Is this Nirodha Samapatti?

Derek, modified 13 Years ago at 8/17/10 2:04 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/17/10 2:04 PM

Is this Nirodha Samapatti?

Imagine that "I" am water -- that is, water is an analogy for the awareness that is me. When I "think," or my awareness is in the "thinking," it is as if the water is wavy and splashing around. Then when I manage to stop my thoughts, all the splashes and waves stop, and the water becomes flat.

But there is still an "undercurrent" that moves though the water. Then when I "still" the undercurrent, there is total stillness and crystal clearness.

Then it's as if someone pulls the plug out of a bathtub, and all the water (awareness) disappears down the plug hole. Even awarness itself is gone.

Sometimes I have come back from this, and seen that there is no breath. The eyeballs revert to a normal position, having been turned upward during the disappearance of awareness.

Is this disappearance of awareness Nirodha Samapatti?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 8/17/10 9:30 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/17/10 9:30 PM

RE: Is this Nirodha Samapatti? (Answer)

Good question.

I would personally need more information to make an informed guess.

Read the chapter in MCTB and see what you think.

There are very specific things about the setup, entrance, exit, afterglow, and insight attainments of the person doing it that all need to be there.

Can you tell us more about how you set it up, whether or not you think you are an anagami and why, as well as what the few moments of the entrance and exit are like, as well as the afterglow and side effects afterwards?

Multiple things, such as well-attained Neither Perception Nor Yet Non-Perception (8th jhana) as well as Fruitions might possibly be described this way, though each has its own aspects and I am not sure that either necessarily fits.

Tell us more so that we may guess with more accuracy,

Daniel
Derek, modified 13 Years ago at 8/19/10 3:21 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/19/10 3:21 PM

RE: Is this Nirodha Samapatti?

Thanks, Daniel. Clearly more investigation is required to be certain.