Created 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 1:44 PM

RE: Atman

What are you trying to accomplish? 
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 3:03 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 3:03 PM

Angra Mainyu:
If we are are atoms, electrons, etc. then shoud't figuring out atom level stuff take priority over human stuff?

Sure. Except: WHAT atoms or electrons? What separate ANYTHING are we talking about?
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 3:22 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 3:22 PM

Angra Mainyu:
atoms exist, electrons exist, neurons exist, people exists, integer spin gauge bosons exist
in todays times you need to be versatile about this stuff to be considered really enlightened
I don't see it that way. I guess I missed the bus on the versatility thing. emoticon
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 3:54 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 3:54 PM

Well, now.... I can know how to program a computer to calculate the sum of a series of numbers. Or, I can give the computer the numbers, let it calculate the sum and use that sum for some practical human purpose. Accounting. Finance. Whatever. I don't need to know how to program the computer to be able to use the output of its calculations. Likewise, I don't need to know anything about atoms and molecules to know how to see the color blue, feel love, experience three seconds of my existence or awaken using meditatoin practices.

Atoms are interesting, in my opinion, but I don't need to know their details through chemistry or physics to use them as a functioning human being.
seth tapper, modified 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 4:01 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 4:01 PM

Why do anything? 
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 4:22 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 4:22 PM

seth tapper:
Why do anything? 

Who does? emoticon
seth tapper, modified 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 7:26 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/17/18 7:26 PM

makes some sense to me. 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 6 Years ago at 1/18/18 7:26 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/18/18 7:26 AM

Obviously perception of matter itself isn't easy either. It takes effort to practice, lots of effort. If you can afford to live your life as just human not practicing to become god-like then it is not my job to change your mind ^_^

Correct - it's not your job  emoticon

junglist, modified 6 Years ago at 1/18/18 8:03 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/18/18 8:03 AM

Angra Mainyu:
If we are are atoms, electrons, etc. then shoud't figuring out atom level stuff take priority over human stuff? If intelligence comes from neuron networks then wouldn't it be like only chance in a long while that we have to figure some interresting atom stuff out?

I do not mean it like all encompassing suffering after death... but I figure that if you do not know atom level stuff then it might as well be for you =)
Your post makes me wonder a couple of things that I hope you might shed some light on:
- The title of your post is "Atman". You didn't mention atman in your post, so I wonder how it relates precisely to the atomic topic?
- Since this is a forum largely concerned with meditation, do you have some technique of figuring out atomic level stuff? From your average post I can imagine that you do emoticon
Paul Smith, modified 6 Years ago at 1/18/18 7:21 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/18/18 7:21 PM

Ther are no atoms. There is just math. It's a bit like: math is to atoms as atoms are to us. Then by your logic we should study math, but is there math without the mind? So study the mind, so meditate. full circle, problem solved ;)
JP, modified 6 Years ago at 1/19/18 2:02 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/19/18 2:02 PM

Do you have any atom-related visualization practices?  Is there any way you usually work with atoms and their flavors?  Are you trying to appreciate the experiences of an individual atom at a time, or what it feels like for a large number of atoms to be doing their own thing?
Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 1/21/18 7:03 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/21/18 7:03 AM

Angra Mainyu:
Get comfortable with single neuron perspective first. That your experience is only of single neuron.

How does that translate to English and practice? Awareness of a single object is of a single neuron? And a wide non-focused awareness is of many?
thumbnail
streamsurfer, modified 6 Years ago at 1/22/18 5:17 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/22/18 5:17 AM

Angra Mainyu:
Correct - it's not your job  emoticon
That is right
My job as 10th Bhumi Bodhisattva is making sure everyone hears my messages with enough clarity to be able to utilize more of the same type of resources that I can and also minimize any potential adverse effects which these things can bring by pre-teaching necessary skills to avoid and or solve these issues in timely fashion.

Now, if I am good at it is not really for me to judge other than for optimization purposes ^_^

Hi,
which criteria do you use for knowing the bumis? I mean, recognizing them yourself or maybe even looking at other practitioners.
I found this
https://www.thoughtco.com/ten-bhumis-of-buddhism-450015
and found it to be, well vague.
What did make you sure you are in 10th bumi, which is, according to this link, the heaven of gods? emoticon
thumbnail
Lars, modified 6 Years ago at 1/24/18 4:53 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/24/18 4:52 PM

Angra Mainyu:
There are many types of heavens. You do not really need to be a ten to explore pure abodes but it does help. Tushita is definitely one of the nicer ones. It is relatively easy to access it since about half of the way.

Being Bodhisattva, especially at ten Bhumi, there is a lot of work to be done with all sorts of realms, some not very pure. I guess you need to like this job and be open minded XD.

I've read that Amitabha's Pure Land is the easiest for less advanced meditators to access, but i'm guessing you'd need to be able to access the formless jhanas (perhaps even the 8th?) to get there. Which did you try first?

The idea of impure realms is amusing, are you talking about the hells, or are you talking about realms created intentionally or unintentionally by those with sufficient ability, but lacking moral development?