How to start?

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 5/27/08 4:37 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 5/27/08 4:37 PM

How to start?

Author: zumacraig
Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

so i am new to all of this. have read ken mcleod's book, wake up to your life. i found it quite inspiring and am now looking for a 'place' to begin practicing and after checking out daniel's, trying to figure out how to start practicing. to a newbie, this doesn't seem that straight forward. i like doing zazen and wondered if going to the local soto zendo and doing zazen 1 hr. a day would be a place to start. do i really need a teacher?
thanks for any insight friends.
craog
Nathan I S, modified 15 Years ago at 5/28/08 3:53 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 5/28/08 3:53 AM

RE: How to start?

I will weigh-in on the "get a teacher" side. I understand that many people don't have a teacher, or are at a retreat center at the mercy of whoever jet-setted in that week. Skills are hard to learn by yourself; meditation is a skill. Books are good, but the problem is a book can't know your practice, can't inspire you the way another human can, can't answer questions (which should be practice-oriented), and can't offer advice to adjust your practice. And considering how difficult practice can be and how inaccessible teachers at a retreat center can be, having someone you trust to guide you is a tremendous boon. It takes a little while to shop around, though. Go to free classes; it doesn't listening to more than a few questions to see if the teacher is going to entertain Pop Psychology Buddhism or is going to have a technical approach. That, and keep in mind that people are weird. You will probably have to jump some hoops. I hate jumping hoops, but this is one of the few times in life where jumping hoops is justified.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 5/28/08 5:48 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 5/28/08 5:48 AM

Author: zumacraig

thanks so much for the reply. you are right about the hoops. the options i basically have are several informal groups, a soto zen center, a scholastic tibet temple, and shambhala. went to shambhala and it was a mess. no real focus on training etc. just sitting and random dharma talks. the zen center was cool. people didn't make a point to convert me which was refreshing and at the same time i wish there was a bit more of a welcoming. there is an abbot who i assume is the 'teacher'. i think that if i show up there a lot and introduce myself, meeting with him is potentially an option. the other groups don't have teachers, so they say. just folks getting together to meditate and discuss their practice. so i guess i'll check out the zen center again.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 5/30/08 7:59 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 5/30/08 7:59 AM

Author: buffduff

You can also start by going on a 10-day Vipassana course. http://dhamma.org These courses are donation-based, so you can go for free or cheap. It's a fabulous way to get initiated into the practice of insight meditation.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 5/30/08 3:51 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 5/30/08 3:51 PM

Author: nails88

How about of considering the hardcore practitioners in this forum as teachers? they're all here to help, you can tell your experiences to them and get some pointers - as for me I really want to go on a retreat but don't have the time or money
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 6/1/08 5:00 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 6/1/08 5:00 PM

Author: ccasey

Thanks for the tip, it has led me to inquiring into whether or not there are still openings in an upcoming retreat I just found out about!