Increasing Felicitousness

Jason Lissel, modified 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 7:01 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 7:01 PM

Increasing Felicitousness

Whenever you first view something, a feeling from the amygdala arises within the first 12 milliseconds or so. Then after 25 milliseconds, an emotion may arise due to neocortex activity. Given this, how do you increase felicitousness? Do you look around trying to keep the neocortex activity as inactive as your can, or do you look around with the thought that everything is good?
Trent , modified 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 7:21 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 7:20 PM

RE: Increasing Felicitousness (Answer)

Sup,

Jason L:
Given this, how do you increase felicitousness?

This answer may be a bit vague, but: anyway you can. I have heard and read many different ways of going about it. For instance, in the recent podcast where Dan and Tarin spoke about related matters, Dan talked about viewing his house as his "vacation house" and his car as his "vacation car," and the like. Simply viewing things in that manner can aid one in recognizing the impeccable freshness, wonder, and excitement (among other felicitous-friendly things) that's available. For another (quite different) example, I often just tried to do the various conditional things (video-games, for instance) that were already conducive to felicity for me, and then I just sorta carried that on through the times that I wasn't doing those activities. In this way, the activities served as a bit of a launch pad into really, really enjoying this moment.

In essence, everything is far better than "good"-- perfect being as good as it gets-- and it behooves one to do anything possible to see that, each moment again, right here, right now, in any salubrious manner available.

Trent
Jason Lissel, modified 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 7:23 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 7:23 PM

RE: Increasing Felicitousness

Thanks Trent, that clears things up for me.
Trent , modified 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 9:14 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 9:14 PM

No problem, and I forgot to welcome you to the site...so...welcome!

Trent
Jason Lissel, modified 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 9:20 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/11/10 9:20 PM

Thanks Trent. It's good to be here!
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 8/13/10 6:49 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/13/10 6:49 PM

Trent H.:
For another (quite different) example, I often just tried to do the various conditional things (video-games, for instance) that were already conducive to felicity for me, and then I just sorta carried that on through the times that I wasn't doing those activities. In this way, the activities served as a bit of a launch pad into really, really enjoying this moment.

Can you say more about this? I'm trying to understand this AF practice, and having a little trouble, because I've tried the whole pop-culture practice of "just do stuff that you like and enjoy life" and that didn't seem to be enough in itself to create any real inner change. I don't think that's exactly what you're suggesting though.
thumbnail
Phantom of the Opera, modified 13 Years ago at 8/15/10 6:36 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/15/10 6:36 AM

Daniel Johnson:
the whole pop-culture practice of "just do stuff that you like and enjoy life" and that didn't seem to be enough in itself to create any real inner change. I don't think that's exactly what you're suggesting though.

"Love what you do, do what you love": I suggest you buy a Blackberry!
Just kidding.
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 8/16/10 11:44 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/16/10 11:44 AM

Paul C Henri:

"Love what you do, do what you love": I suggest you buy a Blackberry!
Just kidding.

Thanks, will it bring me happiness? are you selling? Finally, I've found the answer!

emoticon