Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 16 Years ago at 2/27/08 4:57 AM
Created 16 Years ago at 2/27/08 4:57 AM

Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw

Author: woman_alone
Forum: Book Reviews

I noticed that Daniel has highly recommended Practical Insight Meditation by Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw. I don't think it's exactly the same thing, but a while ago I downloaded his book: "Practical Vipassana Exercises" from Buddhanet.net. It's a great instructional on insight practice, or at least I've enjoyed it. The link is still live at the following:
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/mahasit1.pdf
I'll also try attaching it to the page (if I can figure it out).
Thoughts, comments, other reviews of this material welcome!
Nathan I S, modified 16 Years ago at 2/28/08 1:01 AM
Created 16 Years ago at 2/28/08 1:01 AM

RE: Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw

There's a copy of Practical Insight Meditation in full available on Google Books. It is a quick read; I believe that "Practical Vipassana Exercises" is an excerpt from Practical Insight Meditation.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 4/2/08 7:17 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 4/2/08 7:17 AM

Author: Tracy.

For those who want to buy a hard copy of the book, I found that the cheapest way to get it in the US is from a site called Kapruka (http://www.lanka.info/shops/booksStore/buddhistBooksDetails.jsp?ID=book00B035). They ship from Kentucky, so shipping costs will probably be less than $1 for US addresses.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 4/2/08 7:24 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 4/2/08 7:24 AM

Forgot to mention that's for the hard copy of "Practical Insight Meditation," not "Practical Vipassana Exercises."
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 15 Years ago at 4/4/08 5:16 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 4/4/08 5:16 AM

I am so glad that people are reading this book. It is not just highly recommended, it is my favorite dharma book of all time. While some may consider this next point absurd, I literally just practiced along thinking, "Alright, now I am on page 33, I just need to get to the stage on page 38 and I'll be ok...", so I would continue the technique, with my faith and motivation bolstered by that simple, amazing book, and I would move along through the pages (stages) as predicted, and that's how I got stream entry.

Some may dismiss this point as too simplistic, or spiritual materialism, or some other thing, but for me it was just following time tested instructions to get the expected results, and it all worked out, and because of it and other supports there are things like the Dharma Overground, so my most profound thanks to the late Mahasi Sayadaw, without whom I would be very unlikely to have understood any of this. If I see far it is because I stand on the shoulders of that giant and the giants he trained.
Martin Mai, modified 15 Years ago at 4/7/08 9:00 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 4/7/08 9:00 AM

Hehe, funny to read this, Daniel. I´m doing quite the same thing with your book at the moment and I don´t think it´s spiritual materielism since it requires a lot of honesty and self-observation to know which "page" you´re in at the moment. I would not call this too simplistic either because the technique itself is even more simple but yet powerfull.
But it really sounds a bit funny, though
thumbnail
Jackson Wilshire, modified 15 Years ago at 7/19/08 12:39 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 7/19/08 12:39 PM

It's sad to me that some people view following time-tested instructions as simplistic or as "spiritual materialism". For instance, let’s say that someone wants to learn how to assemble a car engine. Would it be considered to simplistic to reach for manual for guidance? I know nothing about cars, so I’m pretty sure it would take more than a few lifetimes for me to learn how to build an engine from basic parts. With that it mind, it makes perfect sense to use the wisdom provided by accomplished masters in order to progress along the path and chart that progress along the way. Step-by-step instruction isn’t sexy, but it IS effective.

I have not been meditating for as long as many (if not most) of the Dharma Overground participants, and my accomplishments a low-level at best. But ever since I began really looking at maps of meditation (specifically from MCTemoticon my practice has become much progressive and effective. I am on the edge of some new territory that I don’t think I would be able to have understood if it were I was going if it weren’t for the generosity of the more advanced practitioners I’ve been able to interact with through writings and here at D.O. Now that I have an idea of where meditation can lead, I am even more dedicated to continue to practice hard.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 9/3/08 5:33 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 9/3/08 5:33 AM

Belated update: it turns out that Kapruka actually ships from Sri Lanka, not the US. It takes about two weeks to get stuff from them, not a few days as I originally expected.
thumbnail
Jackson Wilshire, modified 15 Years ago at 9/15/08 6:42 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 9/15/08 6:42 PM

After reading through the free online version of Practical Insight Meditation on Google Books, I decided to purchase a hard copy from www.pariyatti.org. Pariyatti is a Non-Profit out of Washington State, which is quite close to my home in Portland, OR. I ordered the book on Thursday afternoon and received it today (Monday). The shipping & handling is kind of steep, but I thought it was worth it.

My experience with Pariyatti was great. If you want a hard copy of this book I'd check out their online bookstore.

This is quickly becoming my favorite dharma book. Thanks, Daniel, for the recommendation!

Breadcrumb