Maps and the territory

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 16 Years ago at 2/9/08 8:05 AM
Created 16 Years ago at 2/9/08 8:05 AM

Maps and the territory

Author: Soakn108
Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

I am officially in awe of the maps (Jhanas and Nanas). Simply brilliant! It reminds me of the stages of progress represented by the paths on the Cabalistic tree of life (22 subjective paths if memory serves me). Very cool! Quick newbie question. Nose vs. abdomen, any difference, does it matter?

Thanks

Greg
thumbnail
Florian, modified 16 Years ago at 2/9/08 9:23 AM
Created 16 Years ago at 2/9/08 9:23 AM

RE: Maps and the territory

Some days, I can 'catch' my breath more easily at the abdomen, other days the nostrils work better.

Once I can stay with either sensation for some time, I start to examine it - is it tight or flowing, etc.

Then, I examine different parts of my body during each breath, aiming for a "whole body" breath awareness. At this point, I don't focus on abdomen or nostrils any more, but on wider areas of the body, ideally the whole body.

Then I try to relax with each breath, looking for cramped muscles and making them "light" with the in breaths, and "heavy" with the out-breath. The breath tends to get more "quiet" at this point.

All this time, I note any uncomfortable feelings. Even the little "squeeze" at the end of a breath. I'm on the outlook for dukkha here. I'm actually trying to follow the anapanasati sutta, combined with Dan's recommendation to observe the three characteristics.

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 16 Years ago at 2/9/08 8:00 PM
Created 16 Years ago at 2/9/08 8:00 PM

RE: Maps and the territory

As monkeymind seems to be saying, and as I agree, and as the Bridge players say: "Lead through strength," which means go for what is easy first and once you have strong concentration broaden it out or play with the other.