Boring Meeting Practice

thumbnail
David Starflower, modified 6 Years ago at 10/5/17 11:27 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/5/17 11:27 PM

Boring Meeting Practice

Hi everyone,

I recently sat in a meeting I was formally required to be in, but neither had something to get from it nor to contribute. That made me remember the "if you wait in a queue or in an elevator, start watching your breath" or "meditation is everywhere" quotes.

What are small, few minute practices that you chuck into situation that present themselves?

Cheers
David
Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 10/6/17 1:59 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/6/17 1:59 AM

RE: Boring Meeting Practice

David Starflower:
Hi everyone,

I recently sat in a meeting I was formally required to be in, but neither had something to get from it nor to contribute. That made me remember the "if you wait in a queue or in an elevator, start watching your breath" or "meditation is everywhere" quotes.

What are small, few minute practices that you chuck into situation that present themselves?

Cheers
David
MCTB lists a few. I recommend going for the subtlest sensations that are available. Try breathing as subtle as you can and detect the whole breath body or practice scanning.
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 6 Years ago at 10/6/17 5:58 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/6/17 5:56 PM

I'm always reminding my students that when they are bored during meditation that means they are thinking. This same point makes a great reminder at any point during the day that you COULD be doing what you are doing/not doing without thinking/boredom instead. Instant liberation from suffering!
thumbnail
David Starflower, modified 6 Years ago at 10/8/17 3:08 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/8/17 3:08 AM

Very true, that indeed is a wake up call. Thanks for that!
thumbnail
David Starflower, modified 6 Years ago at 10/19/17 9:42 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/19/17 9:42 PM

A nice read on the topic of meditation in daily life with reference to some Shinzen Young techniques: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMindIlluminated/comments/76krtx/need_tips_to_meditate_in_life/
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 6 Years ago at 10/19/17 10:19 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/19/17 10:19 PM

Personally I think it's best to note what's happening since most meditation halls would be boring as well, except for the noting practice that is keeping you from boredom. Really try to listen to what the person is saying and make a game of trying to understand as clearly as possible what is being communicated. It's hard but someone might ask you a question and you don't want to be caught day-dreaming. 
Matt, modified 6 Years ago at 10/20/17 6:50 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/20/17 6:49 AM

David Starflower:
...What are small, few minute practices that you chuck into situation that present themselves?
If the words spoken are truly unimportant to me in the practical sense, I'd task myself to let each word slip into my mind unhindered, and then I'd practice noticng when any given word or sentence kicked off a discursive line of thought that blocks absorbtion of the next word, say "ding" to myself and get back into the unhindered mode.
Robin Woods, modified 6 Years ago at 10/20/17 8:13 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/20/17 8:13 AM

I just came up with one recently 'cos I wanted to test out Shinzen's 'note gone' technique and see if it's really all it's cracked up to be...

In a bus/train/car/bed, put your hand over your mouth so you can feel the warm outbreath. Every time the outbreath/warmth ends - note it as 'gone'. 

I've found this amazingly concentrating recently but not sure if it's just the novelty which is making it captivating...

Breadcrumb