus.
Great choice!

Answer
3/17/18 6:02 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This was a little exhausting but I finished my interviews with both female and male victims of Narcissistic Abuse. Here are the two blog entries:

http://psychreviews.org/male-victims-of-narcissistic-abuse/
Men

http://psychreviews.org/victims-narcissistic-abuse/
Women

Answer
3/18/18 11:00 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.

Answer
4/6/18 11:17 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
If there's one area where I find the difference in older and newer traditions of Buddhism is the emphasis on appropriate effort as a part of the practice. This is emphasized in Analayo's Direct Path book.

https://youtu.be/QSA3LznHNQs
Satipatthana The Direct Path to Realization

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/satipatthana-the-direct-path-to-realization-bhikkhu-analayo/

Answer
4/11/18 9:39 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
For those who are interested in Analayo, there is a tentative book date of Oct 2018 for a Satipatthana Practice Guide. They are asking for donations now, but I'm sure they'll find the money:

To sponsor:

https://www.windhorsepublications.com/product/sponsor-apracticeguide/

Preorder:

https://www.amazon.com/Satipatthana-Meditation-Practice-Guide-Analayo/dp/1911407104/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Answer
4/13/18 1:22 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This is the end of a trilogy of interviews on narcissistic abuse.

http://psychreviews.org/lgbtiqa-victims-of-narcissistic-abuse/

Answer
4/15/18 2:12 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
I just cleaned up my first psychology review of Beverly Engel's - Breaking the cycle of abuse. There's also a good link in the video description and blog that has a chock full of insights on the cycle and how it moves from one generation to another via pathological shame.

Breaking the Cycle of Abuse - Beverly Engel

https://youtu.be/PR21xlDFrGw

Blog:

http://psychreviews.org/breaking-the-cycle-of-abuse-beverly-engel/

Answer
4/21/18 10:33 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here is a combination of psychology and meditation insights mixed together. His book alerted me to how unrealistic it would be to do mental work without some strain. Some strain is avoidable with meditation practices, but it is not completely avoidable.

Attention and Effort - Daniel Kahneman

Blog: 

http://psychreviews.org/attention-and-effort-daniel-kahneman/

Video:

https://youtu.be/z_6u4EUyTVM

Answer
4/26/18 5:47 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Hi Richard, wouldn't be good and helpful to make a video on Dark Night?

Answer
4/26/18 1:13 PM as a reply to Mathew Poskus.
Mathew Poskus:
Hi Richard, wouldn't be good and helpful to make a video on Dark Night?

It is definitely a good idea, but I want to study addiction and withdrawal symptoms to make comparisons. In my experience the Dark Night is mental resistance to maintain addictive behaviour. The brain is getting scared as a survival resistance, but there are many explanations. Freud talks about Cathexis, Mourning and Melancholia. It's probably going to be a highly complex topic as per usual. 

Answer
5/17/18 1:37 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Just a heads up! I'm finishing a long video on Spiritual Bypassing. It should be out this Friday. I hope to put a light on meditation and disconnection and how it can be the same disconnection as with any other external numbing with addictions or other activities. 

Answer
5/18/18 2:03 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Spiritual Bypassing and Inner Bonding - Margaret Paul

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/spiritual-bypassing-and-inner-bonding/

Video: https://youtu.be/JVrkwqUdKE8

Have fun Bonding, instead of Bypassing.

What I find interesting, is that meditation can aid connection with the self, by allowing a dialogue with feelings, but also the self can be relaxed in the typical way of meditation. Both options are available. 

Answer
5/21/18 7:41 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's a guided meditation for good measure on Inner Bonding:

http://psychreviews.org/inner-bonding-guided-meditation/

RE: My YouTube Channel
Answer
5/28/18 1:54 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
June 1st is World Narcissistic Abuse Awareness Day. Despite this being a popular topic, a lot of people still don't believe in this disorder and think these people in their lives are just jerks. Compared to other posts I focused more on childhood influences and some of the popular topics like duping delight and gaslighting.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/world-narcissistic-abuse-awareness-day-june-1st/

Video: https://youtu.be/7_C-P28w058

Answer
5/28/18 3:44 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Hi Richard good videos, good work, good resources and information. keep going with this high quality content in youtube emoticon

Answer
5/28/18 8:14 AM as a reply to Jordi.
Jordi:
Hi Richard good videos, good work, good resources and information. keep going with this high quality content in youtube emoticon

Thanks for the support!

Answer
5/28/18 8:50 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Richard Zen:

What I find interesting, is that meditation can aid connection with the self, by allowing a dialogue with feelings, but also the self can be relaxed in the typical way of meditation. Both options are available. 

Hey Richard, seconding in appreciation for your videos and blog posts. Found this one particularly interesting, in that I can see in myself how I've at times used meditation to do bypassing. Same for your other posts in another thread I saw here about developing a good relationship with oneself and Rob Burbea's imaginal work.

It inspired me to take out Rob's book Seeing that Frees and look into more of his Dhamma talks on the topic. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on how his approach to Imaginal relates to Jung, do you see it as a similar thing in Dharma framework or a separate developmental process?

Answer
5/28/18 1:00 PM as a reply to Andrew S.
Andrew S:
Richard Zen:

Hey Richard, seconding in appreciation for your videos and blog posts. Found this one particularly interesting, in that I can see in myself how I've at times used meditation to do bypassing. Same for your other posts in another thread I saw here about developing a good relationship with oneself and Rob Burbea's imaginal work.

It inspired me to take out Rob's book Seeing that Frees and look into more of his Dhamma talks on the topic. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on how his approach to Imaginal relates to Jung, do you see it as a similar thing in Dharma framework or a separate developmental process?
It looks like he's trying a different process from Theravada Buddhism and Jung. With Jung you are trying to balance yourself with the perspectives of the different archetypes and take action on it. I'm still working on Burbea's earlier imaginal practices because I want to be sure that I'm doing them properly. Otherwise I can't say that I understand his new process. Right now it just looks like allowing the desire to go where it wants (without acting on it) until it finds something satisfying in the imagination. 

These are extremely difficult skills to learn and even Inner Bonding yields lots of insights, despite how simple it is. For example, putting attention on the body and just seeing how satisfied it is and realizing that it is satisfied, and then going back into disembodied thoughts and finding dissatisfaction and addictiveness there. Internal and external motivation is connected with this and I can see how many areas of psychology will overlap here.

I think it's choice and results ultimately. If it works for you and you feel more and more satisfied then you should listen to that.

Answer
6/23/18 4:39 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.

Answer
7/3/18 9:02 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.

Answer
7/14/18 11:47 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.

Answer
7/26/18 12:11 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Thought and Meditation - Rob Burbea

The mindfulness of measuring has been helpful. It cooled my brain just a little bit. Every bit helps.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/thought-and-meditation/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/oRM40U46EXI

Answer
8/12/18 10:59 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's a refurbishment of a prior video on Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams to account for the fact that this series is going to be longer than I thought since Freud ideas developed in a scattered way across many books and papers.  

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/dreams-sigmund-freud/

YouTube: http://youtu.be/dIxp32W5ris

Answer
9/2/18 12:00 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This was a refreshing challenge on the debate between Determinism and Free will. Later developments on the topic in the 20th century would go into areas where determinism creates the free will we have, but in the meantime these types of thoughts feel a lot like a mindfulness meditation.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/the-psychopathology-of-everyday-life-sigmund-freud/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/oIc_h2tub5M

Answer
9/13/18 11:09 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Freud's theory on Humour and Jokes:

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/humour-sigmund-freud/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/4vHj7aVUQHU

Answer
9/29/18 6:53 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This was a long review of Freud's sexual theories, and only part 1. A huge part of it was about early theories of sexual orientation. Some of the ideas were funny due to contradictions, but it was only 1905.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/sexuality-aberrations-sigmund-freud/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/bYI5Fty3Txg

Answer
10/10/18 7:24 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Part two of Freud's basic theories on sexuality: Infantile Sexuality. One gets the sense that a parent's influence can last an entire lifetime.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/sexuality-part-2-infantile-sexuality-sigmund-freud/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/fo_Qn96acj8

Answer
10/20/18 6:12 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This post took a lot of listening to complete, but it was enjoyable to listen to the hardcore practice of Thanissaro Bhikkhu. He has a sense of humour that's all his own, but it's a humour that reminds us of death.

Emotional Feeding - Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/emotional-feeding/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/EDgyAPyTM-0

Answer
10/24/18 1:15 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
I just listened to & enjoyed this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9VjWDy4g6U.  Good audio & slideshow timing/selection.

Answer
10/24/18 12:53 PM as a reply to Noah D.
Thanks!

Answer
10/25/18 7:10 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
The description of stage 10 was funny.  Just the overall "sainthood model" presentation from the book (which I am a fan of) + your calm recitation of it.  I couldn't help but picure the arahant being carried around on a palanquin with an "alzheimer's smile" as I've heard one teacher put it....  

Answer
10/28/18 12:56 AM as a reply to Noah D.
Noah D:
The description of stage 10 was funny.  Just the overall "sainthood model" presentation from the book (which I am a fan of) + your calm recitation of it.  I couldn't help but picure the arahant being carried around on a palanquin with an "alzheimer's smile" as I've heard one teacher put it....  

I would be a little skeptical of these things, partly because these saints live in a protected environment. I don't think it's possible to be like this and live in, let's say New York, as a stock broker and do this lifestyle. Or to do a fast paced job with heavy mental computation pushing you to burnout, and still be an arahant. 

Next...just because someone says they are at a stage isn't the same thing as doing actual scientific trials and tests to prove it to others. We just have to take their word for it. I would just treat it as a goal or target, and we can appreciate the improvements we get from our subjective experience.

A great documentary that came out recently would help support what I'm talking about is Free Solo. It's about Alex Honnold who did a free solo climb up El Capitan. They tested his amygdala and found it very non-reactive, explaining his fearlessness. Yet when he got a girlfriend, and had cameras watching him, his internal motivation turned to external motivation which started to drain him. He convincingly shows the need for preparation on hard goals that are watched by others as the key to success. When something is so over-prepared it becomes easy. Then the external motivation stress reduces. People can do this without meditation, though meditation would help. Overpreparation is more important with difficult goals. We usually don't stress or worry about things we are skilled at (Self-Efficacy).

Most meditators are probably more reactive to fear than he is, so you can count them out as "unsurpassable." It's a nice goal, and being closer to unsurpassable and farther away from suicide, depression, etc. is worth the effort. Stuff like Shinzen talking about being tortured by terrorists and using his meditation to counter that pain is laughable and shows naivete, or hubris.

Reducing, or even curing depression is impressive enough as it is. No need to be a superhero.

Answer
11/4/18 2:17 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This is the first installment of Greek Philosophy. Even though Thales is more of a legend, there's a lot that can be learned about rational thinking vs. mythical thinking.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/the-presocratics-thales/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/4HJswRzqM2Y

Answer
11/6/18 10:55 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Cool! Funny thing is that I stumbled on your channel a while back but didn't know it was yours. Good stuff man.

Answer
11/7/18 8:28 PM as a reply to ivory.
ivory:
Cool! Funny thing is that I stumbled on your channel a while back but didn't know it was yours. Good stuff man.

Thanks!

Answer
12/18/18 11:25 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's my first case study, Freud's analysis of "Dora". I put everything but the kitchen sink into this one. It will be nice to take a break!

It includes insights in Transference, Countertransference, Bigotry, Sexism, Projection, Mental Peace, Meaning in life, and probably a lot more. LOL!

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/case-studies-dora-sigmund-freud/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/vAh-cql2DCQ

Answer
12/29/18 5:55 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Upgrade your New Year's Day resolutions, or Any Day resolutions, with this Guided Meditation. Happy New Year!

YouTube: https://youtu.be/Sdoj1XyB9bI

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/emotional-feeding-guided-meditation/

Answer
12/29/18 10:16 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Oh, that’s you? Cool. I’m already following your channel. :-)

Answer
1/26/19 3:07 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's a review on Freud's Pleasure Principle. It provides a good description of neurosis and how we can turn away from reality.

YouTube: https://youtu.be/0UR4hkbKsJ0

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/the-pleasure-principle-sigmund-freud/

Answer
2/23/19 5:25 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
New video on the internal commentator. It's mostly in the Advaita Vedanta style, but that's a good place to start and end for most people. emoticonHappy insights! 

The Commentator:

Blog:

http://psychreviews.org/the-commentator/

YouTube:

https://youtu.be/auejzRGMa9s

Answer
3/17/19 12:29 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This is the next installment of the Presocratics. Anaximander struggles to find a way to move beyond Thales assertion that water is the origin of the world. There's also commentary from Nietzsche and Heidegger, including some Heideggarian meditation methods that should look eeriely familiar. Have a good Sunday!

YouTube: https://youtu.be/QFNze3P_CIU

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/the-presocratics-anaximander/

Answer
5/4/19 9:36 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
World Narcissistic Abuse Awareness Day is upon us soon (June 1st).

Please sign up for your free telesummit: 
https://wnaad.com/

Here's my contribution on the clinging psychology of Stalking, which unfortunately many people have to go through.

This is what people don't tell you about when you want to pursue success.

YouTube: https://youtu.be/IhNDMX0s46w

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/stalking/

Practice well!

Answer
5/4/19 3:38 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Listening to recent vid - This is super interesting , you’re synthesizing a lot of ideas.  Thanks.

Answer
5/4/19 3:46 PM as a reply to Noah D.
It's my INFP brain. It wants to know WHY so I sift through a lot of material. emoticon

Answer
5/11/19 3:50 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's a brief review of Freud's theory of Sublimation. It's a defense mechanism, but it can be more than that with the likes of Leonardo Da Vinci. What I noticed is that much of any pleasure is a relief from pain. Pain is required so that the relief of pleasure can be enjoyed. This is a subtle pain though, not a car accident. This is similar to the Opponent-Process Theory that measures excitement and boredom. It is also like Csikszentmihalyi's Flow. It can also be found in meditative Jhanas, where the progressive Jhanas involve less pain and more refined peace.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/sublimation-sigmund-freud/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/dcht85_CLGo

Answer
5/15/19 11:17 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This is a guided meditation inspired by Thanissaro Bhikkhu's talks on Emotional Feeding. It's also tangentially inspired by the recent Sublimation video. It includes grey noise and text.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/emotional-feeding-guided-meditation-2/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/w8EqmDPQlPg

Answer
6/24/19 12:09 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
One of the most analyzed psychology cases is that of Daniel Paul Schreber. Included in this analysis are the subjects of Schizophrenia, Paranoia, sexual fluidity, projection, and parenting methods. Of interest to meditators is that concentration in hobbies and interests can quiet the mental voices somewhat, but it's obviously a biological problem that can't be cured as of yet.

Blog: 
http://psychreviews.org/case-studies-daniel-schreber/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/MF_bD7G-lhU

Answer
7/12/19 2:28 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's a video on many ways one can motivate themselves to get started and why they should try. It includes Freud, Play Psychology, Intrinsic Motivation, High Performance research, and a strong attempt at Heideggerian meditations of Gifting, Thanking, and Love. Enjoy!

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/how-to-motivate-yourself/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/TliZGrddzsA

Answer
8/10/19 10:31 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Childhood phobias, triggers, and the danger of brainwashing. 'Little Hans' and Freud. For meditators you can start to see an early map of mental objects of imitated people in our minds, which is a great place to start relaxing those negative faces and personalities that are imitated into the mind.

Blog: 
http://psychreviews.org/case-studies-little-hans-sigmund-freud/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/pD0BdzAduK0

Answer
8/15/19 1:18 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Improving concentration with lots of advice from Gangaji, Pema Chödrön, Leonard Jacobson, Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Amy Aubry, Georgi Y Johnson, Renate McNay, Mariana Caplan and Rob Burbea. It's also a recap of a lot of my recent videos. It's heavy on Mahayana styles for those who care.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/improving-concentration/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/33_b8yKWTFs

Answer
8/18/19 5:20 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Quick tip on Dukkha: https://youtu.be/9kAlGO7Dwls

Answer
9/20/19 3:00 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Here's my response to the allegations against Culadasa from Dharma Treasure regarding sexual misconduct. Though it goes way beyond that! 

YouTube:

https://youtu.be/w9LrDvM2rXQ

Blog:

http://psychreviews.org/scandal-ambivalence-hypocrisy-and-culture/

Answer
9/25/19 2:40 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This is a phenomenological study on how Cults work and what to look for when they are influencing you. Like a virus, Cults create fronts to disguise their exploitative agendas. After this video, you'll be able to detect them, even if they are operating in legal operations.

Blog: http://psychreviews.org/cult-psychology/

YouTube: https://youtu.be/ywWQLOar5Bo

Answer
10/19/19 12:37 PM as a reply to Richard Zen.
This is a review of Freud's 'Ratman,' Ernst Lanzer. It focuses on Transference therapy and the roles of emotional triggers, displacement, projection, and perception in our lives. If you have a meditation practice, try to see if you can catch your emotional triggers, relax the reactions, and accept yourself.

Blog: 
http://psychreviews.org/case-studies-rat-man-sigmund-freud/

YouTube: 
https://youtu.be/GdgOgnUv8LU