Looking for a text

Sup Dude, modified 5 Years ago at 5/5/18 12:57 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/5/18 12:57 PM

Looking for a text

Hello.

There's a very short, yet very dense text on the progress of insight that I seem to remember has been linked on these boards more than once, often recommended in the same breath as the Progress of Insight. I think it's about one page. I know this is not a whole lot to go on, but does anyone have any idea what text I'm talking about and what it's called?
rik, modified 5 Years ago at 5/5/18 1:20 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/5/18 1:19 PM

RE: Looking for a text

Tashi Tharpa, modified 5 Years ago at 5/5/18 4:53 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/5/18 4:53 PM

Probably not what you're looking for specifically but Ron Crouch has a nice, readable description, as well as a short dharma talk.

https://alohadharma.com/the-map/

http://ia600709.us.archive.org/4/items/WhatIsThePath/WhatIsThePath_.mp3
Sup Dude, modified 5 Years ago at 5/6/18 12:01 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/6/18 12:01 AM

As I recall, the author was not a Westerner.

Looking for this text I rediscovered Practical Insight Meditation. What a great text.

It's not terribly important. From what I remember, it was mostly direct pointing. I think. So I'll amend my question: can anyone recommend me some dense, concise direct pointing?
neko, modified 5 Years ago at 5/6/18 3:48 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/6/18 3:48 AM

The Progress of Insight is exclusively Theravada.

Direct Pointing is Tibetan.

Either you misremember, or I am super interested emoticon
Tashi Tharpa, modified 5 Years ago at 5/6/18 6:36 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/6/18 6:36 AM

Yeah, I think there are some crossed nomenclature wires, but here's something from Kenneth Folk (this is different from MCTB approach, tho...)

You are unenlightened to the extent that you are embedded in your experience. You think that your experience is you. You must dis-embed. Do this by taking each aspect of experience as object (looking at it and recognizing it) in a systematic way. Then, surrender entirely.

Do these practices, exactly as written:

First Gear
Objectify body sensations. If you can name them, you’re not embedded there. Notice sensations and note to yourself: “Pressure, tightness, tension, release, coolness, warmth, softness, hardness, tingling, itching, burning, stinging, pulsing, throbbing, seeing, tasting, smelling, hearing.” If I am looking at something it is not “I”.

Objectify feeling-tone. Are sensations pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral? If you can sit quietly and attentively for five minutes and note pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral every few seconds, you are not embedded at that layer of mind.

Objectify mind states. Investigation, curiosity, happiness, anxiety, amusement, sadness, joy, anger, frustration, annoyance, irritation, aversion, desire, disgust, fear, worry, calm, embarrassment, shame, self-pity, compassion, love, contentment, dullness, sleepiness, bliss, exhilaration, triumph, self-loathing. Name them and be free of them. These mind states are not “you;” we know this because if there is a “you” it is the one who is looking, not what is being looked at. Below, we will challenge the notion that there is any “you” at all.

Objectify thoughts. Categorize them: planning thought, anticipating thought, worrying thought, imaging thought, remembering thought, rehearsing thought, scenario spinning thought, fantasy thought, self-recrimination thought. Come up with your own vocabulary and see your thoughts as though they belong to someone else. The content of your thoughts is not relevant except to the extent that it helps you to label and therefore objectify them.

Second Gear
Objectify the apparent subject. Who am “I”? Turn the light of attention back on itself. Who knows about this experience? Are you causing this experience in this moment? To whom is this happening?

Third Gear
Surrender entirely. This moment is as it is, with or without your participation. This does not mean that you must be passive. Surrender also to activity.
Sup Dude, modified 5 Years ago at 5/7/18 1:43 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/7/18 1:42 AM

neko:
The Progress of Insight is exclusively Theravada.

Direct Pointing is Tibetan.

Either you misremember, or I am super interested emoticon

Yeah, I think memory does not serve in this instance. I've probably been looking for a gestalt of several texts I've read at some point or other, the primary one possibly/probably being the Heart Sutra. It's... *kind of* like direct pointing?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 9:54 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 9:54 AM

What you are looking for might be found in the sutra mahamudra literature, as well as Dzogchen, as they have aspects that are very similar.

Curiously, the Theravada also has similar aspects, found in places like the Udana and its concept of not-self.

Dogen also emhasizes on his practice-enlightenment, which is a Zen variant of direct pointing.

You might check out Loche Kelly’s Shift into Freedom, or one of my favorites, Clarifying the Natural State.

Breadcrumb