caste

thumbnail
Steve Katona, modified 6 Years ago at 9/16/17 2:59 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/16/17 2:59 PM

caste

Please help. There are a couple of lines of energy in the sangha I practice with that are encouraging division and 'us and them' mentality. One is a subsangha of people of color (invitation only) and the other is a series of meetings to deal with whiteness (their word) as a source of prejudice and oppression to be cured with--what a surprise--mindfulness. It's really just extreme political correctness in a different coat.

I would appreciate direction to canonical material about the Buddha refusing to recognize caste or other forms of imaginary superior/inferior scaling of anyone once they have taken vows. I 'm sure it is there. I just can't remember where.

Thanks in advance for any help.
seth tapper, modified 6 Years ago at 9/16/17 3:19 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/16/17 3:14 PM

RE: caste

I would just let it go, if I were you.   What are your odds of making things "better" and not worse?  Just love everyone and keep practicing,  Easier said than done!    In my experience,  groups will like this usually die out after a bit on their own.  

I see that you are worried that they will reify the delusion of race and seperation, but that is so gross a delusion in view on the dharma of no self that I think practice alone will cure any reiification that occurs.  If people of color feel the need for mutual support, who is anyone to judge them?  If others see themselve as complicit in a racist culture and want to purge themselve of racial delusions, why not see that as courageous and merit worthy? 
Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 9/17/17 7:21 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/17/17 7:21 AM

seth tapper:
 I would just let it go, if I were you.   What are your odds of making things "better" and not worse?  Just love everyone and keep practicing,  Easier said than done!    In my experience,  groups will like this usually die out after a bit on their own.  

I see that you are worried that they will reify the delusion of race and seperation, but that is so gross a delusion in view on the dharma of no self that I think practice alone will cure any reiification that occurs.  If people of color feel the need for mutual support, who is anyone to judge them?  If others see themselve as complicit in a racist culture and want to purge themselve of racial delusions, why not see that as courageous and merit worthy? 

I agree with Seth. I am a 'yellow' monk and although I will never join such an endeavor, why not simply observe with absolute objectivity? Any form of mental judgement/division (e.g. for/against caste) should be investigated thoroughly for oneself instead of participating? If you decide to participate, having done the necessary investigations will endow you with what could be the 'right' actions...
thumbnail
Steve Katona, modified 6 Years ago at 9/17/17 9:13 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/17/17 9:13 AM

Please define: yellow monk.

Leaving this alone and letting it find its own manifestation seems wisest. All replies led to this. Gratitude.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 6 Years ago at 9/17/17 11:00 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/17/17 11:00 AM

JMHO, but what you also have here, Steve, is the opportunity this presents to examine your internal predispositions about the situation. You seem to be toubled by it. Why? I'd sit with that and look inward for insight.
Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 9/17/17 11:10 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/17/17 11:10 PM

Steve Katona:
Please define: yellow monk.

Leaving this alone and letting it find its own manifestation seems wisest. All replies led to this. Gratitude.

Yellow - Race: Chinese
Born/Nationality: Singapore

Coaching 2 caucasians (white) now from USA and Germany.

If colour comes into play, the blacks & whites fade... (truth becomes unclear) 
Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 9/18/17 5:13 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/18/17 5:13 AM

Paweł K:
Singapore... China... aren't those countries with IQ 108 and 105 respectively?
your kind have even less 'color' than mine
in US you are 'privileged' when comparing house income and other stats
in other words: last people who suffer discrimination =)

Hahaha I am not sure about the national averages, but I suspect Singaporeans might be lower than that? :p

Is US a hotbed for racial issues? The only experience I had: Was walking quietly alone in Boston one night and was almost assaulted by a big 'white' guy, presumably post-drinks.
thumbnail
Nicky, modified 6 Years ago at 9/18/17 6:02 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/18/17 5:58 AM

Steve Katona:

I would appreciate direction to canonical material about the Buddha refusing to recognize caste or other forms of imaginary superior/inferior scaling of anyone once they have taken vows. I 'm sure it is there. I just can't remember where.

Buddha recognised the castes in society but not in his Sangha. The quote you require is below: 

(4) Just as the mighty rivers on reaching the great ocean lose their former names and designations and are just reckoned as the great ocean; even so, when members of the four castes—nobles, brahmins, commoners and menials—go forth from home into the homeless life in this Dhamma and Discipline proclaimed by the Tathāgata, they lose their former names and lineage and are reckoned only as ascetics following the Son of the Sakyans. This is the fourth wonderful and marvellous quality in this Dhamma and Discipline….

https://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh208_Nyanaponika_Bodhi_Anguttara-Nikaya-Anthology--II.html#S48TheSimileoftheOcean

(4) “Just as, when the great rivers … reach the great ocean, they give up their former names and designations and are simply called the great ocean, so too, when members of the four social classes—khattiyas, brahmins, vessas, and suddas—go forth from the household life into homelessness in the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathāgata, they give up their former names and clans and are simply called ascetics following the Sakyan son. This is the fourth astounding and amazing quality that the bhikkhus see in this Dhamma and discipline….

https://suttacentral.net/en/an8.19