Collapsing Structure

thumbnail
David Starflower, modified 6 Years ago at 9/21/17 10:24 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/21/17 10:24 PM

Collapsing Structure

Hi everyone. By now I usually can cope with pain (e.g. of sitting) and also reflexes (e.g. swallowing). I do however have problems with collapsing structure; where my back slowly curves over time, my head drops forward, I might tilt sideways etc.

Trying to keep my attention on maintaining posture makes it almost to hard to focus on the breath and furthermore this attention is just as prone to getting lost than the main meditation object.

Even worse, when I did Goenka body scanning I noticed my head and eyes moving towards the scanned area worsening the problem.

Are there any recommendations on how to stabilise posture?
thumbnail
Rainbow, modified 6 Years ago at 9/21/17 11:53 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/21/17 11:53 PM

RE: Collapsing Structure

See this document, in particular the slouching section.

Even worse, when I did Goenka body scanning I noticed my head and eyes moving towards the scanned area worsening the problem.

Not noticing would be a bigger problem. Noticing it is good and is the first step in stopping it. Encourage yourself every time you do notice and afterwards practice scanning your attention while keeping the head still. Be patient with it.
thumbnail
Doctor Avocado, modified 6 Years ago at 9/22/17 1:09 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/22/17 1:09 AM

First idea would be to experiment. As in trying all the postures in Rainbow's document above and letting go of any particular way of sitting, some arrangements of cushions, even a chair if that fails.

Second idea would be to be gentle with yourself. Build up slowly and always stop prior to the point of discomfort rather than battlilng it. For instance setting a timer like: Day 1, 20 minutes perfect cushion posture + 40 mins on a chair. Day 2, 21 minutes perfect cushion posture, 39 mins on a chair, and so on. Also being gentle in not being annoyed that the posture has shifted.

Third idea would be staying conscious of posture throughout the entire day. If you sit a certain way at your computer, and a totally different way during meditation, your body will surely return to the strongest pattern. 

Fourth idea wouuld be specific strength training, but that's really a crude replacement for attention to posture throughout the day. 

Lastly, I think it's of quite low importance how you sit. Do whatever best supports your practise (ie best enhances concentration, clarity, equanimity) and allows you to sustain practise without developing aversion. If a posture is not resulting in those principles then find one that best does, for your individual body.  As you say, when attention gets drawn to pain/posture, it's difficult to stay on the main object. Stuff like pain is a worthwhile investigation sometimes but there's no benefit in enduring it long term. 
thumbnail
David Starflower, modified 6 Years ago at 9/24/17 4:45 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/24/17 4:45 PM

Thanks for your responses.

That document is golden!

I experimented with a lot of postures and found a comfy one, but it does not prevent me completely from collapsing. I am fine-tuning it though. But I can easily sit 1hr+ in it without aches and pains. Muscle should also be no problem for me. But the tip with checking in regularly throughout the day with my desk posture etc. is very good. Thanks. I also started sitting cross-legged on the floor at work for shorter amounts of time. Attention-getter in the office ;-)

Breadcrumb