D's Practise Log - Starting from A&P

thumbnail
D, modified 6 Years ago at 12/13/17 1:45 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/13/17 1:44 PM

D's Practise Log - Starting from A&P

I didn't consider my previous meditation to be of any use of logging ; it's pretty standard stuff.

Recently though, I've experienced the A&P - This was most likely caused by the combination of constantly noticing the 3C's along with noticing cessations of sensory phenomena in daily life,  while also keeping my eyes open during meditation(which seems to be conducive to insight from what I've read on it.)

So, I guess now I can count myself as one of the big boys truly aiming for stream entry, and beyond, probably.

Currently I do the practises in TMI stage 3/4. If I'm going to be honest,  I completely forgot the fact that I can move on from stages, and just kept doing the stage 3/4 practises, so my 'actual' stage of practise is either 5/6 considering my concentration feels very nice and 'solid' now.

I want to try and get stream entry without going on any retreats. Not because I can't go to them - because I can  -  but If stream entry truly is a happiness independent of conditions, and accessible by any human,  then the practises leading up to it shouldn't be dependent on fragile conditions like being able to practise unobstructed for hours and hours in nice and silent conditions because that's not how life generally is. Life is messy and volatile.

I believe the key lies in constant off-cushion practise and awareness, I'm pretty interested in mahamudra type practises so I'll be reading upon on Loch Kelly's 'Shift into Freedom' soon for some auxiliary practises I can while I'm out and about.

I'll update at a minimum of once every 2 weeks, and maybe more if something interesting happens.
thumbnail
D, modified 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 6:11 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 6:10 AM

RE: D's Practise Log - Starting from A&P

A noticeable effect seems to be an increased ringing in my ears.

This is normal, since I have tinnitus, but it seems to be really fucking loud now.

Anyone else experienced something like this? And does it eventually quiten down post-A&P?
thumbnail
Lars, modified 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 7:33 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 7:27 AM

D.:
A noticeable effect seems to be an increased ringing in my ears.

This is normal, since I have tinnitus, but it seems to be really fucking loud now.

Anyone else experienced something like this? And does it eventually quiten down post-A&P?

When it gets "really fucking loud" it makes a great meditation object. emoticon

Here's a thread with a little advice on working with it, there are others on here as well:

https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/6866638
thumbnail
D, modified 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 8:29 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 8:28 AM

I have considered using it as a Meditation object but there is a fear in the back of my mind that it could excarbate my tinnitus.

But, I guess I'll try and experiment with it.
thumbnail
alguidar, modified 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 10:33 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 10:33 AM

when you crossed the A & P

where you doing only cushion noting? 

or were you noting during daily life?
thumbnail
D, modified 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 11:15 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 11:13 AM

I was noting 'gone' whenever any sensations subsided in daily life.

Then I got blissful feelings as everything faded in and out of existence, later followed by electric and sexual sensations and some slight spasms. Along with strong clarity and equanimity.

I still seem to get these sensations off-cushion. On-cushion my concentration got very solid and slightly vibratory.
thumbnail
D, modified 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 5:55 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 5:55 PM

Anyway, it seems I'm headed for the DN soon.

Is it easier to handle as a primarily samatha-based practitioner vs vipassana-based?

Breadcrumb