Metta - Brahmaviharas advice

Bhumi, modified 6 Years ago at 1/3/18 4:50 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/3/18 4:50 AM

Metta - Brahmaviharas advice

I would like to start a daily metta meditation practice. I think it would be very helpful to increase the quality of my life along with mindfulness and clear comprehension but I am almost clueless about how the method works. Most of the methods presented are often very vague and not as 'concrete' as I would have expected. What method or book do you guys recommend to start and sustain a good practice of the brahmaviharas?
thumbnail
Rednaxela, modified 6 Years ago at 1/3/18 1:12 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/3/18 9:14 AM

RE: Metta - Brahmaviharas advice

i found Sharon Salzberg's Loving Kindness a quite helpful practice book.

mostly now i repeat i phase i borrowed from a Bhante G book, Beyond Mindfulness, which suggested Metta as a doorway to the jhanas in so far as it overcomes the hindrances.

Anyway, the phrase i chose was:

May i be well, safe and peaceful
May i have patience, understanding and courage as i face the inevitable difficulties, challenges and failures in life
May i overcome them with morality, forgiveness, integrity, compassion, midfulness and wisdom.
May i be at ease.

The full practice repeats this phrase for i) friends and relatives, ii) people to which you are indifferent and, lastly, iii) people that you don't even like.  So, for example, "May my neighbor be well, safe and peaceful ..."

After regularly using this phrase for a week or so, either at the end or beginning of a meditation, i was surprised to notice my heart on fire.  
thumbnail
This very moment, modified 6 Years ago at 1/3/18 9:28 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/3/18 9:28 AM

RE: Metta - Brahmaviharas advice

[quote=]BhumiI would like to start a daily metta meditation practice. I think it would be very helpful to increase the quality of my life along with mindfulness and clear comprehension but I am almost clueless about how the method works. Most of the methods presented are often very vague and not as 'concrete' as I would have expected. What method or book do you guys recommend to start and sustain a good practice of the brahmaviharas?

I have been doing the TWIM practice for about a month now and can attest to it being very helpful.  Type in TWIM to search engine here or
look up Ven. Bhante Vimilaramsi on internet. 

Breadcrumb