Is this method legit?

Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 3:34 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 3:34 AM

Is this method legit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfqLdOgoB98

He claims that this form of questioning (What is awareness? Who am I?) is the fastest way to enlightenment. 

Is this 'better' or 'faster' than 'normal' meditation? Will it be beneficial to combine it with meditation (Zen or 3C) or separate sessions dedicated to each? I use this sometimes, but it is not a major part of my practice, just wondering what switching to this, will yield...

Thanks for reading!
An Eternal Now, modified 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 4:30 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 4:25 AM

RE: Is this method legit?

Hi,

this is is a somewhat different path from Vipassana. If you practice self inquiry you should progress through these stages as my teacher Thusness wrote (also similar to my own progression): http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.sg/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

In this path you realise directly the luminosity, the pure Presence, Awareness first. But awareness is initially reified as the Witness, then the Witness collapse into a single undivided field but still feels independent and unchanging, then eventually Anatta, 3C comes in and the transience, the reflection is realised to be the mirror (instead of standing back as if the mirror mind is a background or even abiding as a changeless mirror ‘unified’ with transient reflections which is non dual but still not anatta), then progress into D.O. And empty clarity.

If you practice MCTB, the luminosity aspect comes only later at 3rd and 4th path but is quickly transformed into direct anatta sort of non dual luminosity due to heavy emphasis on 3C and Bahiya Sutta style pointer on anatta so not much danger of reification. Dzogchen, Zen, Advaita, Thusness stages etc starts with luminosity first and slowly refines.

It depends on your inclinations. I am more inclined towards the direct path that stresses realising the luminosity or mirror bright consciousness or pure presence from the start. But it is not without dangers and without guidance and right view one can be stuck reifying awareness for a Long time

As Thusness wrote in DhO in 2009:

“Hi Gary,

It appears that there are two groups of practitioners in this forum, one adopting the gradual approach and the other, the direct path. I am quite new here so I may be wrong.

My take is that you are adopting a gradual approach yet you are experiencing something very significant in the direct path, that is, the ‘Watcher’. As what Kenneth said, “You're onto something very big here, Gary. This practice will set you free.” But what Kenneth said would require you to be awaken to this ‘I’. It requires you to have the ‘eureka!’ sort of realization. Awaken to this ‘I’, the path of spirituality becomes clear; it is simply the unfolding of this ‘I’.

On the other hand, what that is described by Yabaxoule is a gradual approach and therefore there is downplaying of the ‘I AM’. You have to gauge your own conditions, if you choose the direct path, you cannot downplay this ‘I’; contrary, you must fully and completely experience the whole of ‘YOU’ as ‘Existence’. Emptiness nature of our pristine nature will step in for the direct path practitioners when they come face to face to the ‘traceless’, ‘centerless’ and ‘effortless’ nature of non-dual awareness.

Perhaps a little on where the two approaches meet will be of help to you.’

P.s. I’m from Singapore too 
Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 4:46 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 4:46 AM

An Eternal Now:

Perhaps a little on where the two approaches meet will be of help to you.’

P.s. I’m from Singapore too 

Yes, hello! I have read your blog and that link (very interesting!), FYI your link to download this file does not work. (http://www.box.net/shared/3verpiao63) 

I think I am in between 1st/2nd path, banging around in review and path to 2P (it seems like I am constantly hopping around them) so am exploring this 'direct' method. Will it be detrimental to dedicate time to practice both?

Thank you very much! emoticon
An Eternal Now, modified 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 5:37 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 5:37 AM

Hi Yilun,
i dont think it will be detrimental if you have time to practice both.
When inquiring who am I just focus on finding out what I AM even before thinking. But don’t go into deconstruction mode or investigate 3c
When doing vipassana then just do vipassana
thanks for informing about the link
Daniel Slaney, modified 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 9:13 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 9:13 AM

Yilun Ong:
Will it be beneficial to combine it with meditation (Zen or 3C) or separate sessions dedicated to each? [...]

Zen has a major form of practise based on similar ideas. It's called Hua tou in Chinese, Wato in Japanaese and Hwadu in Korean.

Not very common in the West but it's very prominent in Chinese Zen (Chan) and Korean Zen (Seon).
An Eternal Now, modified 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 11:29 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/24/17 11:24 AM

Daniel Slaney:
Yilun Ong:
Will it be beneficial to combine it with meditation (Zen or 3C) or separate sessions dedicated to each? [...]

Zen has a major form of practise based on similar ideas. It's called Hua tou in Chinese, Wato in Japanaese and Hwadu in Korean.

Not very common in the West but it's very prominent in Chinese Zen (Chan) and Korean Zen (Seon).
Yes, for example Chan master Hsu Yun is a major proponent of self inquiry or Hua tou in Chinese China buddhism

also zen master Seung Sahn and his school teaches student to contemplate on who am I? And many other Zen Teachers as well.

in Dzogchen self inquiry is found in the rushan teachings, the separation of samsara from nirvana. Also in Dzogchen master Namkhai Norbu Rinpoches teaching, self inquiry is integrated into their main practice of guru yoga.

‘We sound another A and from that moment we are no longer working with visualization, thinking, or judging, but are only being in that presence. In particular, we notice who is doing this visualization, who is being in this white A at the center of the gakhyil. We are not looking at something in a dualistic way; we are being in that state, and that is instant presence and our real condition.’

Breadcrumb