Going with the Flow: Ways and Means

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 5/15/08 5:58 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 5/15/08 5:58 PM

Going with the Flow: Ways and Means

Author: ccasey
Forum: Practical Dharma

During quick noting practice, the breath slows down to almost nothing, then I lose all contact with the body, and enter a vast space, look around, and then understand local space, conditional body and vastness, and there is a preference (or integrity) to stay with this process. My concern is that I have no idea in real time how long this takes, because it is new during quite long sits, (only three times now). Now that this is happening, (and who know if it will continue either), never the less, I have a concern about going to a sesshin, where there are definite times for period of standing , bowing, sitting, etc. Most of the folks stand up pretty quickly and seem happy to be able to get up. I'd prefer to stay and/or move slower. I can hardly move an inch after knowing this, or I move slowly, knowing how new this is. I need to let it happen irregardless less of what is happening around me, right? It is complex, with awareness all around and within, so trust the process, right? I'm preparing for another three and a half day sesshin- zen-soto style. I know that a sesshin is a good local option for staying with the process (for a parent), but having to move my body when my reality is that there is no body...

Also, usually, before this happens, I surrender my heart, and/or my heart surrenders, in deep racking sobs of openness, I sense it coming, (at home, I feel relaxed and open to this process, although it's not easy). When I talked about these feelings in docusan, I was told that I must stop feeling, but the visceral release seems to bring on the possibility for more awareness. Anyone with similar experience or feedback is welcome.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 15 Years ago at 5/16/08 8:40 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 5/16/08 8:40 PM

RE: Going with the Flow: Ways and Means

This is obviously coming at this from a very different set of models and assumptions, so bear that in mind. When I think of space, body vanishing, steady states that people don't want to leave, loss of time, etc. I think of samatha/concentration/pure jhana, which has it benefits, as you mention, but also tends to trap people there and keep insight into the true nature of things from blossoming, as has been routinely noted. Thus, from this point of view, one should decide: do I want to get good at concentration states or progress in insight and investigate those concentration states, which might not be as pleasant in the short term?
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 7/18/08 5:29 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 7/18/08 5:29 PM

Author: nepia

If you were one pointed on the Object of meditation or the object of focus, then the mind is fully concentrated on that object...once the mind is fully focused then the mind does not percieve any other perception and even the perception of the body is lost..It ignores or it "lets go" of all other perception which normally would come in to its focus...It takes the time as long as it comes to that point.. Keep the focus on the Object and only on the object..You can then go into very high states of concentrations called the JHANAS...YOU MUST UNDERSTAND clearly whats happening or it will confuse you more..
Please write to me on sunil2sayan@yahoo.co.uk as I dont visit the sight often..With metta. Sunil PS..Sobing does not get one anywhere but perfect balance of mind will get you there..You have a great potential..
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 7/21/08 6:01 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 7/21/08 6:01 AM

Author: ccasey

Arising and passing, arising and passing. I started this thread, and now the thread seems to have passed for me. The more I practice, the more I understand. The best option is continuous practice so that I can truly explore the nature of all my feelings, and other phenomenon.

Breadcrumb