Message Boards Message Boards

Blog
Answer
4/13/18 12:00 AM
Hello everyone: I’d like to invite people to take a look at my new blog, which includes reflections on Buddhist teachings woven through my autobiography. Eventually I will bring myself up to the present, my practice, and its fruits. Please feel free to comment and, even better, follow. Thanks! 

The blog is at https://lightgettingin-wp.com/

RE: Blog
Answer
4/13/18 10:04 AM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Such a lovely read! Your warmth, kindness and detailed nature shines through. I can't find the subscribe button though! emoticon

Answer
4/13/18 12:07 PM as a reply to Yilun Ong.
Thanks for the kind words. There’s a bar with the Wordpress symbol and Follow, underneath the archives but above the recent posts, on the right side of the screen. emoticon

Answer
4/13/18 1:12 PM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Good, honest writing. Thanks for sharing! 

Answer
4/13/18 2:41 PM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Bookmarked! Thanks for the link. emoticon

Answer
4/13/18 7:18 PM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Good writing! Unfortunately more examples of domestic violence. This clinging thing is a problem.

Answer
4/14/18 9:47 AM as a reply to Richard Zen.
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, domestic violence is in my past, clinging and all that it entails. 

Answer
4/14/18 10:07 AM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Laurel Carrington:
Thanks for the kind words. There’s a bar with the Wordpress symbol and Follow, underneath the archives but above the recent posts, on the right side of the screen. emoticon

That doesn't work Laurel. It asked me to login. emoticon You may want to try this: www.wpbeginner.com/wp.../how-to-add-email-subscriptions-for-your-wordpress-blog/

Answer
4/14/18 1:08 PM as a reply to Yilun Ong.
I guess a Wordpress site requires followers to have their own WP site. I’ll have to investigate further. In the meantime, your link doesn’t work for me either. It seems to be referring to a page on the old platform. Or maybe it’s my iPad acting up. It’s been balking lately. On a possibly related note, are other people seeing lavender pages on here? 

Answer
4/14/18 3:07 PM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Laurel Carrington:
I guess a Wordpress site requires followers to have their own WP site. 

There is a People configuration option in WP that lets you add (invite) followers using just their email addresses. Haven't tested it, though.

Answer
4/14/18 4:46 PM as a reply to Ward Law.
The link was contructed incorrectly, thanks to the DhO, it seems. Here's the proper link:

https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp.../how-to-add-email-subscriptions-for-your-wordpress-blog

Answer
6/6/18 5:21 PM as a reply to Chris Marti.

Answer
6/6/18 6:46 PM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
A lovely read. I appreciate your candor and clear writing style.

Answer
6/7/18 1:20 AM as a reply to Andromeda.
Thank you, dear! I seem to need to let things simmer in my mind for awhile, and then what comes out is what needs to come out. I had a vague idea about what I was going to say in this most recent post, but what actually got said was a surprise. That’s the way most of them are. 

Answer
6/7/18 6:03 AM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Yes, the career thing is tricky. As you point out in the post, we can see it through different lenses. We recently had our house painted. A 60-year-old member of the crew climbed to the very peak of our two-storey house on a huge ladder, carrying a can of black paint in one hand, and then climbed on top of the chimney to paint the cap. He was on his hands and knees in this precarious position on the very top of the freaking chimney. I thought, God, I have it so easy. I sit there with my Mac and make money--and a lot more than this guy. And then you have the poor schleps out there trying to sell, sell, sell, impose their will on others and extract moolah from them in order to obtain status and security, including job security. I'm so thankful sometimes that I don't have to live like that. I never feel that I'm facing the threat of replacement. So I guess that's the lens of appreciation. But then there's that other lens that's all about complaint, seeing through the limitations of your vocation, comparing what's going on in your life to idealized versions and so forth. It's quite a mirror. To this day I'm still not sure how much energy to devote to my career. I default to just getting by and trying to appreciate and invest in other things--meditation, playing music, exercise, relationships, etc.--but my sense is that my relative lack of engagement when it comes to career stuff could end up being a pretty big regret eventually. I'm still not exactly sure.  

Answer
6/23/18 10:44 AM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.

Answer
6/23/18 7:11 PM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Laurel Carrington:

Very important practice and hard to do in this society.

Answer
6/27/18 5:57 AM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Laurel Carrington:
Great post--especially the elucidation of the challenges a person can expect to face. 

Answer
7/6/18 11:04 AM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
A bit of autobiography, describing my first encounter with MCTB, Kenneth Folk, and Buddhist Geeks. It amazes me to recall just how exotic everything seemed at the time (November or December 2010). Now I feel as if we’re all old friends. I was also intimidated as hell. Anyone else feel that way?

https://lightgettingin-wp.com/2018/07/06/twitter-distraction-and-geeky-buddhists/

Answer
7/6/18 1:53 PM as a reply to Laurel Carrington.
Hi Laurel,
thanks for sharing. I just read most of your blog. You really have a gift for writing. Sad to read about the domestic violence and the trembling bow arm emoticon