Progressive muscle relaxation

thumbnail
Chris Bayes, modified 13 Years ago at 7/29/10 2:43 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 7/29/10 2:40 AM

Progressive muscle relaxation

I'm not sure where I should have posted this question but I was wondering if anyone had tried ' Progressive muscle relaxation'?
It seems to primarily be used to combat stress although I came across the technique on a Magick web site which spoke of its benefits as a preparation for 'Inhibitory Gnosis' and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with it regarding meditation?

Here is a description of the technique for any one who may be interested:
http://www.twilightbridge.com/stress/complete/16pmr.htm

Chris
thumbnail
Julius P0pp, modified 13 Years ago at 7/29/10 3:26 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 7/29/10 3:26 PM

RE: Progressive muscle relaxation

I didn't use this technique, but my first regular practice was lying on my back and relaxing. From my experience, this can be your meditation, you can cultivate all you need (for insight) while relaxing: concentration, tranquility, and clarity. And it can be very pleasant.
If it suits you, make it a daily practice and record the results for a few months. A friend prescribed it for me at a time where I had a very active mind, so it complemented my personality extremely well and helped my psychological development as well. If you're more the lazy guy, I'd probably opt for a more active practice. Or try a mixture of both, you'll find good instructions on the energy portal of the wiki (body through art), that stuff done well is also relaxing and refreshing and releases tension/blockages.
Whatever you want to try out, try it at least for 2-6 months, relaxation and concentration need patience to develop, but it's worth it, and you can train them at the same time.
Crazy Wisdom, modified 13 Years ago at 8/1/10 4:31 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/1/10 4:31 PM

HVa a look at yoga nidra. It includes this and more and is a great practice in many ways.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 8/7/10 9:05 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/7/10 9:05 PM

At this hippy Quaker school I attended, on of my 4th grade electives was a course called "Close Encounters" and they taught us that method but with visualizing golden light flowing in when we relaxed. I liked it and found it very nice, and so that was my start into meditation using technique, and I used that technique some before I crossed the A&P the first time accidentally. I like it.
thumbnail
Chris Bayes, modified 13 Years ago at 8/9/10 9:47 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/9/10 9:47 AM

Yeah the post I was reading that suggested this technique also mentioned the golden light thing. I have being experimenting with PMR and the golden light visualisation this last week before every meditation and I would definitely recommend it. Although I would watch out if any one tries this when they are already a little on the tired side. Its just so dammed relaxing (Zzz..zz..zz...)!
thumbnail
Chris G, modified 12 Years ago at 1/21/12 7:46 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 1/21/12 7:45 PM

I've done this. It's definitely a reliable way to really relax the body and mind. Tensing muscles before relaxing them, and focusing on the difference between the relaxed feeling and tense feeling, is certainly more effective for me than just relaxing them. It does make me sleepy though, so I don't do it regularly.

Breadcrumb