Interested in Joining a Dharma Overground Book Club?

thumbnail
Alan Smithee, modified 6 Years ago at 11/6/17 4:21 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 11/6/17 4:21 PM

Interested in Joining a Dharma Overground Book Club?

Anyone interested in participating in a Dharma Overground Book Club were I to organize it? 

In another post, Daniel made this book recommendation -- 
Great Disciples of the Buddha, their lives, their works, their legacy by Nyanaponika Thera, Hellmuth Hecker and Bhikkhu Bodhi.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0861713818/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Daniel's Post: Want to read something truly amazing in the meantime (or listen to the same book well read as an audiobook)? Check out Great Disciples of the Buddha, their lives, their works, their legacy, by Nyanaponika Thera, Hellmuth Hecker and Bhikkhu Bodhi: a seriously amazing book with all sorts of remarkable goodies by authors that took the Pali Canon and its worldview as valid and don’t try to filter all the magic and spirits and dieties and the like through some materialist lens. Viewed properly, it is just damn inspiring, as well as helping one to really get a sense of what the Theravada is about in a coherent, story-like way. It is also a serious tome on magic and the jhanas. It does into great depths about karma, ethics, the history of the Sangha in the time of the Buddha, and is straight up great fun if you love the old stuff, which I do. It could be the basis for a whole series of Buddhist fantasy novels. It could be the basis of top-notch practice. I think that every modern scientific materialist Buddhis should read it and think about where they went wrong, as well as every Tibetan Buddhist who says batshit crazy stuff like, “The Theravada is all about helping one’s self, but it is us Mahayanists that have proper motivation to help others.” Seriously, read or listen to this book. It would be nearly impossible for any serious student of meditation to not get something great out of it.

If people are game, I could 
organize bi or tri-weekly reading goals and then leave it open for discussions about those sections. Thoughts? Anyone down?   
thumbnail
O'lorin, modified 6 Years ago at 11/7/17 8:02 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 11/7/17 8:02 AM

RE: Interested in Joining a Dharma Overground Book Club?

Yep, down.
thumbnail
elizabeth, modified 6 Years ago at 11/7/17 10:06 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 11/7/17 10:06 AM

I got the book and would be happy to have a book club to encourage me to read it. My pile of books to read has gotten a bit large of late...
thumbnail
Rednaxela, modified 6 Years ago at 11/7/17 11:32 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 11/7/17 11:30 AM

Alan Smithee:
Anyone interested in participating in a Dharma Overground Book Club were I to organize it? 

In another post, Daniel made this book recommendation -- 
Great Disciples of the Buddha, their lives, their works, their legacy by Nyanaponika Thera, Hellmuth Hecker and Bhikkhu Bodhi.
I am interested.  I ordered the book yesterday and it could be here today or tomorrow.
Alice S, modified 6 Years ago at 11/8/17 12:27 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 11/8/17 12:27 AM

Yes, interested. 
thumbnail
Alesh Vyhnal, modified 6 Years ago at 11/8/17 9:12 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 11/8/17 9:12 PM

I like this kind of books. Even if it is problably partly a mythology I think it is a good antidote to the claims like "you cannot be a buddhist because you do this and that". If I remember well in one of his books Mahási Sayadaw mentions a fisherman and even a drunkard who both attained arahatship.

But to please those who believe in the supernatural, just yesterday (for those of you in the USA it is still today--now I am bewildered emoticon ) I saw an article in The New Scientist, in which they claim that according to some new developements of the QM the physical world may not exist without our conciousness after all. emoticon

Breadcrumb