Not on the insight path but got a blip?

Will S, modified 6 Years ago at 12/16/17 11:57 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/16/17 11:54 PM

Not on the insight path but got a blip?

Hoping you all can help me with some advice.
First some background, i have been a meditator since the early 90's on and off, currently im doing a chan practice my teacher gave me, "abide with mind"
A few days ago i woke up with an amazingly clear mind, i guess i had been meditating in my sleep, everything seemed just as it was but there was a sense of everythign emanating from a point and of spaciousness, somewhat like my normal state of practice but more profound, also around that time i discovered a new, unspected, more refined if you will state of "mind" in my practice.

I beleive it was shortly after that, i was watching a youtube vid and had a blip. In my 62 years i have experience nothing like it. It was as though my conscious awareness had been turned off and then back on again like a lightbulb. It was just a split second.

Is this what is meant by cessation? I wasnt meditating at the time, but if this is an opportunity presenting itself i want to take advantage of it, but i dont know much about the path on which this is a landmark, being a chan guy.
thumbnail
Laurel Carrington, modified 6 Years ago at 12/18/17 9:54 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/18/17 9:54 PM

RE: Not on the insight path but got a blip?

What happened right afterward? And what has happened since?
Will S, modified 6 Years ago at 12/19/17 4:13 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/19/17 4:07 AM

Just regular life has happened. I have had the blissful floating and openness that some have described after this sort of thing as a result of meditation events, but i didnt get that after this. These days tho i walk around with some presence of "mind" if you will almost all the time.

This particular event was different, i wasnt meditating, just dropped out of normal waking consciousness for a moment and then dropped back in again.

The only noticeable difference is that my concentration in practice is somewhat impared after the blip and the events that preceded it, which i have learned to expect after something like this, as a result of my grasping at the memory of past mental states and the expectation of current or future ones.

I did contact my teacher that gave me the practice im currently doing and part of his reply was that "whether it was important or unimportant, is secondary to your sincere continuation of the practice you're currently doing." and i realize he is right. I cant think of many good consequences that would arise from assigning special importance to this and the less positive consequences of assigning special importance to it include imparing my practice with the nonsense of comparision and conceit.

Thank you for replying, i do appreciate that emoticon
thumbnail
Laurel Carrington, modified 6 Years ago at 12/19/17 8:19 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/19/17 8:19 AM

You have a good teacher. Keep practicing is the best thing to do. Sometimes these blips and their significance become clearer over time. 

Breadcrumb