Hair trigger "access concentration"

Kai, modified 6 Years ago at 11/26/17 11:29 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 11/26/17 11:29 PM

Hair trigger "access concentration"

I'm not entirely sure where to put this but since this is how my concentration practice always begins I figured here would be ok. I don't even know if this is actual access concentration but I seem to have access to the first 4 jhanas so who knows. 

So today I'm sitting on a bench by my apartment just hanging out and listening to music. It was a nice song and I started to have a nice memory, when Bam! I was interrupted because my body started shaking. This happens all the time. It happens: when I'm slightly concentrated on something, when I stare at something, for no discernible reason at all, when I'm trying to relax, when I feel really happy, when I think about meditating, when I sit down to meditate, when I read dharma stuff, etc, etc. Sometimes it's not shaking, just tingling. 

This is frusturating. Sometimes, like this morning, I am in public and would prefer to not look like an absolute maniac or epilepsy victim. Sometimes I would like to just relax but not also meditate. Someone told me it would calm down but it really hasn't at all. How long is it likely to take to calm down, or is it just not gonna do that? Is there anything I can do to make this not happen in the first place(I have a feeling the answer is no)? Is it even normal or am I having a problem? 
thumbnail
Lars, modified 6 Years ago at 11/27/17 3:45 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 11/27/17 3:45 AM

RE: Hair trigger "access concentration"

"Still point" meditation seems to help with this (The Mind Illuminated has an exercise for it, as well as other sources online). I don't have much control over when the vibrations show up (and similar to yourself they just start automatically when I get even remotely concentrated, sometimes even without that), but settling into the stillness usually causes the vibrations to wind down and then stop. Inevitably they start up again soon after I get up etc, but as long as I stay focused on the stillness the body becomes almost completely at ease, no strong vibrations.
Kai, modified 6 Years ago at 11/29/17 10:12 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 11/29/17 10:12 AM

RE: Hair trigger "access concentration"

Thanks! I have that book so I'll find that and give it a try.

Breadcrumb