Message Boards Message Boards

Births and Deaths

Bernadette Roberts (1931–2017)

Bernadette Roberts (1931–2017)
Answer
11/28/17 5:47 PM
Bernadette Roberts passed away on November 27, 2017, at her home in Southern California, in her sleep. She had been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) a year ago, which eventually led to her death.

Her principal works were:

The Experience of No-Self. 1983. Revised edition, SUNY Press, 1993.

The Path to No-Self. 1985. Revised edition, SUNY Press, 1991.

What is Self? A Study of the Spiritual Journey in Terms of Consciousness. Sentient Publications, 2005.

RE: Bernadette Roberts (1931–2017)
Answer
11/28/17 6:52 PM as a reply to Derek2.
Thanks. I've been wanting to do a book review series on Christian contemplation at some point.

Answer
11/29/17 6:34 AM as a reply to Derek2.
didnĀ“t know she passed.

heard/read some interviews and vids.

liked her.

Answer
11/29/17 8:35 AM as a reply to Derek2.
Learned about her recently following up on Jeff Martin's mentions. I wanted to know if she really held on to christian dogma while going way beyond the usual christian experience of life. I got the definite impression reading her stuff that she was super empty and deep, but I tried reading a paper she wrote for a science and nonduality conference and it was bogglingly convoluted theology.

Answer
10/5/18 1:43 PM as a reply to Derek2.
It sometimes seems that someone writes or maybe says? things just for one person, even if they don't ever phsycially meet outside of the internet (or they may not meet on the internet, eh). This is sort of a conundrum. If you believe in reincarnation, this is problem solved, but outside of that experience it can be troubling when someone says blank about following blank and it doesn't make sense to the eyes or ears in their respective positions of credibility. Someone will come knocking on your door, or call you about a loan, and such things get swept under the rug, but really?